The Helios 44 family of lenses and their swirl

I have a super early f22 Helios! While I don't clam to be an expert I'm 95% sure by the coatings its Zeiss glass...

IMG_4939.jpeg

He should try a Summarit, King of the Swirlies.

I have a chrome 5.8cm F2 Biotar- in Exakta mount.

And remember- Sonnars Don't Swirl. Field Curvature cancels Astigmatism...

I have a chrome 5.8cm f2 in M42 mount, dates to Oct 1949. I really need to take this lens apart and clean it, just a bit of haze on the rear lens group. I have a M42 to E-mount adapter somewhere.

xayraa33, thanks for the link to Simon's youtube channel, looks interesting! I agree with Brian that nothing beats a Summarit or Summitar for swirlies. I used to have one of each, the only lenses I ever sold because I hated they way that they rendered images. The Biotar is kinda swirly wide open, but has nothing on the Helios in this regard

I do have one Sonnar formula lens that Swirls. A Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5 that was bought without a rear element. I guessed the focal length of the missing element against my complete one, measured the diameter and ordered an optic from Surplus Shack. Did a two point calibration for close-up and distance.

L1005873.jpg

Checked against my "Regular" Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, this one is unique. It seems to cast shadows on the Bokeh Balls.
Just wait until someone wants to do a dreamy movie sequence... Who needs optical corrections.

I need to take out my Helios that I have used only with one roll of film so far. I wonder which model it is.

Back