Trying out cameras ?

dee

Well-known
Local time
8:32 AM
There are interesting posts about various Fuji cameras , pros and cons .
I stumbled into my X-Pro1 , in an actual store [ now gone ] but it felt right the moment I picked it up , and actually played with the X-T 1 in a dept store until it dropped into my price range .

The X-P2 is simply an extension of the XP1 experience , but how do you get to handle the various cameras to decide your preference ?
There are no places around me with all the options.

You don’t. Not anymore. Camera stores have and are disappearing all over the world. In the US there are probably less than 200 left. Of those only a few carry a variety of current offerings. I cannot see how the UK would be any different.
So, what to do? Just pick through the reviews I guess. Or, travel hundreds of miles just to handle what you may be interested in. Neither option sounds very good to me but what are your choices?

Back when I was shopping for a camera, I would find someone who was using one and "interview" them about it, and meet in person (back when that was a thing) to try it out if the owner was amenable. This is how I found out that I wanted an X100.
Nowadays, I wouldn't take a chance on "trying out" anything that doesn't have a full return/refund option. The market for all durable/luxury goods (luxury in that photography is a luxury activity) is so volatile that I would only buy a camera if it is worth parts to me, or if I know I can fix it; that is, I'd only buy from a charity shop, unless it was something that I absolutely knew I wanted.
Phil Forrest

Guess I'm lucky to have local camera stores. There is everything from the Leica Store to regular retail operations like Samys, Mike's Camera , Paul's Photo, Stelvio's etc in my haunts.

Sometimes if what you are looking at is mainstream, BestBuy (huge box electronics store) will carry it.

I bought the Sony a6000 based only on what I read and saw online...I used it the first few month as is, thinking the whole time I bought the wrong camera for me...then I added an aftermarket battery grip and everything felt better...I learned how to use it and maneuver through the menus...
I have not bought any other camera body since...lenses and adapters YES but I'm very happy with this one...
I guess you adapt to it if its worth it to you...

Sometimes if what you are looking at is mainstream, BestBuy (huge box electronics store) will carry it.

BB sells cameras but they display them like Costco - chained to the countertop or bolted onto a swivel post.
One cannot hold them to the eye or on the shoulder or neck to get a feel for the body or handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here for my SONY A7. Bought used without having ever one handled. The seller had offered a 30 day return period, therefore no risk in trying it out. I was skeptical about the EVF but it works well and the adjustable diopter is very helpful.

I bought the Sony a6000 based only on what I read and saw online...I used it the first few month as is, thinking the whole time I bought the wrong camera for me...then I added an aftermarket battery grip and everything felt better...I learned how to use it and maneuver through the menus...
I have not bought any other camera body since...lenses and adapters YES but I'm very happy with this one...
I guess you adapt to it if its worth it to you...

BB sells cameras but they display them like Costco - chained to the countertop or bolted onto a swivel post.
One cannot hold them to the eye or on the shoulder or neck to get a feel for the body or handling.

Perhaps their policy has changed, then. While I do remember the camera being attached to prevent theft, it definitely was possible to hold and use the viewfinder normally.

I haven't been in a BB since the virus stuff, even though I know they're open here.

Back