Topcor LTM Topcor-S 2/50mm

Topcor M39 screw mount lenses

SyPat

Established
Local time
12:14 PM
Im' curious about the Topcor-S 2/50mm. It's a typical Gauss design, but how does it compare (contrast, flare, sharpness, corners) with the other f/2 LTM lenses of the late 50's, Summicron (first version), Nikkor 2/50, Canon 1.8/50 ?

I have an f2 50mm Topcon lens which I have used for many years. I will check if it is the same one you are talking about. But if it is the same or similar it is fine, e.i. nobody will know it isn't a Leica.

I've owned and used the black version in LTM. It is an amazing lens - probably comparable to a Summicron. Very crisp images, with good contrast. They are not cheap however - probably about $400 or more for a good one these days. They are occasionally available on eBay. I have a review of this lens on my Wordpress blog, with some sample shots.

Here are a couple of earlier threads which touch on this lens obliquely, but have a fair amount of information about the Topcor-S 50.

The photos speak for themselves. Not only optically excellent, but very well built and smooth to operate as well. Lighter than the chrome Canon 1.8, which is excellent, and no tendency to chronically build up oily haze like the later black Canon 1.8s do. As someone else noted, no one is likely to know from the photos they were not taken with one of the nicer Summicrons. Does very well with color also, so no need to confine yourself to B&W.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137502&highlight=Topcor-S+50

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70348&highlight=Topcor-S+50

mine looks like this:

Topcor-S f2 5cm
by andreas, on Flickr

As I don't have experience with either I can't say how it compares to Summicron and Nikkor 2/50, and I have been battling with the Canon because each of various copies had some degree of milky glass.

But I can say that I like the Topcor a lot. I love its handling, yes a strong word, but of over 100 manual lenses I like how its aperture ring feels best, and its focus ring is very, very smooth and damped as well.

I only have used it on digital cameras, above all Sony A7 and Ricoh GXR M. As to expect from a lens of such vintage it flares and looses contrast if used against light. It's plenty sharp for me, I like its colors though I think that it is very good for B&W. I have not made any tests and don't know what else I could say but link the folder with the photos that I have taken with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/albums/72157644078970601

two samples, both wide open on Sony A7:

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr

I had one of those in the 70s and used it on my Leica IIIa. It was so much easier to use than the old 50 mm Elmar with its fiddly aperture settings. I liked the way it looked too and it was a fine lens with regard to performance. Sadly, I must have traded it in for something later on. It was a great lens and when I mention it today to Leica enthusiasts, they usually don't know what I'm talking about. I can't believe what they cost today. I think I paid less than $20 for mine back in the day...TW

I had one like kuuan shows for a while. The lens construction was solid. The focus throw seemed very short to me. As far as images were concerned, I couldn't distinguish much that would differentiate it from other lenses of the time. It was sharp. I preferred the LTM Nikkor-H.C which I already had for its close-focus ability, so I let the Topcor-S go.

I have an all silver(1st version) Topcor-S 50/2, interestingly, its body is identical to my Canon 50/1.8.
I also have the Topcor 3.5cm and just bought the 9cm, I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

I have the chrome & black versions of the 5cm/2 Topcor-S & they're hard to distinguish from the other Japanese double-Gauss LTM lenses of that era, Canon 50/1.8 (I had the chrome, post-Serenar version & still have the black), Yashica 5cm/1.8 Yashinon, Chiyoko 5cm/2 Super Rokkor, etc. Not in a bad way, they're all good; in my experience they're all a bit more contrasty than contemporaneous 5cm Summicrons I've used (collapsible, rigid, dual range), but have a little less resolution. The 5cm/2 Nikkor-H is a Sonnar, so visibly distinctive.

Im' curious about the Topcor-S 2/50mm. It's a typical Gauss design, but how does it compare (contrast, flare, sharpness, corners) with the other f/2 LTM lenses of the late 50's, Summicron (first version), Nikkor 2/50, Canon 1.8/50 ?

I have an all silver(1st version) Topcor-S 50/2, interestingly, its body is identical to my Canon 50/1.8.
I also have the Topcor 3.5cm and just bought the 9cm, I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Where ever did you find the 9cm/3.5 Topcor? I've been looking for one of those for ten years! I also have the 3.5cm, 5cm/f2 (Black) and 13.5cm/4.

Never have seen a 9cm for sale!

Thanks, Gary

I've had a Topcor S 50mm f2 (1st chrome version) for the past 6 months. It came with a Leotax F. Its the only 50mm RF lens I've tried, so I can't make comparisons. It's a little lacking in contrast and soft at the edges wide open. It seems excellent across the field at f2.8. It's superbly made and feels very hefty. 1/3 aperture click stops and super smooth focus. I could do without the infinity lock but otherwise I'm delighted with it. Mainly FP4 plus a handful of Agfa and Rollei E6 process films .

I have the second version of this lens, the focus throw is very long - on a Canon P I can see the focus tab through the viewfinder when I get towards 1 meter.

Does the third, all black version with the short focus throw have a focus tab? And how much does the focus throw differ exactly?

..Does the third, all black version with the short focus throw have a focus tab?
And how much does the focus throw differ exactly?

if mine, also seen above, is that 3rd, black version you are referring to than:

- yes:

Topcor-S f2 5cm
by andreas, on Flickr

- and: I don't know how they compare, focus throw of this version seen is very short, from minimum focus distance of 1m to infinity about 90 degrees or a quarter of the full circle

Thanks Kuuan, mine is mk. II which has that longer throw like the Serenar 1.8, so around 180 degrees. It's pretty nice for zone focussing.

I'm coming over from Nikon F mount pre-AI so I'm used to the long throws :)

I’ve had difficulty finding a Topcor-S 5cm f2 lens in clean condition and am about to give up (as I pack another lens to go back to Japan). Any recommendations on a 50/2ish lens that is comparable in rendering and build quality? Chiyoko Super Rokkor 5cm f2?

I’ve had difficulty finding a Topcor-S 5cm f2 lens in clean condition and am about to give up (as I pack another lens to go back to Japan). Any recommendations on a 50/2ish lens that is comparable in rendering and build quality? Chiyoko Super Rokkor 5cm f2?

Unless you already own them ...You can't go wrong with either the Canon/Serenar 50mm f1.8 or the Nikkor 5cm f2 lens in LTM....one is a Gauss design and the other a Sonnar design so you can pick what you most prefer.

Both lenses are usually easy to find for sale, especially the Canon/Serenar in that nice all chrome finish.

I had one for awhile. Nice optics, but I gravitated away from this focal length for rangefinders and it hit the used market for someone else to enjoy.

Roadside Memories by Steve, on Flickr

Eastman 5234 in Diafine

Both the f/2 Nikkor and the f/1.8 Cannon are very good, but the Topcor may have the slight edge. The Zeiss Sonnar (Jupiter 8) from the 50's is excellent but you will need an adapter.

Back