Uncommon, Rare, and Collector's Delights.

Rare, Expensive, Big, Heavy, saved from the Scrap Heap.
Pacific Optical 12" F4. "EO" format, usually stands for Electro-Optical in my book! Could be from one of the early aerial digital cameras. My work built a 100MPixel monochrome camera 20+ years ago.

View attachment 4833941View attachment 4833942
Oh My F'in Light. That thing is amazing. I am reminded on David Burnett's Aero-Ektar Graflex that he used at the Olympics :D

At a different event:

Burnett.jpeg

DSC04234.jpgDSC04235.jpg

DSC04237.jpgDSC04238.jpg

Finally I can build my X-Ray goggles! 🥳 :ROFLMAO:

On the left an early R-Sonnar, on the right a later R-Sonnar. Those Sonnars were used to photograph X-Ray screens. They are special in the way that they have no aperture at all. They were build for RSBK cameras. That are cameras that were used in medical sectors to take images of X-Ray images. Could not find an image of such a camera yet. But you can see the ring used by the left one to attach to the camera.

I think those Sonnars were screwed into the camera to a fix distance to the screen they should photograph. There was no way to focus it or set an aperture. It was not needed since the screen and the camera did not move and the screen was only faintly glowing. So it needed a bright sharp lens to take images of this X-Ray screen.

Interestingly the left one did not say it is an R-Sonnar at the name ring. The lens is authentic. I just noticed on the images that there is an R at the back of the lens at the rear group. I was quite surprised. Later CZJ put the R before the name at the name ring.

The right one is missing the ring to attach it to the camera but it has the M44 screw.

Rauber, thanks for posting this, I dont think I have ever seen an R-Sonnar in its original mount. I have R-Sonnar 2800190, but it is in a nicely-made "irregular production" LTM mount.

Another old CZJ lens, likely one of the first produced by CZJ in LTM. Pretty sure I bought this one off an RFF member about 10 or 12 years ago.

Found an interesting auction that might tell the history a little further.

1502652.gif

If you look closely it matches your lens. Serial 1.502.652. So just a little later. It is an inverted version of the prototype you have. It is black with white letters. The scale is in feet 3,5 - 60 - inf and it also has the MADE IN GERMANY inscription. Very nice example. Unfortunately it was sold in 2002 and the auction site only took 2 images of this unique lens and put them online. The aperture and focus scale is not visible. What a shame! I suspect that they match your lens.

The auction text mentions that it was delivered to India in the past. So who was so important (or rich) in 1934 India that he can force a protectionist firm like CZJ to manufacture one of the most precious lenses of this time in M39 mount for the concurrent Leica I ?! This had to be a gift to someone.

These were used on the Tenax II dark boxes for filming x-rays of lungs to spot tuberculosis. The Tenax II had their original mounts, rangefinders and shutters removed and a huge film advance was added. As many as a 1000 were made, but I have only seen a couple with their original R-Sonnars. Numbers seen: 2317778 and 2677243.

These were used on the Tenax II dark boxes for filming x-rays of lungs to spot tuberculosis. The Tenax II had their original mounts, rangefinders and shutters removed and a huge film advance was added. As many as a 1000 were made, but I have only seen a couple with their original R-Sonnars. Numbers seen: 2317778 and 2677243.

Thank you for the interesting insight to the R-Sonnar. I have seen those Tenax cameras and Sonnars in the past but I was wondering if those are the RSBK cameras mentioned in some CZJ brochures. A little correction it is 2.517.778. The 3 and 5 can easily be confused. I have to update my documentation now.

Back