Topcon Super D

It is hard to top Tokyo Kogaku glass, Rokkor came close but not as conservatively built.

I shot a bit with Topcor lenses from the late 1950's, including this 58mm focal length. I was astounded with the optical quality. Very good indeed.

It is hard to top Tokyo Kogaku glass, Rokkor came close but not as conservatively built.

Minolta was always enthusiast focused with their SLR pricing. I am guessing that Topcon was a bit more expensive like Nikon? I see some of their lenses even had bayonet mounts for the hoods - that's quite expensive to machine.

Teemō;2873027 said:
Minolta was always enthusiast focused with their SLR pricing. I am guessing that Topcon was a bit more expensive like Nikon? I see some of their lenses even had bayonet mounts for the hoods - that's quite expensive to machine.

The pro level Topcon SLRs were just as rugged as the Nikon F, but hampered by that small diameter Exakta derived lens mount and also by a certain quirkiness to their body designs and styling and less exposure via advertising in photo magazines in the USA.

I believe the US Navy picked the Topcon SLR system over the Nikon F system in the 1960s, as their official on board 35mm camera system.

Back