Trichromy - RGB color separation

A brick of Kodak Elite Chrome 100, expired in 2002, but still in its original shrink wrapping. :cool:

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Ultrafine eXtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen #25 Red, #58 Green, and #47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

2020.08.11 Roll #255-05103-positive-trichrome.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

The still life sets are great, and seem to posses very good clarity in the colors. I wonder if the tiffen filters provide greater attenuation of adjacent spectrum compared to what is possible on a thin bayer overlay

Very cool work and the colors are surprisingly good. Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you, Bingley! I don't shoot much color film, but this is really fun. :D

The still life sets are great, and seem to posses very good clarity in the colors. I wonder if the tiffen filters provide greater attenuation of adjacent spectrum compared to what is possible on a thin bayer overlay

Thank you! I was also surprised by the color clarity, but what do you mean by a thin bayer overlay? Are you referring to a digital sensor Bayer filter array?

These are so cool. It almost seems like the frame combination imparts a 3-dimensional effect of its own, maybe due to the multiplication of the grain as well as the details. It makes me want to give it a try!

These are so cool. It almost seems like the frame combination imparts a 3-dimensional effect of its own, maybe due to the multiplication of the grain as well as the details. It makes me want to give it a try!

Thanks! I'm not quite sure what it is, but they definitely look different than a conventional color image. Give it a try! It's not too difficult, and a lot of fun as well. Would love to see your results here! :)

Since all of my trichromes have basically been still lifes, I wanted to try incorporating some "motion" into the image. Here's my first attempt, a self portrait combining my two favorite hobbies, photography and rock climbing. :D

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Ultrafine eXtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen #25 Red, #58 Green, and #47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

2020.10.13 Roll #261-05340-positive-trichrome.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Very cool! The colored sections of you are the most obvious but the places where the sunlight has rendered taht sort of rainbow effect by moving is also pretty cool.

Very cool! The colored sections of you are the most obvious but the places where the sunlight has rendered taht sort of rainbow effect by moving is also pretty cool.

Thank you, relistan! I was hoping the ghost images of me would be brighter and more prominent, but overall I'm still really happy with how this experiment turned out. :)

I don't have the correct filters (red 25A, blue 80A, green X1/11) but I tried...

OlivierAOP, I think that looks great! For me, more than half the fun is experimenting with the process, so I don't think you need to have the "correct" filters. Look forward to seeing more of your results! :D

Trichromy (sort of)

Trichromy (sort of)

Using ideas posted in some of the first posts of this thread.
Breaking waves
Triple exposure of Portra 160 (with red, blue and green filters). Mamiya C330. Standard commercial development, some resizing, no colour changes.

Regards

Joao

Back