Time to dump my Olympus EM10 in the garbage?

zuiko85

Mentor
Local time
2:20 AM
Just noticed there is a red spot on my sensor. Shows up in the photos also. Camera bought used 18 months ago and I don't know if there is anything that can be done about this sort of fault. Just about disgusted with digital. Sure, it can do amazing things....when it works. I'm an old timer who started in film over 50 years ago and it's just so much simpler, 36 brand new single use sensors each placed at the focus plane with a flick of the thumb.
Any ideas from the more knowledgeable gratefully accepted.

Just noticed there is a red spot on my sensor.

It's quite a common problem, and easily fixed with almost any editing program. Which (if any) photo editing/processing software do you use?

BTW, it certainly doesn't warrant dumping your camera!

How old is the camera? IIRC, there have been several releases of the E-M10. If yours is still under warranty, then I'd get it repaired - if it isn't, I'd just fix each image in software. Minor inconvenience, but no expense.

Thanks, I'll have to do some reading. As I said, those more knowledgeable (just about anyone, I have so limited a knowledge about digital.)
I've actually heard the term pixel mapping but didn't know what it means.
The camera is a first generation EM10 so about 6-7 years old.

Sorry for the sour attitude, it's just I'm used to picking up my original Olympus Pen viewfinder camera made about April 1960 (so 61 years old) and it still works and is as modern as the latest version of HP5 I load it with.

My mind is not that sharp anymore, must be all those photo chemicals absorbed through my stinky fixer stained fingers from so many years ago.

Sorry for the sour attitude, it's just I'm used to picking up my original Olympus Pen viewfinder camera made about April 1960 (so 61 years old) and it still works and is as modern as the latest version of HP5 I load it with.

But load it with a spoiled roll of film and... ;)

I've run into one or two stuck pixels before, let us know if the pixel mapping works! I used to own the original EM10, it' still a nice camera in many ways. M4/3 technology doesn't move fast, so that 16MP sensor is still only one generation behind in sensors... Oly still puts it in their EPL cheapo series, in fact!

Well, after reading over the link it seems what I'm seeing is a 'hot pixel'. No matter, it is still handled the same way.
In fact from my research this is common on all sensors, an understood problem that has workarounds.
You should see what happens to the digital SLR's on the ISS. The extra radiation in orbit really plays havoc with the sensors. So my panic mode was not necessary.

I guess the film equivalent is the occasional pinhole in the emulsion or scratches either on the base side or emulsion. For base side scratches nose grease is my preferred remedy.

I had a small 4 pixel brick red spot glowing in a few photo's and guessing the worst would have done something about it but for the virus. When the time came that I could I took a photo as a sample and searched and searched but it had gone and - touch wood - is still not there. So I wonder if some external cause came and went, like dirt in the carburettor etc. I'll probably never know.

Regards, David

Time to dump my Olympus EM10 in the garbage?
No. On recycle.

I have E-PL1 and 500D digital cameras. No sensor issues in these 10+ YO cameras.
If you got one digital camera bad it doesn't mean all digital cameras are bad.

When digital was starting up, with the exception of my first pure digital camera, if they are working I always gave them away to someone in what was my larger circle.

Worst case, find a charity like salvation army (keep stuff local) and donate it. Perhaps to a local public high school. I did this with a LOT of stuff a year ago.

B2 (;->

No. On recycle.

I have E-PL1 and 500D digital cameras. No sensor issues in these 10+ YO cameras.
If you got one digital camera bad it doesn't mean all digital cameras are bad.

Ya know. I got one of those cameras too (actually an EP-2) and my son has my earlier EPL-1. They both work just great..... still. Sold a print from the EP-2 just recently. 12MP m4/3 not so bad :)

Back