the way of the dodo

SimonSawSunlight

Simon Fabel
Local time
5:31 AM
it's perfectly possible that a similar thread existed before but i want a clean and current slate.

i stated recently that shooting and developing Neopan 400 is a bit like snacking on bits of the world's last reserve of dodo meat you nicked from the freezer, but it's just so good.

with that in mind, what extinguished species of film do you need back in your freezer? and more importantly, why? what property cannot be replaced by any current offering? or is it simply an emotional matter? does dodo meat taste even better because you can only get chicken and turkey at the grocery store?

I miss paper, more than film & in my opinion it has a great effect on my final prints. Tri-X & FP4+ keep me going..... but i'd sure like to have Boespflug & Guillemot "Brilliant" and Forte Fortezo & Polygrade warmtone back...complete with cadmium.

Plus X, Plus X, and Plus X. I love the "old school" look, and I love its tonality when rated at 320 and developed in Diafine. I tried Fomapan 200 and FP4+ and while those are both good films, neither completely captures the gorgeous mid-tones of Plus X (that said, I have been shooting a lot of FP4+ recently). I also shoot Tri-X and TMax films, but there's something about Plus X that captures the best of bw 35mm photography for me.

I still have about 10 rolls, and would love to see that film brought back.

And I would also love to see Neopan 400 back too.

The original AgfaPan, APX-100. It was my go to film from the mid-1980's till Agfa went out of business. The replacement stuff is crap.

I love the tonal gradations (especially skin tones) and the rich blacks I got with the original AgfaPan processed in the original Rodinal (although the stuff Adox is now making is very close to being the same).

Best,
-Tim

I'm not totally upset about film extinctions. The films I use now are enough for me. But like the OP, I miss Acros Neopan 100, and like Ko.Fe I miss a cheap film for testing.

I don’t really mourn film losses; not for lack of want, but just to keep my sanity.

I’d also say ditto to all forms of Neopan, along with APX. My PJ professor in undergrad was old school and pushed us to HP5/TX, but I shot neopan 400 almost exclusively. Need to get around to scanning those.
At the beginning of summer I mentioned I purged binders full of crap I shot in middle and high school. For whatever reason, I shot mostly Plus-X and APX - I think I got a lot of old stock for cheap. Wish I could get those back and shoot them on worthwhile subjects and develop them properly.

Surprised it isn’t mentioned here yet, but also pack film, be it Polaroid or Fuji. So much creative potential with transfers and negative recovery. Got one box left, but I don’t want to spend a lot searching for an instant back for my GX680 just for 10 shots.

Agfa Pan ISO 400. It went extinct a few years after I discovered it. Arista managed to spool some rolls of it (remnant) but didn't last long. Fortunately, I have liked Ilford HP-5 but haven't figured out whether it's as pushable as the Agfa was.

And, of course, Kodachrome...

On a related note: Verichrome Pan.

Its heyday was before my time, so I've only shot it as expired.... But what I have shot with it, it looks fantastic.
Amen. This was a really nice film, even though it was the cheaper, budget-level film, as compared to the "professional" Panatomic X, Plus X and Tri X films from Kodak (at least in the 1970s and 1980s when I shot it).

As another poster wrote, having Kodachrome back would be great too, although I rarely use film for color these days.

As another poster wrote, having Kodachrome back would be great too, although I rarely use film for color these days.

I'm so torn on this, too. I have a (or several, if very old) digital camera, and that's what I go to for what little personal color work I shoot; but there's nothing like rich transparencies in medium format. Ilford looks like they're going strong, Adox has some nice BW stocks, but if the big guys drop C41, E6 or even cinema stock, I worry color film will be entirely gone, owing to the complexity of fabricating it. I highly doubt the smaller manufacturers would take up that mantle.

But at $10 a pop each for a roll and developing, it's awfully hard to justify shooting with any frequency.

That said, I have a couple rolls of Super8 Vision3 in the freezer I really need to get around to shooting...

Fuji FP-3000b
Fuji Neopan 1600PR (Superpresto)
Kodak Kodachrome KR64
Kodak Plus-X
Kodak HC-110 (US version)
All sorts of Fuji BW paper

I miss the 1600PR and KR64 most and did never find anything to replace either film.

I used to really like Agfachrome 1000 for window light portraits.

Way back when, I really liked the palette of Agfachrome CT-18 for winter scenes and GAF 64 for fall.

Like many others, I miss Kodachrome, too.

- Murray

I miss missing things. These days I mostly just spend time feeling bad about the fact that I don't feel worse.

Marty

Natura 1600
Neopan 1600
Neopan 400

Those three need to come back. They're all wonderful and unique and you can't replicate the looks they gave.

Back