Tom's Softies will continue

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
4:39 AM
Tuulikki let me know that Tom's Softies, and possibly other products as well, will continue.

Tom started producing his machined soft releases about 19 years ago in response to cheaper stamped products often failing to seat properly in the camera, sometimes jamming shutter releases, and even sometimes damaging the camera.

Since then an endless line of imitators have aimed at the niche marketplace Tom created.

Get the best, Tom's Soft Release.

Stephen

Tom's Soft Releases - history and special editions

Tom On Flickr
the pic of him laughing in the hospital was taken the day before he died.

Tom's Biography at Finland Leica Shooters

Tom's Uncollectibles

Tom's Toy Shop

Tom's Leica RapidWinders

Tom's RapidWinder History

Tom's Nikon Rangefinder Rapidwinders

2005: The Rangefinder Year that was - as reported by Tom

Tom's Hood for the Nikon Rangefinder 50/1.1

Tom's Hoods for Nikon Rangefinder 35/1.8 & 35/2.5 Lenses

Thats Great to hear !!
My Favorite softie I lost ... it was the special Edition 'RFf' version

Tom then told me a secret to keeping softies... a dab of nail polish before you screw it in will secure it nicely
At present am using Tom's ying/yang softie

I hope we see atleast a small stream of rapidwinders still for sale new.

I mean there has to be some unfinished pieces sitting around?

I for one had been mulling around buying one new this coming spring when I have more expendable income.

Thanks for the news Stephen. I will definitely be grabbing a few in the coming months; I always meant to and never had.

I just ordered one chrome and one black as back up; good to hear they will live on.

Same here. I had bought a mini in December and have loved it. I just heard of his passing and picked up a few as backups. I exchanged a few emails with him in late November and he was very nice.

Back