The Konica C35

David Hughes

David Hughes
Local time
1:00 AM
These are very neat little RF's but take a mercury battery. They are "P" mode only but the aperture and speed chosen are shown in the view finder.

Konica%20C35%201-L.jpg

The focussing is by the little tab shown and it always reminds me of a Leica, which could be why I like it so much.

Konica%20C35%202-L.jpg

And here's a sample.

C35%20Sample-L.jpg

Regards, David

PS Used "edit" to change the sample as I like it more. I used to walk with the dog past this house, by a footpath, and there were always a cluster of old cars being sorted out. Not in the picture was a white and rust Rolls Royce and a few others...

Very nice! I always enjoy well-made little rangefinders. I happen to be a big fan of the Sears 35|rf, which is a rebranded Ricoh 500G as I recall. Fun little go-anywhere cameras with nice lenses.

David.,

I have one of these sitting (sadly) along with a couple Auto S3 cameras. I've used the S3 more recently and need to service the shutter on my C35.

There is a wonderful simplicity about the C35 that is particularly attractive. In part the geometry of the lens on the body; it doesn't protrude like the faster S3 model. And I agree the tab is nice and reminds me of the Leica. The images they make (both models) always amaze me. And yours here is very nice!

David

David, I still use mine about twice a year. I has been a great travel camera: focus and shoot. I find that my third one (I really never paid much attention to sharpness until recently) has the sharpest lens of all my 35mm lenses and fixed lens cameras. I don't know if it is the lens or the more precise film flatness and exacting positioning. The only other camera I have that is it's league is my IIIf with the 50mm Elmar.

I liked this shot which I would have missed it I had to fiddle with settings:

Tmax 100 HC-110h by John Carter, on Flickr

I still have mine as well, purchased new in 1969 as my first 35mm camera. That the camera survived, as long as it has, is due to my sister, who dropped it lens-first in 1970 or so. The camera sat in a box for the next 45+ years. Just back from repair (finally) and waiting for the first roll of film to come back from the lab.

In addition to the metering, the system for flash photography was reasonably advanced: set the guide number for the flash and the camera picks the correct aperture for the focus point.

Here's a shot made with the camera, a scan of an 8x10 from Fujichrome (I managed to misplace the transparency at some point over the years, even though I have others from the same roll).

Attachments

• C35.jpg
    C35.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1
  • 1971_022_003.jpg
    1971_022_003.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Love the little C35, but I ultimately stuck with the Minolta Hi-Matic FP in black. Basically the same, without a self timer lever.

If you google Hi-Matic FP, you will run into a photo of my FP with a homemade grip attached. My old Flickr that ive been locked out of. Same username.

My first one was sexy black and gave me some nice images.
I sent it to Greyhoundman for CLA right before he disappeared and I never got it back. :mad:

I recently bought a very nice C35V, the zone-focus model.
Clever VF allows you to see focus symbols on lens barrel.

Chris

They're beautiful cameras in silver or in black. Perfect proportions, very, very good lens, and make the perfect travel camera. I have lots and lots of good shots from the ones I've owned over the years. Build qualiity is not the best though. Konica sold the design to a lot of other camera makers: GAF Memo, Cosina Compact 35E, and on and on. My preference is for the original C35 in silver and black. They also made a zone focus model called the 35V. I have a 12x18 print from one on the wall that is tack sharp. It could have been made a lot bigger. Whenever I took mine for a stroll I always got compliments on it.

Here's the print

QfhEMi5.jpg

Had a C35v for a few years. sadly the focus ring became unglued and I never bothered to fix it. Quite liked the lens with colour film especially.

Was supposed to be my first rangefinder. Didn't know the "v" meant scale focus!

Thanks everyone for the response; I didn't realise it had so many fans but it is understandable. I hate using the word but it really is a "cute" little rangefinder.

One from what looks like the same assembly line* is the Mamiya 135 EE. The 135 EE is unique in having a dedicated flashgun that is one of the first to use an extra contact in the hot-shoe to light up a flash ready icon in the viewfinder. I just wish I could find one of those flashes.

Regards, David

* The C35 is 1967 onwards and the 135 EE is 1977 onwards...

Cute is about right. Maybe even adorable.
Mine, sadly, has an ailing shutter which makes it decidedly less cute but I’ll get around to repairing it one of these days.

If you have some AG-1 bulbs, I'll send you the one on the C35.

flash unit by John Carter, on Flickr

Many thanks for the offer but I've dozens of flashes and bulbs going back to the 30's. The one I'm after is the Mamiya Elevan 1600B which has the dedicated extra pin in the shoe. I'll go on searching but I get fed up of all the VW 1600's the search finds for me...

Thanks again, David

David, I have collected a lot of old flashes too, but generally only going back the 1960's. I'm surprised how easy it is to get most of the bulb flashes going again... generally only a new battery and a bulb, but occasionally also some new capacitors. I haven't had as good of luck with reviving strobe flashes, but I have found several that work perfectly with new AA batteries. Perhaps we should start a thread on old flashes?

Scott

David, I have collected a lot of old flashes too, but generally only going back the 1960's. I'm surprised how easy it is to get most of the bulb flashes going again... generally only a new battery and a bulb, but occasionally also some new capacitors. I haven't had as good of luck with reviving strobe flashes, but I have found several that work perfectly with new AA batteries. Perhaps we should start a thread on old flashes?

Scott

I'm sorry to say it but I dislike flash; imo it's useful but not desirable. The heap of old bulbs and flash guns I have generally came with other stuff and it is filling an old shoe or boot box somewhere. I even have a Leica SF 58 that I've never used.

OTOH, I can see a lot of good from a new thread. So I hope this doesn't discourage you.

Regards, David

Allow me a silly question...

Allow me a silly question...

Allow me a futile and perhaps naif question: I never understood quite well the utility of the ring between the camera body and the distance ring. It is supposed to have a mark for using in AUTO mode – and my camera does not have such a mark.

003-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

001-vi.jpg

I never use the camera in B mode, neither I use flash. I am quite happy with the photos I get without paying importance to the position of that first ring. I notice that the ring , in some positions, blocks the distance ring at its extreme positions, but that is all …
Is there a mark missing ?? What really is the utility of that ring ???
Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions
Joao

Back