The dial X&X are missing on the street.

Ko.Fe.

Lenses 35/21 Gears 46/20
Local time
6:34 AM
X&X are Leica X and FujiFilm X100 series cameras with build on, not removable lens. Nice and compact cameras with large enough for quality sensors. Neat, sexy and light to walk with for hours.

Both types of cameras are about dials. Cute and kind of practical, then you could see them... Even not something urgent to change on the street ISO has dial, which is more like reminder, I guess.

After I got on the streets not just walk as tourist after work, but also to take pictures with digital cameras (around 2007) I realized how at certain ISO and shutter speed, aperture will be small enough to provide reasonable DOF. So, not only ISO, but shutter and aperture dial are just a reminders on the street.

The only parameter I'm constantly changing on street digital camera is focus distance. Because I like to walk a lot and take photos at all distances. Not just hyper-focal. I have tiny, cheap m43 and 15f pancake for it. While X&X have nothing practical to offer for quick manual focus.

X 113 is closest to it, but with only 1 and 2 meters on focus scale usable for street photography. While skilled street photog is able to use 35mm lens with 1, 2, 3 and 5 meters scale and f5.6 and wider.

X with ISO, Shutter, Aperture and Distance would be something I'm willing to pay for. If it would be Leica, here will be not so much practical need in digital M and 35 mm lens for the street.

Does Leica CL has distance shown on top LCD and wheel to dial? This is just a FW implemented feature for CL.

Ricoh came close with C1, C2 and C3, but I have another thread in mind for GR :) .

The only parameter I'm constantly changing on street digital camera is focus distance. Because I like to walk a lot and take photos at all distances...

Leica, Fuji, and everyone else who makes wide angle lenses which could be used for street photography have ignored possible improvements to focusing.

You know how the aperture ring has click-stops to help you select the aperture, even when not looking at the lens? Similarly, a wide angle lens could have soft detents that you could feel while focusing. Perhaps at 1m, 2m, 4m, and 8m. No need to look at the focusing scale all the time: select approximate distance by feel and then maybe quickly set exact distance at the last moment.

But the first step for a good quick focusing lens is a tab for your finger, as shown here:

https://lens-db.com/leitz-wetzlar-summicron-35mm-f2-1958/

Leica, Fuji, and everyone else who makes wide angle lenses which could be used for street photography have ignored possible improvements to focusing.

You know how the aperture ring has click-stops to help you select the aperture, even when not looking at the lens? Similarly, a wide angle lens could have soft detents that you could feel while focusing. Perhaps at 1m, 2m, 4m, and 8m. No need to look at the focusing scale all the time: select approximate distance by feel and then maybe quickly set exact distance at the last moment.

But the first step for a good quick focusing lens is a tab for your finger, as shown here:

https://lens-db.com/leitz-wetzlar-summicron-35mm-f2-1958/

Thanks for reply...
You just invented bicycle which I'm riding for years. :cool:

I could select any shutter speed on my M4-2. Aperture speed on my Summarit-M 35 2.5 and close enough to be in focus @f5.6 distance.
All without looking. By tab and position from the hard stop.
How else I was able to use it while skating in the dark at Rideau Canal years ago, before film broke at advance in -28C...

My J-3 and J-12 are tabed.

But this thread is not about tabs and some wide angle lens.
I have Color Skopar 21 f4. Tab and clicks.
Here is not so much need for clicks on wide lens for focusing. But Snapshot Skopar 25 f4 and Minitar 32 f2.8 have it.

OP is about missing dial. Sure with clicks and one anchor bump on body and bumps on wheel for distances. Not just numbers.

X with ISO, Shutter, Aperture and Distance would be something I'm willing to pay for.

Now I understand. I don’t think Leica, Fuji, or any other design teams have thought much about that - as you say, Ricoh came close. Firmware could let you specify custom distances and then you could select them on a dial - but how to get Leica, etc., to know this is what some would really want?

I use the Voigtlander 25mm Snapshot Skopar on my X-Pro1 for that exact reason.
With stops at .7 1 1.5 3 and inf I don't need to look at either the scale or the picture with the EVF.
I wish more lenses had that.

Fuji AF10 and Ricoh GR have the “snap focus” feature built in.

One distance only function. Might work with f8 and ISO3200.
But X&X ain't 28mm equivalent of DOF, they are 35mm.

FW only alternative to dedicated focus distance wheel would be clicks assignment on Fn button.
Menu-MF-Fn assigments-one click, two clicks, three clicks. Where each number of clicks has selection of distance.
Something FujiFilm is capable to do withing firmware upgrade.

There is no focus distance readout on the CL display to the best of my knowledge. I don't have any SL or TL series lenses to experiment with, but that was a feature on the SL and isn't listed as a feature for the CL with any of the firmware revisions.

However, just put an M-mount lens on the CL with a mount adapter that has a precise mount registration (like the Leica M Adapter L). Then you have the focusing distance scale as well as aperture numbers available at a glance for adjustment, as well as the the DoF scale markings.

The DoF markings you adapt to the smaller format by considering them to indicate about one stop less than the actual DoF at those aperture settings.

G

I'd rather have 21 FOV Color Skopar on oldie M-E than narrowing all way to 31mm on CL.
Not to mention 35mm most versatile lens becoming cropped to tele 52mm FOV. Which totally sucks for the street. IMO.

Back