Unprecedented look inside Kodak Factory

bluesun267

Well-known
Local time
11:04 AM
I just came across this series of videos the other day and have become totally absorbed in them. It's actually an emotional experience for me to finally see all of this. I don't know of any previous time that the inner workings of the Kodak Plant have been divulged in this kind of detail, much less on video. Waiting on the edge of my seat for Part 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQKy1KJpSVc

There are also additional videos going into more specific elements of film production in the description.

I somehow don’t mind paying film prices now. I live an hour from Rochester and it’s really surreal to see how massive Kodak actually is. In its day it must have been incredible. Literally built a city.

Anyone interested in how film was made at Kodak should check out this book:

http://www.makingkodakfilm.com/

Robert Shanebrook was an engineer at Kodak for many years. I have both editions of the book. The first is a small book with a basic explanation of film manufacture. The second edition is a much larger and more comprehensive book. They're expensive; at $125, the second edition is the most expensive book I have ever bought. It was worth it.

These videos have reinforced something I’ve always pondered. With digital the hi technology is in your hand, sensors, computer, etc. With film the camera can be relatively simple, and the hi technology is in the backroom. It just amazes me that film advanced to the level it did. And yes, maybe a little less complaining on my part about paying for that little roll of single use sensors on a flexible strip of tri-acetate, (or polyester sometimes).

This is really something else. I watched about half the first part. Will make time to watch it all. Very interesting, thanks for sharing the link with us.

Glad to be of service!

Having watched all 3-4 hours now (Parts 1&2 and the extras), here's a few takeaways:

--Film is an exponentially more complex and nuanced technology than I ever imagined. It's basically atomic level nano-tech.

--Photo-chemical imaging is the seed and foundation from which all modern, digital technology rests: Without it there could never have been complex circuit boards, integrated circuits, memory and so on.

--I forgive Film Ferrania for being so slow.

Anyone interested in how film was made at Kodak should check out this book:

http://www.makingkodakfilm.com/

Robert Shanebrook was an engineer at Kodak for many years. I have both editions of the book. The first is a small book with a basic explanation of film manufacture. The second edition is a much larger and more comprehensive book. They're expensive; at $125, the second edition is the most expensive book I have ever bought. It was worth it.

Definitely worth getting. I also have the second, larger, book.

What the engineers, chemists, scientists, and others were able to accomplish at Kodak (and Polaroid as well) is just stunning. The B&W layers of Kodachrome, the complex and elaborate K-14 process, the adding of color couplers to B&W layers is just amazing. I am sure Fuji, Ilford, Agfa and others have amazing stories as well.

Back