Trying to Get Back into Photography: Sony A7 or A7R w/ OM adapted Lenses = answer?

Also, one more question about using adapted OM lenses...

Can I just buy this adapter (KF) and use OM lenses and get great results or are there some limitations such as "can't use wide open" or "only good with longer lenses and not wides" etc?

Can you elaborate on this?

Above the EVF is a rectangular "eye/face" sensor. The A7 is poorly programmed and if anything comes ~25cm from the sensor it switches the display from screen to EVF. Annoying when you want to shoot from the hip with the tilted screen. Plus there is no way to toggle manually between the modes via a custom button (you can only disable the screen). You can toggle but via the main menu. So silly.

So remove the viewfinder eyecup and put a small piece of tape partly over the sensor. That helps a lot.

Re: MF adapters. They are purely mechanical, allowing you to attach the lens and offset it so that you get the native focus range. They can be a fraction of a mm too short, meaning you can focus past infinity. They can be shimmed.

Above the EVF is a rectangular "eye/face" sensor. The A7 is poorly programmed and if anything comes ~25cm from the sensor it switches the display from screen to EVF. Annoying when you want to shoot from the hip with the tilted screen. Plus there is no way to toggle manually between the modes via a custom button (you can only disable the screen). You can toggle but via the main menu. So silly.

For what it's worth, you can set manual toggle between viewfinder and back screen on the A7rII. I find the auto toggle to be a pain as well and have it set to a button.

Last year when I decided I needed a digital to restart photography, I started with the Sony A7 series in mind (I was thinking the A7 III). No doubt it is a game changing camera for digital (now followed by the Nikon Z series). In the end after considering the cost of the A7 III, lack of availibility at that time, plus the cost of fully compatible lenses, I decided to go with a back-up plan which is the Fuji (XT-2 in my case). Being mainly a film photographer in the past also, I love the more film like feel of the XT series (dials and controls). I am adapting a lot of old lenses to it, but usually just use the kit zoom. I find myself shooting a lot of film, and am planning to use the Fuji to image negatives, but I do use the Fuji as a camera also, and love it. I am not trying to change your mind as you clearly know what you want, but just thought I'd chime in. I think the twist for me was the extent I went back to film (I thought the Fuji would be my main camera going forward). Then again, who knows where I will be in a year or two.

I've owned an original A7 since the day it went on sale and think I've gotten my money's worth. But startup times can be sluggish (~10 seconds?)..
Start-up time is one of the great mysteries of the A7, and seems to depend on a lot of factors.

Some are obvious, like the choice of lens; with a manual focus lens start-up is fastest, power-zooms and lenses with focus memory require the camera to do more initialization at power-up. Also obvious is the SD card; some cards make start-up slower, others make it go faster. I've had best results with fast 2GB cards.

A weird one is the time the camera was last used. Leave it idle for a week and it's like it needs to recover from a deep coma. But once awakened, switching off and then on takes about a second..

I have an old Nex 6. It is great for what it is. One of the reasons for choosing it was to not feel guilt about leaving my treasured 'legacy' lenses in the cupboard.

I realise now that this was something of a mistake. The legacy lens thing inhibits me.

I have the A7S, which I bought in 2014 as it was full-frame and had the silent shutter. It has been excellent and robust. In native lenses I have the 55/1.8 Zeiss Sonnar lens and had the 35/2.8 Sonnar until I crashed my motorbike with the camera on me. I also use OM lenses on the A7S and find they work really well. I have the Zuiko 50/1.8 and 3.5 macro and 28/3.5. I would guess the 12 MP of the A7S would be gentler on older lenses. The adapter I use for the OM lenses is the Pixco brand.

I would go for later models of the Sony A series. They are significantly better in build quality and overall features. I have not researched it for a while now but though I originally was tempted to get an A7 I quickly found that these days the later models are so much better I could not justify it even though the price is much, much less. If you are shooting vintage lenses I would look into the focus peaking ability of the camera you are thinking of getting as this makes most difference in my view between a camera that just works with old manual lenses and one which really is a joy to use. I have a Sony NEX & (the cropped sensor camera which came out just before the A7) and I think its a bit deficient in the focus peaking department compared even to some cameras by other manufacturers and of the same vintage. BTW the later A6000 etc, series is said to be much better and very close to the A7 series in some respects other than having a cropped sensor. Not sure if that is an option for you.
When it comes to manual focus "dumb" adapters I have found that the best compromise are the K&F Concept adapters. When I started adapting vintage lenses onto mirrorless cameras I used the cheapest Chinese no name brands and while many of them were OK there were some notable failures sometimes due to design, sometimes due to poor QA. I have never had that problem with the K&F ones which appear to be uniformly well made and good value - they are perhaps 2 times the price of cheaper ones but are much, much better. Because I adapt various vintage lenses (Nikon, Canon, Olympus etc.) I simply cannot justify paying the $100+ that the very best brands cost.
If you are thinking of getting an AF adapter then you cannot use the A& as it is not equipped to handle it. The more sophisticated focus technology in the later models makes all the difference. I cannot comment however on what AF adapter you should get as the last time I researched it was several years ago and I am sure the industry has come a long way since then. I will say that these AF adapters seem to have standardized on using the Leica M mount. In which case you would need to also get an OM-Leica M adapter so it can be mounted on the AF adapter. Again some time back when I looked I noted that there was an increasing tendency for these to be available (Due I suppose to the increasing ability of late Leica cameras to focus like a mirrorless in addition to using the rangefinder as well as the increasing availability of AF adapters for the Sony system.) My rough recollection is that these were a bit more expensive though perhaps because of lower volumes sold. This may have changed.

Loving the A7RII w/ Samayang 45mm f/1.8!

Hey, glad to see you're happy with your choice! That combination would be very tasty.

Looking back on your original question, I would have said to stick with your 5D II and consolidate to a single fast prime or short zoom, or both. I would go with the Tamron 45mm f1.8 with EF mount, and a faster wide like the 24/1.4L or 21/2.8 to capture context.

But since you've gone with the A7R II and Samyang, you've got some great resolution, and decent video as well. Video of your child's early months and years will be priceless.

Glad it's working out. Last year I bought the A7 III to use my Zuiko lenses. I noticed that B&H was selling the Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 for $250 so I grabbed one. Works well for my auto focus needs.

My basic kit is the 21mm Zuiko f/3.5, 28mm Zuiko f/2.8, the Sony 50mm f/1.8 FE, and the Zuiko 100mm f/2.8. Easy to carry and covers what I need. I also carry an OM1 or OM2 body with HP-5 in it as well.

Each Zuiko lens has its own Sony E adapter and Sony rear lens cap.

I also use the A7 III with my Leica glass and Nikon/Contax RF glass.

Last configuration is a Contax RTS w/the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 and a Kiron 28mm f/2 lens and A7 C/Y adapters.

(I won't mention my Pentax M42 SMC lenses but they do get put on the A7 every once in a while :) )

Every adapted lens gets it's own adapter & rear lens cap.

Life is good with the Sony A7 III

Back