This week's edition of "Read the [expletive] manual!"

KoNickon

Nick Merritt
Local time
12:45 AM
A week ago I came across an Exakta VX IIa with three lenses; nice bargain thought it needed some sorting out. (Fingers crossed that I have patched the holes in the shutter!) But I couldn't figure out why test rolls of film would only stop winding about halfway through the roll -- the unmistakable sound of the sprocket trying to pull against film that wouldn't budge. I figured I had to have been doing something wrong in loading the film. Sure enough, the instructions say: "Attention: By any means don't press the central part of film rewinding knob, otherwise the film transport will be stopped!" Sure enough, that seems to have solved it.

I think pressing in the center of the rewind knob creates enough friction such that eventually (but not immediately, contrary to the instructions) the film will not advance. But the problem is that there isn't a way to know, other than coming to the end of a roll, whether the film is in fact winding on properly. There's a film advance indicator that is activated by a small wheel that rubs against the tip of the film cartridge. But even though it turns freely when I use my finger, it doesn't work when film is loaded. Annoying but not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

A week ago I came across an Exakta VX IIa with three lenses; nice bargain thought it needed some sorting out. (Fingers crossed that I have patched the holes in the shutter!) But I couldn't figure out why test rolls of film would only stop winding about halfway through the roll -- the unmistakable sound of the sprocket trying to pull against film that wouldn't budge. I figured I had to have been doing something wrong in loading the film. Sure enough, the instructions say: "Attention: By any means don't press the central part of film rewinding knob, otherwise the film transport will be stopped!" Sure enough, that seems to have solved it.

I think pressing in the center of the rewind knob creates enough friction such that eventually (but not immediately, contrary to the instructions) the film will not advance. But the problem is that there isn't a way to know, other than coming to the end of a roll, whether the film is in fact winding on properly. There's a film advance indicator that is activated by a small wheel that rubs against the tip of the film cartridge. But even though it turns freely when I use my finger, it doesn't work when film is loaded. Annoying but not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.
Those little indicators are nice when they work, but the roller inside the supply chamber that contacts the end of the cassette spool is often worn. I know exactly what you mean though, Nick. Last year I fitted new curtains to one of my IIa Exaktas. I was impressed that after thoroughly cleaning and lubricating the mechanism and fitting new curtains, the shutter speeds were bang on with no adjustment to tensions. Even 1/1000 was accurate and consistent right across the gate (checked with my Kyoritsu tester, so, definitively accurate). But...that darned indicator...nup! Have to see what I can do to get that working, because, as you say, it is, indeed, the only way to verify that your film is successfully advancing.

Well, Bret, I think I got myself in trouble because I found that, if I pressed in the center of the rewind knob, the knob would turn when winding on film (so that way I could verify the film was advancing, since the indicator doesn't work). But of course, that's what caused the problem! The thing is that the roller seems perfectly fine. Oh well.

Well, Bret, I think I got myself in trouble because I found that, if I pressed in the center of the rewind knob, the knob would turn when winding on film (so that way I could verify the film was advancing, since the indicator doesn't work). But of course, that's what caused the problem! The thing is that the roller seems perfectly fine. Oh well.
Been there done that! Nick, if the roller is not out of round I suspect the problem, or at least, a part of it, is a lack of friction between the roller and cassette spool. Possibly, the size of modern cassette spools also? The roller is spring loaded to press it against the spool, so if it won't rotate, a lack of friction, or excessive clearance (or both) may be suspected.

If you can find some, (after cleaning the roller with alcohol) I'd suggest applying a thin coat of liquid rubber to the roller. Try to keep it even. This is going to both increase the external diameter of the roller, and provide a surface which should discourage the roller from sliding against the spool without rotating.

Although I have a lot of vintage manual cameras (mostly rangefinders), I usually quickly re-read the manual before loading and shooting a roll just to pick up on any operational nuance that may escape my attention.

Good example is closing a Retina IIa. When I first was fiddling with it at the consignment shop, I could not close the lens bed/clam-shell section fully. Little did I know and quite by accident, I refocused the lens back to infinity and was able to close the camera. I almost didn't buy it ($35). Thought it was broken.

A repeat favorite mistake of mine is to wind the shutter and then find the camera doesn't fire. Oh wait, let's open the finder hood -- there we go. The Ikoflexes have this as a "feature," as does the Kalloflex. And the Exakta VX won't fire with the waist level finder closed.

This is when you have to stop, assess what might be causing the problem, and methodically try to fix it. And when it's overcome, then give yourself a dope slap for forgetting what is often a pretty simple and obvious step.

One of my Exas has a defect where if you wind on with the finder hood closed, the shutter fires automatically!

Obviously, the OP and some posters here haven't read a Nikon DSLR manual. Some of mine are so thick, they can be used as doorstops.

Fortunately, a lot of useful information is nowadays available online. I never home-tinker on my cameras, but minor problems can often be resolved easily by a Google search and some careful reading. Or by perusing the many related posts on this and other online photo sites.

In the past I've found that many so-called camera "problems" are caused by lack of information or misinformation. An example will suffice. Many Voigtlander cameras from the 1950s and 1960s will not "fire" without being loaded with film. Especially the Vitos. So many are sold off as not functioning because the seller didn't know this.

A little knowledge can be dangerous in the wrong hands and most definitely advantageous in the right ones...

With the Exa II or Exakta 500, there is a small lever on the back of the camera - it’s a shutter lock.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a few of these were sold as “not working” because the lock was on.

Look at almost any make and/or model of camera on ebay and you'll see that very few of them come with the instruction book (same goes for body and lens caps). I often wonder if they were snatched from someone's shoulder a short time before the advert is put up...

Regards, David

PS (Meaning I've managed an edit for the first time.) Now look at all the unsold instruction books for sale on ebay and wonder why the cameras and books never get together...

Back