The Ultimate FLARE Thread: Pics Please

RayPA

Ignore It (It'll go away)
Local time
8:51 AM
In the spirit of the "ultimate bokeh" thread, let us see some flare. Some lenses are more prone to flare than others. In some shots it's used intentionally and creatively. In other shots it's just an annoyance and ruins the whole image. Creative or annoying. Glaring or subtle. Got flare? Post it.

Please provide lens and camera specifications.

Good Idea, Ray ! Did you have a hood on that Ultron ?

Not as nicely positioned as yours, but these are (annoying)
ghosts and flare drawn by a Canon 50/1.2 (on M3):

95836019-L.jpg

131857385-L.jpg

Best,

Roland.

My guess for the first one is the sun, the second one table light at right ?

My flare, Zenzanon 40/4 @ f8 on Bronica ETR. I like the flare, i put it there delbrately :D Shame about the 5 blades aperture

img127hy2.jpg

Last edited:
This is to my eye nice flare, the type often called "glow". Pentax SMC-M 35mm F/2, wide open, yellow green filter, HP5.
Now if I could better predict it!

Attachments

• DogWoodsS.jpg
    DogWoodsS.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 2
hans voralberg said:
My guess for the first one is the sun, the second one table light at right ?

yeah, but neither looks like the "typical" flare situation (e.g., shooting directly toward the source.

I like the flare in your shot, btw. Lens some eeriness/mystery.

Bryce said:
This is to my eye nice flare, the type often called "glow". Pentax SMC-M 35mm F/2, wide open, yellow green filter, HP5.

nice smooth low contrast look.

Bryce said:

I agree, very nice use of flare. And you're right, this is when I miss the old SLR. Btw, I like your avatar. Curious how you came across this image.

Crawdiddy-
Which image are you curious about? The one I posted or my avatar?
The doggy shot is from a hiking trip with my brother and his dog, backlit through the trees. The lens was shaded from the sun by one of the trees.
The avatar is of my hiking boots and rad counter, tools for my other (closely related) hobby, finding and photographing abandoned mines and industrial facilities. Natural light, FP4, Pentax M 100 F/4 macro at maybe F/11.
See my Gallery for examples.
Did I answer your question?

Bryce said:
Crawdiddy-
Which image are you curious about? The one I posted or my avatar?
The doggy shot is from a hiking trip with my brother and his dog, backlit through the trees. The lens was shaded from the sun by one of the trees.
The avatar is of my hiking boots and rad counter, tools for my other (closely related) hobby, finding and photographing abandoned mines and industrial facilities. Natural light, FP4, Pentax M 100 F/4 macro at maybe F/11.
See my Gallery for examples.
Did I answer your question?

I like the dog photo. Looks like it's ready to sniff out some varmints. The flare in the photo is subtle, and glow-like as you said. It was the geiger counter shot in your avatar that intrigued me. Anyhoo, I like the photo.

RayPA said:
that's unfortunate!

This lens can flare wildly if there's a real bright highlight in the picture. I've seen some 50/0.95 pics (not mine) with thin, concentric circles ringing the edge of the frame. I kind of like it, in that you never know what you're going to get. Makes taking pictures a real surprise.

Jim B.

Deliberately took my Yashica Electro's lens out of it's comfort zone to see what it would do ... with an interesting result. How did this camera deserve such an iconic lens? :p

yasicafuji_25-1.jpg

Big Hairy Bee said:
Leica IIIF w/Summitar 50 perhaps f4 or 5.6 on Kodak BN400

Interesting case of flare, BHB. I see a little bit behind the subject's right hand, but I suppose the area of light which appears to emanate upwards from the pail is also flare? If so, it seems an unlikely direction for it to take, mainly because it doesn't seem oriented through the central area of the lens, as flare usually does.

Am I missing something here? What made it do that?

*edit* Btw, beautiful photo.

Last edited:
crawdiddy said:
Interesting case of flare, BHB. I see a little bit behind the subject's right hand, but I suppose the area of light which appears to emanate upwards from the pail is also flare? If so, it seems an unlikely direction for it to take, mainly because it doesn't seem oriented through the central area of the lens, as flare usually does.

Am I missing something here? What made it do that?

*edit* Btw, beautiful photo.

I have no idea! It wasn't planned or expected. It was a nice surprise when I picked up the prints though...

Keith said:
Deliberately took my Yashica Electro's lens out of it's comfort zone to see what it would do ... with an interesting result. How did this camera deserve such an iconic lens? :p

yasicafuji_25-1.jpg
I love that little 'space needle' thing!

Chris101 said:
I love that little 'space needle' thing!

Where do these come from .... what actually causes that little formation in an image when light gets into a lens. I've seen it before and don't know enough technically to understand where it originates!

The 21mm Super Angulon will sometimes make very colourful flare if shooting contra jour. It's not an everytime sort of thing, but a prize to brighten a dull shot when you least expect it.

Glenn

Attachments

• Srinagar1.jpg
    Srinagar1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1
  • OverTheRainbow.jpg
    OverTheRainbow.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1
Back