Tom A - A Great Life Well Lived and Much Missed

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
3:52 AM
A month from today and it will be a year since Tom's passing.

How much do I miss Tom? So much that I still have not been able to face going thru my pics and share pics of him - its too painful for me even now.

Tom was truly a wonderful person. I was only his friend. I can't imagine how his wife Tuulikki is dealing with his passing.

Please join me in wishing Tuulikki well and reminding her that she is not alone in missing Thomas!

Stephen

i knew tom from rff and chatting online with him...i asked him a favour once, to help someone who lived in vancouver with a photo/gear problem. he didn't even blink and said sure.
we had b'fast once with his usual friday morning group...what an excellent time, great conversation and cameras being passed all about the table. some of these guys were heavy hitters with full photo backgrounds and they all were as gracious as tom...and when it was all over tom offered to drive me back to my hotel.
class act all the way.

Yeah, I miss him too, though not as intensely since we only communicated a few times, swapping some stuff and him giving me some insights on the Nikon S system cameras. But Tom made friends of whomever he interacted with.

I keep up with what Tuulikki is doing by following her Flickr posts, and sending a note now and then. I wish her all the best.

PF

Dear Tuulikki:
Tom had a kind and loving heart, and some of us love him even if we didn't have personal contact with him, only written...
It is not hard to imagine the amazing, caring life both of you shared: in our memories, some people just remain alive with us in a natural way... He lives with us all the time...
We all share with you the pain of his passing, and we hope his sweet ways, for so long by your hand, help you go on in life with the deep joy of his never ending love.
I have read all of his thousands of posts here, and when I walk with my R4M, he's there with me offering ideas and opinions... Isn't that talking?
Best wishes...
Juan Valdenebro

I`d like to add my thoughts too.
His warmth and generosity were apparent in the way in which he freely shared his knowledge and experiences both here and in PM`s.

Still follow Tuulikki on Flickr and I`m sure that I speak for many when I say that our thoughts are with her as we approach the anniversary of Tom`s passing.

Beautifully put Michael.

He was a very generous and authoritative contributor to all sorts of threads. And he was a great champion of the M2, the quintessential Leica.

Never had opportunity to meet Tom personally, only get to know him through RFF.

Found a very open to others, gentle and competent person, a real asset for passionate photographers.

Missing his posts. I didn't know about Tuulikki on Flickr, I'll follow her activities.

robert

Edit: not able to find her on Flickr, can someone give me a link to her pages? Thanks

I knew Tom only through his posts and the words of others; Tuulikki, you were fortunate to have shared your life with a special person, I hope your many warm and happy memories give you great comfort! In that sense he will always be with you.

Warmest,

Never had opportunity to meet Tom personally, only get to know him through RFF.

Found a very open to others, gentle and competent person, a real asset for passionate photographers.

Missing his posts. I didn't know about Tuulikki on Flickr, I'll follow her activities.

robert

Edit: not able to find her on Flickr, can someone give me a link to her pages? Thanks

Here you go, Robert. She still uses the T&T and Mr. B Abrahamsson site. https://www.flickr.com/photos/rapidwinder/

PF

I have never met the man but he seemed so friendly. In fact, he seemed to be a model human being. A great loss to a world that needs more people like him.

I have two RapidWinders, one for my M2 and another for my M6. Fantastic products. And I have a Tom A. commemorative Softie on each, so I'll always remember him as long as I use my M cameras.

Already a year?

I never met him. I think I may have PM'd him once or twice, but not sure, maybe just talked via posts in threads.

What I do know is I never missed reading his posts. What a wealth of knowledge and so kindly presented. I still think of him sometimes.

Tuulikki if you read this, I never met you nor to my knowledge talked to you on line. But I hope you take comfort knowing how many people he touched, and as you can see from the posts here, he is still remembered and thought of kindly.

I only chatted with Tom A on the phone but it was through his willing to talk to me for 20-30 minutes that I was able to sort out my options for rangefinders. I still have a Tom A soft release and it's permanently attached to the Leica M6 that I ended up with.

I believe Tom A also raved about the 28MM F2 Ultron CV and it was this in mind that informed my purchase of said lens :)

Every time I use my camera that softie reminds me of that gracious nice fellow. I follow Tuulikki as well and perhaps even more closely than I did Tom. She is good photographer in her own right and I hope she continues to shoot. That act of getting out and shooting I think is probably the best way of keeping him in our hearts. She is a blessing to us and certainly was for her man.

He was very generous and great to share information for many years here. Because of his kindness he is still helping people like me.

I've met him once, in Rotterdam in 2000 on a meeting of the Nikon Historical Society that was organized by Nikon collector Peter Lownds. It was a great and unforgettable day.

Very sad that we lost Peter too, almost a year ago now.

Erik.

Never met him (South Florida to BC, Canada). But he was my photo mentor. He always graciously commented on so many of my photos. Always kind but informative. Thank you Tuulikki for jumping in and doing some of the same. May God bless you.

Back