Ukrainian Film Factory? Svema lives!

Silme_Ea, thanks for the sample photos. The film looks good but the price on that website, 635UAH is 78USD for a 30.5m bulk roll. Ouch. Have you thought about going into the film export business yourself, buying direct from the factory? I'd buy from you if the price is more competitive. :)

635UAH is 78USD for a 30.5m bulk roll. Ouch.
That's retail price. As far as I know, if ordering directly from Astrum, it will be about 1$ for 1m of film, or 2$ for a 36 exposures cassette.

Have you thought about going into the film export business yourself, buying direct from the factory? I'd buy from you if the price is more competitive. :)
I'll consider it :) Though I think hardly anything could beat freestylephoto's Arista offers :)

Polypan F obviously is no FSU film, being labelled "made in the EU". It seems to be a clear base version of Ilford Pan F, intended for cine copy purposes.
Sevo, I'm not a tech, but I compared the Polypan and the PanF with my humble methods (developing both films in the same tank several times with different developers) and grain structure or the behave in different devs has not much in common.
The Filmotec theory is interesting because they sell cine copy films called PF2 and PF2+. I will try to get some meters of this stuff with my next Filmotec order for testing and comparing with Polypan.

Sevo, I'm not a tech, but I compared the Polypan and the PanF with my humble methods (developing both films in the same tank several times with different developers) and grain structure or the behave in different devs has not much in common.

Well, that should settle it! No Pan F, then. I did not make a comparison, and only was going by that Polypan reaches roughly nominal speed and normal contrast with Pan F times for all developers I use.

S
The Filmotec theory is interesting because they sell cine copy films called PF2 and PF2+. I will try to get some meters of this stuff with my next Filmotec order for testing and comparing with Polypan.
The Filmotec datasheets say that their PF2 films are KS perforated. Polypan F uses BH perforation.

The Filmotec datasheets say that their PF2 films are KS perforated. Polypan F uses BH perforation.
True. But Filmotec offers also BH perforation for batches.

I didn't try to say it's the same.
But a predecessor material or a special batch for Polystar or something similar is imaginable
(at least for me and probably only until I got this PF2 - ;))

I admit that my post may sound a bit rude but Ukraine is like many other eastern european countries or china where you don't have a real chance as a foreigner form outside the country to solve problems around your purchase.

Do you have many real chances to solve problems when buying from a weird bloke elsewhere? That's why people invented secure payment systems. And admit, you're not afraid of possible difficulties in solving problems, you're just EXPECTING problems when buying from Ukraine and other countries you've mentioned. It is truly disappointing that you consider all the on-line sellers thence as criminals.

There are some parties involved in such a transaction. Seller, postal service, customs, ... I didn't say that I don't trust the seller.

They're de facto criminals too? How people even live here? :) They buy nothing from other countries, they don't use postal services, when they go shooting with their precious Leica around their neck, a band of AK-47 armed blokes is guarding them? :)

In defense of Ukrainian sellers, I've bought stuff sent from Ukraine over the years and never had a problem. Items were as described, well packed, reasonable shipping fees, and predictable shipping times.

I admit that my post may sound a bit rude but Ukraine is like many other eastern european countries or china where you don't have a real chance as a foreigner form outside the country to solve problems around your purchase.

Sounds quite like the US from a European perspective, or vice versa...

Is this from personal experience?

Ive bought several eBay items from the Ukraine and had no problem; likewise Poland, and Slovakia. I've sold eBay items to Russia and Poland, and dealt with lovely people. Even if you've had the odd problem, it doesn't seem polite, at best, to label an entire country as criminals!

After all, if you pay via credit card, the risk isn't huge.

I'll never understand why people take this personally when we are talking about countries.

Maybe because there's a thing called patriotism? Maybe because one could not always choose a country where to live? Maybe because abroad there are rumours considered as a truth? Nevertheless, one should state a potentially offending to the other party point having some verifiable facts or proofs. Or, at least, seem that way :D

Experiences around me, but business related. All problems with customs and officials in Russia and Ukraine. No problems with individuals. Look up those countries in the transparency index and you know what I mean.

No such problems in Poland, Slovakia etc.

Maybe it's wrong to transfer these business experiences to private buy and sell transactions? Don't know.

I'll never understand why people take this personally when we are talking about countries.

Some Nth Americans think that its ok to throw any offense around, but look out if it comes back .
As you stated` experiences around you` in other words conjecture :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Go back to the OP which was concerned with film availability.

Did anybody notice the Efke film. It was on their website the other day and now they have none. It is an awesome film and the price was dirt cheap. That was what I was going for. Oh well.

Did anybody notice the Efke film. It was on their website the other day and now they have none. It is an awesome film and the price was dirt cheap. That was what I was going for. Oh well.

Efke went out of business a few months ago. I agree, it was great film that I miss a lot.

9x12cm Svema Film Has Arrived.

9x12cm Svema Film Has Arrived.

On the left, is my new (old) box of fifty sheets of 9x12cm Svema Film. This film size is hard-to-find in the USA.

On the right, is my collection of 9x12cm Russian, Zeiss Ikon, and unmarked German 9x12cm Single-Shot Plate Film Holders.

I will make a test exposure soon with this new film, in one of my Plaubel Makiflexes. This will be a fun project. I also have Efke PL100 (fresh!) in this film size.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1
Apart from the political situation, Ukraine is a nice country with very friendly people.
Fortunately you can drive now from Holland, via Germany and Poland to Ukraine without any problems. Before 1989 it was a complete different situation. I remember the border from West-East Germany and the whole crap around Berlin.

Just a photo made in 1988 in Berlin, Checkpoint Charlie. People in the East were even too afraid talking with you. We could hardly get in the East European countries and they could not leave the country.

Ukraine is in development and should find its own way between the European union and Russia. I wish them all luck in an united Europe.

8443960959_2c1ded7816_z.jpg

Back