The Classic Leica M6 Returns! And the 2022 Edition is Better than Ever

Jason Schneider

the Camera Collector
Local time
5:24 PM
The Leica M6 Classic returns!
And the 2022 edition is better, and more elegant than the 1984 original

By Jason Schneider

On October 24[SUP]th[/SUP] 2022 Leica finally confirmed persistent rumors and officially announced that it was bringing back a new, lightly refreshed 2022 version of the much loved Leica M6, a camera that was in production in its original form (now dubbed the Classic) for an astounding 14 years from 1984-1998, and as the 2mm taller Leica M6 TTL (basically the same camera with TTL flash metering added) from 1998-2002. Perhaps the best news for diehard Leica fans is that the reprised M6 sticks very closely to the original concept, looks almost identical except for some cool cosmetic enhancements, and is functionally the same save for some small but significant technical upgrades. Before we get into all these fascinating details, let’s look back at the original M6, a technological landmark even by current standards.

rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.4 KB ID:	4811396

Leica M6 2022 shown with 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH. It's only available in black and there's already a waiting list. Note classic "Leitz" red dot logo.

When Leica brought forth the Leica M6 at Photokina 1984 it created an instant sensation. While it wasn’t the first or even the second rangefinder Leica with a built-inthrough-the-lens (TTL) metering system (those honors go to the ill-fated Leica M5 of 1971-1975 and the cute, compact, Minolta-made Leica CL of 1973 respectively), the M6 was the first to employ Leica’s ingenious, all electronic “off the shutter” metering system that requires no moving parts and is considered cutting edge even today. Instead of using a retractable “semaphore” arm to position a CdS cell in the light path like the M5 and CL, the M6 employs a more sensitive and stable silicon photodiode (SPD cell) permanently mounted near the top, lefthand area of the inner body chamber. The cell is placed behind a tiny convex lens that focuses the light coming through the camera lens onto a light grayish 12mm spot in the center of the first shutter curtain. The metering area corresponds to roughly 13% of the full frame format, covering between 23% and 66% of the field depending upon the lens in use—from “fat spot” to center-weighted—and provides very accurate, predictable readings along with impressive low light sensitivity. At ISO 100, the M6’s meter ranges from EV0 to EV20 according to the official factory specs, and some reviewers claim it can get down to EV-1. Film speed settings range from ISO 6-6400, and manual metering readouts at the bottom of the finder consist of rightward- and leftward-pointing LEDs. As you turn the lens aperture ring and/or the shutter speed dial to take a reading off the subject, the correct exposure is indicated when both LEDs light up at the same intensity. This system allows precise metering to well within +/- ½-stop without requiring a delicate meter needle.

rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	4811397

Leica M6 2022 on a pedestal. Leica AG photo in natural light highlights the beauty of the new rugged lacquer and digital M type textured covering combo.

The M6 Classic’s other features closely parallel those of the very successful Leica M4-P of 1981—so much so that from a repairman’s perspective the M6 is essentially an M4-P with a built-in meter! For example, its top and bottom castings are made from a lighter, less expensive zinc alloy instead of being drawn from traditional solid brass.
And both models employ the simplified range/viewfinder mechanism with a missing rangefinder condenser and fewer adjustments needed that debuted on the Leica M4-2 of 1977. The M4-P, M6 Classic, and M6 2022 all have the same 6-frame-line viewfinder with frame lines displayed in pairs; 28 and 90mm, 35 and 135mm and 50 and 75mm in the 0.72x magnification versions, but over its extended production run, the M6 was also offered in 5-frame-line versions with magnifications of 0.85x and 0.58x optimized for tele- and wide-angle lenses respectively and in no less than 32 special editions including the snazzy primo collectible M6J.

rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	4811398
Original 1984 ad for what is called now called the Leica M6 Classic. Note Leitz red dot logo and 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M lens on this black beauty.

Enter the glorious Leica M6 2022

While the Leica M6 of 2022 is (mostly) a dead ringer for the M6 and is based on the same structure, it incorporates several small but significant upgrades, all aimed at enhancing its functionality appearance, collectors’ appeal, andintrinsic valueHere’s a quick rundown of the changes:
  1. The top and bottom covers, originally of cast zinc, are now made of machined brass (but not from drawn (molded) brass like the Leica M3,M2, and M4).
  2. The camera is presently available in black only and its external metal body parts bare “fortified” with a scratch-resistant black lacquer. Time will tell is there will be special editions of the M6 2022 with different finishes.
  3. The range/viewfinder has been modernized using the same 0.72x magnification and enhanced coated prisms and optical elements used in the current Leica MP and M-A (Type 127) cameras.
  4. The ISO dial has been “refreshed” with new electrical components.
  5. A central “red dot” LED has been added to the metering display in the finder that lights up to provide positive confirmation that the correct metered exposure has been achieved. There’s also a new battery warning indicator.
  6. The iconic red dot on the front of the camera now reads “Leitz” instead of “Leica,” just like the original M6 Classic.
  7. The leather textured covering on the M6 2022 is now the same as the one used in digital M Leicas, providing a more secure grip, and creating a striking visual effect in combination with the new scratch-resistant black lacquer finish.
rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	4811399
Cutaway diagram of original 1984 Leica M6 shows ingenious "off the shutter curtain" SPD-cell metering system also used in the 2022 version and current MP.

In keeping with the vintage motif, the packaging of the new Leica M6 2022 is based on the original packaging of 1984, but a larger box was required to hold “the increased volume of documents” now required. To accomplish what seems like a minor change Leica had to find a new supplier to fabricate the box to its precise specifications. Another thoughtful touch is the new carrying strap supplied with the camera—it's made entirely of premium quality leather and embossed with raised Leica lettering. Now that’s what we call punctilious attention to detail.

Speaking of details, while Leica USA’s official Press Release on the Leica M6 2022 (https://leicacamerausa.com/leica-m6.html) is commendably
comprehensive, we dug deeper by contacting our dear friends at Leitz Wetzlar headquarters. Here are their verbatim answers to most of the questions we posed:

Leather texture: We have chosen the more modern texture of the digital M camera because it is a subtle and a useful distinction from the original M6 from 1984.

New surface color: The new surface paint, in addition to having the advantage of very high scratch resistance, has the advantage of being very close in appearance to the old chrome-plated surfaces and therefore closer again to the historical cameras.

Electronics: The built-in electronics are almost identical to the electronics of the current analog Leica MP. This is significantly improved in its details compared to the old Leica M6 from 1984, such as the battery warning indicator, the middle LED indicator as an indication of the correct exposure, and the possibility to switch off the camera (by setting the shutter speed dial to "B").

The electronics for the ISO setting have been redesigned. The reason for this is the availability of the electronic components. Some of the components built into the original Leica M6 are unfortunately being phased out, so we have decided to keep these components for the "old" Leica M6 and at the same time have ensured with the new development that once again a particularly long service time is achieved for all models.

Speaking of service - we have also used this project to optimize the serviceability of the old Leica M6 cameras and hope to be able to repair these cameras for as long as possible, if at all necessary...

Rangefinder/viewfinder: Here, too, the improvements introduced with the current analog Leica MP have been adopted. Thus, the new Leica M6 also has the coated prisms/optical elements. Furthermore, the various measures for better visibility of the split images (rangefinder) have been adopted. The viewfinder magnification has not changed and is still 0.72x.

Perhaps one more small detail that could find mention in your article. The packaging of the new Leica M6 is based on the original packaging from 1984. To do this, we had to find a new supplier specifically to make us a box in the style of the old box. Due to the increased demands on the transportability of the battery and the increased volume of documents, we had to adjust the size of the overall packaging somewhat.

Another very nice detail from our point of view is the carrying strap, which is embossed for the first time with raised Leica lettering and is thus reminiscent of the historical model, even if it is now made entirely of high-quality genuine leather.

And last but not least: The Leica M6 has the good old Leitz logo again, just as it was in 1984. :)

Oh, one more detail - the "Made in Germany" embossing. We have also deliberately reproduced this again as it was in the past. Also, for this we had to make a new tool especially and start tests to make it in the same quality as its“colleagues”from 1984.

And for the very special enthusiasts and collectors among our readers: There are only 35 prototype cameras of the new Leica M6 still existing. Editor’s Note: It is uncertain if or when any of these prototypes will be offered for sale to collectors.

Oh, and one more detail comes to mind: The design of the top cap radii was also adapted to the radii of the 1984 model, although today's top caps are milled and no longer deep drawn, which made for those typical "round" corners.

rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	4811405
Original Leica M6 with 35mm f/2 Summicron and Abrahamsson winder, which also works on the M6 2022. Note "Leica" red dot found on some vintage M6s.

Q and A

Q. Would it be fair to say that the M6 2022 amounts to an MP with different top, back, and bottom plates? A. It is correct that the heart of the new M6 is based on the actual Leica MP except the mentioned parts above and the shutter speed dial which has the style of the M6 1984 (but it turns in the opposite direction)

Q. Are M6 2022 top and bottom plates both made of brass? A. Yes – both plates are made of solid brass. The former die-cast process to manufacture the top cap would be too expensive because the necessary tools do not exist anymore.

Q. As the M6 2022 shows wear, will brass show underneath the paint finish or will some undercoat show before the brass? A. It will show first an undercoat before the brass appears. We use the same coating/ painting process as we do it for the other (brass) cameras, too.

Q. Does the M6 2022 accept the MP Motor and MP winder? Will it accept the Tom Abrahamsson Rapid Winder that was sold in the USA? A. The MP Motor and the MP winder can be used on the new M6. Therefore, we assume that the one Tom created can be used, too.

Q. Can meter parts of the M6 2022 be used to repair the M6 Classic of 1984 as well as the M6 TTL? I am told M6 TTL meter parts are very different and mostly incompatible with the M6 classic. A. That´s correct, the one for the M6 TTL are different.

Q. How does the M6 2022 meter differ from the MP or M6 classic or M6 TTL meters? Sensitivity? Metering pattern? Operation? A. There is no difference between M6 20022 and MP but I am not sure about M6 Classic and M6 TTL. Sorry, we’re still waiting for the answer, too.

Q. Can any meter parts of the M6 2022 be used to repair the M6 classic? M6 TTL? M7? A. Yes, there are several parts which can be used to repair the M6 classic and partly the M6 TTL. M7 not, but I am not sure, and we raised that question to our colleagues, too.

Q. Can MP finders be interchanged with the M6 2022 to provide different finder magnifications? A. It is not foreseen to interchange them at this time.

Q. Can M6 classic top plates and bottom plates interchange with the M6 2022? A. Probably not, due to the changed time wheel mechanism, the geometry of the cover cap zinc diecast vs. brass.

rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	rs=w:1440,h:1440.jpg Views:	4 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	4811409
Top view of original Leica M6 in black with 50mm f;1.4 Leitz Wetzlar Summilux. Note Ernst Leitz Wetzlar GMBH engraving on top.

For now, that’s all folks, but three things are now crystal clear: The Leica M6 2022 is a lot more than a mere historical replica, Leica’s traditional attention to detail is extraordinary, and it couldn’t happen to a nicer camera. The Leica M6 2020 is officially priced at $5,295.00, body only, and surprise, surprise there’s already a long waiting list. Kudos to Leica for bringing it out and a heartfelt tip of the lens cap to the folks at Leitz Wetzlar for being so warm and forthcoming in providing so many valuable insights that are only available “from the horse’s mouth.”

Thank you for the incredible insights and details on the new M6 Jason. Fun read and excited for anyone pondering a new purchase. It is an attractive camera.

I still have a soft spot for my slightly bubbled ‘85 Classic. My first M rangefinder.

Sorry, I was referring to the top plate zinc corrosion and bubbling. There’s a little bit on the back door also. It hasn’t spread in over 35 years but does add a little “character” to the camera.

Just think what would happen if a few other makers decided to return to film for a camera or two...

How about a new Olympus OM-5 or a Pentax mini and so on?

It wouldn't be the first time Leica started a trend that just got bigger and bigger.

Regards, David

Just think what would happen if a few other makers decided to return to film for a camera or two...

How about a new Olympus OM-5 or a Pentax mini and so on?

It wouldn't be the first time Leica started a trend that just got bigger and bigger.

Regards, David

It's a lovely idea, but there are very few "refreshed" or upgraded versions of classic analog cameras that would sell in sufficient numbers to justify the cost. Leica is unique in that respect and even the Leica M6 2022 is a limited production camera that's bench assembled in small quantities. Nikon did offer a very limited production reprise of the Nikon S3 back in 2000, but that was at the cusp of the digital revolution and this is not a formula that can be widely replicated. As a film dinosaur myself (I shoot film and digital in a 50/50 ratio) I wish it were otherwise, but at this point, film photography is at best a vibrant niche, and its potential for expansion is limited. Finally, there is no real need for, say, an "Olympus OM-5" or a "Pentax K1001" when there are so many used OM-4s and K1000s readily available on the used market.

It's a lovely idea, but there are very few "refreshed" or upgraded versions of classic analog cameras that would sell in sufficient numbers to justify the cost. Leica is unique in that respect and even the Leica M6 2022 is a limited production camera that's bench assembled in small quantities. Nikon did offer a very limited production reprise of the Nikon S3 back in 2000, but that was at the cusp of the digital revolution and this is not a formula that can be widely replicated. As a film dinosaur myself (I shoot film and digital in a 50/50 ratio) I wish it were otherwise, but at this point, film photography is at best a vibrant niche, and its potential for expansion is limited. Finally, there is no real need for, say, an "Olympus OM-5" or a "Pentax K1001" when there are so many used OM-4s and K1000s readily available on the used market.

Well, there are thousands if not millions of used Leicas about but ...

And who knows what the reaction to other cameras - cult or otherwise - will be? Things that ought to sell have bombed and vice versa.

Look at all those small firms offering completely remade classic cars that are a lot older than (say) the OM.

Regards, David

Instead of a special edition of the MP, I wish Leica had tried to move the ball forward from the M7 and make the ultimate film rangefinder camera. Give us an M7 with a version of the M11's shutter, with autoexposure, higher top shutter speeds, and higher flash sync speeds.

Reactions: dct
Early model M6 had would function with an IXMOO but later models lacked the fitting in the baseplate that would open the IXMOO. Don't know about the new M6. Joe

Thanks for the excellent article, Jason!

It is excellent that Leica is returning the M6 to production, and have incorporated the one change in the M6TTL that I really appreciated (the three diode metering display vs two diode). The only problem with the return of the M6 is that it means I have to make another decision ... do I hunt up a nice second-hand M10-R digital body, or go with a new M6?

Ah, First World problems... LOL!

G

Interesting article, Jason, thank you.

On the original M6, I thought B could always be used to ensure the meter couldn’t be accidentally switched on (whereas the M6 TTL has an explicit OFF setting). I always set the dial to B when not using my M6.

What does the battery warning indicator look like?

... On the original M6, I thought B could always be used to ensure the meter couldn't be accidentally switched on (whereas the M6 TTL has an explicit OFF setting). I always set the dial to B when not using my M6. ...
Yes, the "B" setting deactivates the meter. This is also the case on the MP.

Interesting article, Jason, thank you.

On the original M6, I thought B could always be used to ensure the meter couldn’t be accidentally switched on (whereas the M6 TTL has an explicit OFF setting). I always set the dial to B when not using my M6.

What does the battery warning indicator look like?

The battery warning indicator is a red battery shaped LED displayed to the right of the 3 metering LEDs in the finder. When you press and hold the shutter release if only the 3 metering LEDs appear, the charge level of the battery or batteries is OK. If the battery shaped LED appears along with the 3 metering LEDs, the batteries will have to be replaced soon, but the metering system will continue to work correctly, If only the battery-shaped LED lights up the batteries need to be replaced immediately. The metering system in the Leica M6 2022 is powered by two 1.5v PX-76 or SR-44 batteries or one DL/1/3N lithium call. The manual for the M6 2022 is available online as a downloadable PDF.

Apart from IXMOO cassette compatibility (yes or no) I'd be interested in the location of the tripod socket- in centre of bottom plate or off to the side

It's off to the side (right side) as you are standing behind the camera. It is shown in the Quick Start Guide and Instruction Manual.

If the external dimensions are the same as my M4-2, i have an Arca-Swiss compatible plate that can be fitted semi-permanently with indices for the lens optical centerline. And can be left on there if you don't use a case.

i think it's from acratech. .

G

Apart from IXMOO cassette compatibility (yes or no) I'd be interested in the location of the tripod socket- in centre of bottom plate or off to the side

All 35mm (analog) Leica M cameras including the M6 2022 have their tripod sockets located on the right-hand end of the baseplate with the camera held in shooting position. As for compatibility with Leica IXMOO cartridges, early original Leica M6 cameras have the baseplate lock asembly that opens and closes IXMOO cartridges, but later models deleted this feature. I assume that the M6 2022 has a brass version of the later non-IXMOO-compatible baseplate, but I am still awaiting the answers to whether this is the case, and also whether the factory will still modify baseplates to work with IXMOO cartridges as they did back in the day. Anyone with an early M6 or an older M baseplate that works with IXMOO cartridges can retrofit it permanently or temporarily to the M6 2022 so long sit fits and locks on properly.

Maybe someday an M6...but for now happy with the Minolta CLE....that has metering for light - through the lens, as well as for the flash through the lens,...that works nicely and has a fabulous finder. The only, only improvement could be a larger rangefinder image....somehow!
But many thanks for the excellent piece on the M6 update...

Back