The Last New DSLR? Would you believe the Pentax KF?

I was quite happy with my D700 until it lunched its shutter. They were the ultimate prosumer dslr when they came out in my opinion.

It is my most used camera today. The models that followed it don't have the look of that camera (or the D3). I have four. They're cheap. I may buy more. In the optimistic belief that I outlive them all.

I think you have not experience a good EVF because it certainly is fast enough for street photography.

Based on what I have seen of yours, any EVF is good. For you. :)

My observations and opinion: a good street photographer doesn’t really use the viewfinder. Both eyes are open to allow continuous viewing of the scene. The reason for raising the camera to the eye (and sometimes you don’t do even that) is so the camera will have the same perspective and view of the scene that you are seeing with your eye.

OVF, EVF doesn‘t matter. There’s a reason Speed Graphics also have an extendable wire frame.

This is only my opinion, since I am not a street photographer. But I have photographed many streets.

The DSLR market is way down from a few years ago, and not long ago Pentax held a small ~5% of that market. Maybe they figure with Nikon and Canon putting more resources into MILC line-ups, those that want to stick with a DSLR will look at them. The main problem with switching mounts is the investment in lenses. I'm happy with my Nikon Df for a DSLR, and very happy with the Z5. Also happy with the Leica M9. In a few years, I suspect a MILC will satisfy both requirements as it can use all of my lenses.

If Pentax picks up market share- they could afford the NRE for coming out with a new digital camera. But at the present sales levels, hard to see how they could cover the NRE of developing a major new DSLR.
there is a "run" on pre owned Z5's. I'd like one also, but I also like good deals more. I would also like a F6...is that a DSLR? :)

My observations and opinion: a good street photographer doesn’t really use the viewfinder. Both eyes are open to allow continuous viewing of the scene. The reason for raising the camera to the eye (and sometimes you don’t do even that) is so the camera will have the same perspective and view of the scene that you are seeing with your eye.

OVF, EVF doesn‘t matter. There’s a reason Speed Graphics also have an extendable wire frame.

This is only my opinion, since I am not a street photographer. But I have photographed many streets.

Your opinion is right on the money as far as I'm concerned.

All the best,
Mike

The DP1 is waiting for you.
I looked around the other day to see if there was any on eBay etc and was stunned to discover that people are asking twice what they were worth new here in Oz when I considered getting one. They have obviously become a bit of a cult camera! :oops:

I looked around the other day to see if there was any on eBay etc and was stunned to discover that people are asking twice what they were worth new here in Oz when I considered getting one. They have obviously become a bit of a cult camera! :oops:

You have a Sigma SD1 Merrill... everything else is puppy poop compare to that! When you've got the best, you can forget all the rest.

All the best,
Mike

I think you have not experience a good EVF because it certainly is fast enough for street photography.

Depends on what kind of street photography you are doing.

EVF is fine for slow moving subjects and or still life.

But if you are shooting fast like Winogrand where you are yanking the camera up in a second or two and grabbing a shot you're going to be out of luck. There are some YouTube videos of him shooting that will give you an idea of how fast some of us shoot. Current EVF is not going to cut it.

But if you are shooting fast like Winogrand where you are yanking the camera up in a second or two and grabbing a shot you're going to be out of luck. There are some YouTube videos of him shooting that will give you an idea of how fast some of us shoot. Current EVF is not going to cut it.
If he’s shooting that quickly, then just just how much time is he spending looking through the viewfinder of his M4?

A lot of his shots are skewed, showing how he just raised the camera for an instant and tripped the shutter. Lens prefocused. A fair number of photos aren’t even at eye level. It’s not like he’s spending any time at all composing, but rather just making sure the subject is in the frame.

For sports photography, like basketball, I’d want a great EVF if I had to use one.

An EVF does not have to be a barrier to fast shooting. Even the Nikon 1V1 already featured capturing shots before plus after the shutter button was pressed and allowed the selection of the best shot. And that's 2014 tech; ancient by today's standard.

That said, an optical viewfinder (like on the M4) is still a joy and comfort to use.

If you are shooting fast and loose like Winogrand in today's day and age you would be using the rear LCD. No one can convince me Winogrand wouldn't have discreetly framed that way. He was looking for a way not to be noticed with the camera up to his eye.

If you are shooting fast and loose like Winogrand in today's day and age you would be using the rear LCD. No one can convince me Winogrand wouldn't have discreetly framed that way. He was looking for a way not to be noticed with the camera up to his eye.
If I tore my library apart, I could find the article where I read this. But I do remember that Winogrand was once asked in a workshop if he often shot without using the viewfinder; he replied emphatically that he always used the viewfinder.

It is mentioned here

I have to disagree. I am completely aware of how he photographs and it is perfectly doable with any VF. I am not sure why you think an EVF cannot react fast. The technology would never have become the latest VF if it could not react. As with any street photography, you learn to anticipate from doing it so much. Winogrand was certainly anticipating and since he used the same focal length most of the time, he knew what would be in his frame. Sometimes a slow moving subject is only in the right place for a split second too... and you need to react just as fast.

If I tore my library apart, I could find the article where I read this. But I do remember that Winogrand was once asked in a workshop if he often shot without using the viewfinder; he replied emphatically that he always used the viewfinder.
Oh I don't doubt he wanted to frame his shots well, not sloppily -- there's a difference between always using a viewfinder over a back screen, and always using a viewfinder because it's the only framing tool you've got. I don't by any means think Winogrand's composition and framing was loose. His 28mm shots are super effective at both what they include and what they leave out of the frame. But he also wanted to avoid people changing their behavior because of noticing him using the camera.

It is mentioned here

I carefully watched Garry as he was making photos. A few times he held the camera up to his eye for a few seconds, looking through the external viewfinder. But the overwhelming majority of the time he would bring the camera to his eye for about 1/10th of a second and trip the shutter. So in that brief moment he is only framing the shot.

I notice his style before the shot is to be moving the camera around a lot, playing with it, move the camera up and down, forward and back, flip it around, wind the shutter, make motions like he’s fumbling around with the camera , and then quickly make the shot. I think this is sort of an “active camouflage“ which eases the apprehensions of those around him: “oh, a harmless tourist”.

Would Garry Winogrand have liked a Pentax KF? Probably. He might have liked a digital Leica more. Either way, his bag would be filled with memory cards and batteries.

Last edited:

Harry- after shooting RF's since I was 11 and SLR's since I was 12, picked up a Nikon Z5 a little over a month ago. I can get a shot in focus of a moving skater with the 90/1.5 wide-open under just the disco lights. Better hit rate than the M9 and much better than the Df. I also use the Canon 50/0.95 on it. The frame-rate update keeps up with the action and my continuous focus, and the latency is less than the Df. Compared to the Olympus EP2 with EVF, a world apart. The Ep2- slow update and 0.2sec or more of latency. The new mirrorless generation- has caught up.

I shot some 300 pictures on this outing, most were in good focus. Much higher hit rate than my Df or M9/M Monochrom.

Back