Trichromy - RGB color separation

Using ideas posted in some of the first posts of this thread.
Breaking waves
Triple exposure of Portra 160 (with red, blue and green filters). Mamiya C330. Standard commercial development, some resizing, no colour changes.

Regards
Joao

Gorgeous. I love this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using ideas posted in some of the first posts of this thread.
Breaking waves
Triple exposure of Portra 160 (with red, blue and green filters). Mamiya C330. Standard commercial development, some resizing, no colour changes.

Regards

Joao

Interesting result, Joao!

Quercus chrysolepis, canyon live oak. I guess this is "tree"-chromy? :D

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Ultrafine eXtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen #25 Red, #58 Green, and #47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

2020.10.13 Roll #261-05344-positive-trichrome.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

The Beak Traverse (V3), Castle Rock State Park.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Ultrafine eXtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen #25 Red, #58 Green, and #47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

2020.10.13 Roll #261-05347-positive-trichrome.jpg

2020.10.13 Roll #261-05351-positive-trichrome.jpg

2020.10.13 Roll #261-05354-positive-trichrome.jpg

@dourbalistar, that's some really nice work there. I like how you get vibrant color images without straying into Velvia territory.

@dourbalistar, that's some really nice work there. I like how you get vibrant color images without straying into Velvia territory.

Thank you for the kind words, DougK. Trichromy started as an experiment during the pandemic, but I think I'll incorporate it more regularly. I enjoy the process a lot. Thankfully, we still have Velvia for ultra saturated colors. :D

Great work. The colors are vivid yet more lifelike than you usually see from color films. I especially like the ones with a moving subject who shows up in different colors because of the time difference between shots.

Here's one with the "correct" filters, no. 29, 58 and 47 Wratten. On 80mm PS at f/5.6 and Bronica SQ-A, Acros II.

Good stuff, Olivier! How do you like the results from this "correct" filter set compared to your previous experiments?

p.s. Nice Christmas cactus bloom you have there. :)

It's easier "out of the box" with the correct filters. A lot less colour correction required. I'll try it on landscapes this summer. The colours are really nice and the post processing is relatively simple. Hardest part is not disturbing the frame between exposures!

@dourbalistar We like this plant! Had it for over 10 years, and it keeps blooming every month or so.

2020.11.08 Roll #262-05534-positive-trichrome.jpg

2021.01.16 Roll #267-05618-positive-trichrome.jpg

2021.01.16 Roll #267-05618-positive-trichrome.jpg

Exquisite. And to commenters who always say ‘why not just do it conventionally’ I respond with the question ‘then why are there no photos that look like these?’.

Marty

Exquisite. And to commenters who always say ‘why not just do it conventionally’ I respond with the question ‘then why are there no photos that look like these?’.

Marty

Thank you, Marty, that's very kind. Sometimes I don't know what I'll get with trichromy, but I was very happy with how this one turned out.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen #25 Red, #58 Green, and #47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

2021.05.15 Roll #276-06160-positive-trichrome.jpg

Back