Tom A - 5 Years Gone

The other day I found myself reading through some of his old posts here on rangefinderforum.com. What an incredible catalogue of knowledge from hands-on experience.

His inspiration and gentleness is definitely missed on this forum. Still have that softie on one of my cameras. I drove up to Philadelphia to the Nikon Historical Society event in October 2016 for one day. I remember he had posted on the forum that he couldn't make it since a Leica event in Vancouver was happening at the same time. A couple months later he was no more.

One of the best. What a guy . Never met him but wish I have and would love a chat with whiskey and cameras in hand.

I wish that I had made more conversations with him here. A real gentleman and photography enthusiast.

Tom was born in 1943...and gone from this realm for 5 years now.
Rest in Peace, Tom

Wow, its been that long? Doesn't seem like it. I wish I could have met him before he died, he was one of the most knowledgeable, kind, and interesting people on RFF.

Boy, it doesn't seem like it's been that long that we lost both Tom and Roger.

I'll never forget Tom's kind words here on RFF when I purchased my M2 and 35/2.8 Summaron rig. He suggested getting in close with the Summaron as that is its' sweet spot (or something to that affect - see Tom's comments @Photoethnography.com).

Always a kind man, a truly gentle soul who is missed - along with Roger and Francis.

Love this beautiful thought from Tom (from the same link above):
All of these statements are based on my own experience with these lenses; the results are based on my style of shooting, handheld and with black/white medium speed films (400 ASA). This said, I think that I could survive for a long time with a M2 and a 35/2 Classic and a bag full of Tri-X. It is amazing what you can coax out of a negative shot with this combination!

Now I am going out to shoot a couple of rolls of Tech-Pan with a M2 and my old 35/1,4. The sun is beating down on the beach and life is good.

Tom A Tom Abrahamsson Vancouver, BC Canada www.rapidwinder.com - --

Happy shooting Tom!

Any man that can remain civil in the face of incivility is a true hero in my mind.

I have failed on many occasions to be civil, to be a gentleman, to be kind and courteous in the face of incivility, pomposity, and rudeness. What is it that makes the difference between men of wisdom like Tom, and men of the quick emotional triggers; men that are quick to respond to adversity with rudeness and snarky immature quips? Was Tom the last of the good guys? Probably not, but sometimes it seems that way.

God bless Tom and all the people like him.

Mike

Saw Tom Abrahamsson once at a Cologne Photokina in discussion with Leica employees.
Of course I was too shy to get involved, but I should have at least taken a photo from a distance.

Tom was very helpful to me when I was trying to make up my mind about which rangefinder system and model I should get. He approved of my choice of the Nikon S2, and we exchanged a few ideas along the way. I helped him get his motor driven F back in working order, and without my asking for anything in return he sent me a box of items and one of his photos with the crimp seal (I'll cherish that forever). And then he was gone. May you have an endless supply of Three Nuns in your pipe, Tom.

PF

I never had opportunity to meet Tom personally. And I never had conversation with him. But I have read many of his post and I'm sure he really was a good wise man. As others already said, a gentleman.

Back