The Classic Leica M6 Returns! And the 2022 Edition is Better than Ever

Apart from IXMOO cassette compatibility (yes or no) I'd be interested in the location of the tripod socket- in centre of bottom plate or off to the side

All Leica M-series 35mm film cameras have the tripod socket located off center, near the right-hand end of the baseplate with the camera held in shooting position. According to the latest info I've received from Leica Germany the Leica M6 2022 is largely based on the modern Leica MP so the baseplate does not include the mechanism for opening IXMOO cartridges. It should be possible to retrofit an early production M6 baseplate on the current M6 2020 and use the camera with IXMOO cartridges, and earlier M-series baseplates may work also so long as they fit the camera and look on without a hitch.

So long my M7 and the Nikon FM2T work I do not plan to buy another film camera.

But it is interesting and good that Leica has decided to make this new version of the M6. Thanks Leica! And thanks Jason for this interesting article.

One item of note I haven't seen anyone mention: The 2022 Edition M6 does not come with Leica's no fault USA Passport warranty. Instead the M6 comes with Leica's standard 2-year parts and labor warranty - the same warranty offered on Leica digital cameras. The MP still comes with a 3-year USA Passport warranty (which used to be 5-years by the way).

Back