The Most Beautiful Cameras Ever Made: Part 1, Interchangeable Lens Rangefinder 35s

All the fans of Barnack Leicas will be marching on Mr. Schneider,s house with torches and pitchforks.

I was going to mention the Barnacks.

I’ll wait for Part 2 with bated breath.., I promise, I won’t be part of the mob. :)

The S2, absolutely my favorite Nikon.

gelatin silver print (nikkor 50mm f1.4 - 414866) nikon s2

Erik.

51913728037_0658636da9_b.jpg

Nice Erik. Took me a couple of looks but later noticed you in the Bokeh.

Thanks raydm6, the shot above is with a chrome dial chrome s2, later I got a chrome dial black s2. I'm so happy with that one ... no, I'm happy with both.

Erik.

gelatin silver print (all black nikkor 50mm f1.4 - 331109) nikon s2 black 3170923

48413194917_42a7c97f04_b.jpg

A nice reflective article reminiscent of reading The Camera Collector in Modern Photography and why I have always enjoyed Jason’s writing.

In particular, Jason, I like that you mentioned the various reasons why people consider some cameras beautiful. To all of this I’ll add that I have bought cameras and found them beautiful solely on the basis of how they feel when focusing, winding, and even on how the shutter sounds.

It’s interesting and sometimes amusing how these little devices become part of our life. Perhaps they tell us something about ourselves.

Well, everybody is going to be huffy because s/he has a favorite that got left out, so let's go at this from the other end: What's the UGLIEST interchangeable-lens coupled-rangefinder camera for 35mm film?

No, you can't say "Perfex Speed Candid," which otherwise would be the runaway winner (or loser) because I astutely said coupled rangefinder, right? So now what?

I'll offer up the Kodak Signet 80, but I'm sure there are even more ill-favored contenders out there. And yes, I picked the Signet over the Argus C-3 Matchmatic because Kodak certainly had the resources to make a better-looking camera, but possibly Argus didn't.

Who else is ready to get ugly?

I like these selections to the extent I have direct experience with them. I would have also included the Leica IIIg in the list myself. The IIIg IMO exhibits simply exquisite workmanship, even by the usual standards of Leica. Not that this attention to workmanship would have been necessary by Leica with a screw mount body, probably only meant to maintain a presence in that segment of the market at the time. But it's just the way Leica does things like this - and does them so well it endears them to many of us!

Huffy, who, moi?? Absolument, jamais!!

But you did forget the Contax G1, one of the most elegant modern cameras ever. Forget the at times dismal performance - the (unfortunately not Schneider) lenses may be let's-pretend Zeiss, but they still produce superb rendition, spot-on colors, exquisite definition, gorgeous mid-tones. What more could a 21st century analogue freak want??

The list of everyone's favourites will surely be endless, so I did want to get in first and put in a good word for the Contax Gs.

When the last of my G1s has bitten the dust (or I do, whichever happens first), I believe the likes of these one-of-a-kind film machines will never again be matched. Leicas are okay, but the Bauhaus-style body titanium G1, wow!!

I can't quite believe we've got to three pages and no-one has mentioned the interchangeable lens models of the Werra. So here's some Werras - the 3 is the interchangeable one, and is also Roger Hicks' old camera. Look up his shutterbug review and compare the dent in the top plate with mine.

Werra family by gray1720, on Flickr

This is it. This is the one. It was posted here last year. I would buy it in an instant. I am not joking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C2F8F06B-4212-4008-976A-EA14BDCDE7B1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.6 KB ID:	4780812

(regarding the M5)

Agreed! Ungainly looking and badly proportioned. But, on the other hand, you do want one! Pretty is as pretty does, I say. And I think you agree!
Actually, it looks good to me and fits my hands well. I missed several opportunities to buy one when they were not as desirable as today.

This is it. This is the one. It was posted here last year. I would buy it in an instant. I am not joking.

filedata/fetch?id=4780812&d=1650236322

(regarding the M5)

Actually, it looks good to me and fits my hands well. I missed several opportunities to buy one when they were not as desirable as today.

Ah, now I understand! For someone who identifies as a cat, what better camera than the "Hello Kitty" M6?
I'm also a huge Hello Kitty fan, out and proud! There's a Hello Kitty banner over my desk, as I type this. In the center of her bow is a Leica coaster from Tamarkin that they included when I bought my M6 TTL (sadly, just boring black chrome).

Back