ur thoughts of the Fuji 23mm 2.0 vs 1.4

danielsterno

making soup from mud
Local time
6:58 PM
All

New owner of the XT2, went with the 27mm & 23 2.0. Curious of ur thoughts of the 23mm 2.0 vs the 1.4? Thanks in advance

I recently went all-in to Fuji with an X-Pro2 and several Fuji lenses, and I never even considered the 23/1.4 - the 23/2 was my personal halfway tipping point (the 50/2 was the other.) I really like how the slower lens renders, and the WR was a major factor in my decision.

I haven't used the f2, but I've had the f1.4 for a few years, and it's superb. One of my favorite 35mm equivalent lenses and the clutch based MF is super nice to have on a Fuji body. I do shoot wide open a lot though, if I was more an f8 style shooter I'd definitely go the f2 model being smaller, faster, and WR.

I have owned the 23 f 1.4 and it is a fabulous lens, but quite large coming from Summicrons. I currently am using a 27 as my carry about lens with my X Pro 2. The 27 is really a very good lens- but I wish it were wider and faster. My Leica X has a fast and wonderful 23mm "35 FOV" so when I recently took off on a vacation, I chose that camera. For me that is a bit of a problem with the Fuji series. The X100S-F 23 known to be better up close and center than the 23 f2. While I have not used the 23m f2 (so maybe shut my mouth) Fuji need to offer a great 23 f2.

This is Fuji we are talking about... you can't go wrong. 23mm f/2 if size, weight, fast focus, and WR resistance is important... 23mm f/1.4 if one extra stop of speed (not a lot unless you NEED it) and better manual focus implementation is necessary. Both work great for photography.

23/1.4
  • slightly narrower angle of view
  • larger
  • heavier
  • slower AF (the newer the body, the less this is a factor, but it is a factor)
  • AF is noisier
  • blocks more of the OVF (XPro series only)
  • superior optics
  • not weather resistant

• slightly wider angle of view
  • smaller
  • lighter
  • quck AF (the newer the body, the more this is a factor, but it is a factor)
  • AF is smooth and quiet
  • blocks less of the OVF (XPro series only)
  • inferior optics, especially at image edges
  • weather resistant

The 23/1.4 is a general purpose lens. The 23/2 is a reportage lens.

For my work, the difference in edge sharpness and speed is not a concern. The AF and compact for are useful. Others will have different priorities.

I have a X-Pro 2. I sold the 23/1.4 and kept the 23/2.

In my film only days, two of my favorite lenses for general shooting were a 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor that I used on a Nikon SLR and a 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss that I used on a Leica rangefinder. The first lens I purchased for my Fuji X-Pro1 was a 23mm f/1.4 Fujinon.

I recently purchased an X-Pro2 that came with a 23mm f/2 lens. I had planned on evaluating the Pro2 body as a possible replacement for my three X-Pro1 bodies. I also planned on using the f/2 lens as part of a lightweight travel kit. Regretfully, I had to sent the Pro2 and lens back to the seller because the body was defective and the image quality of the lens was not superior to the f/1.4 lens I already owned.

Fuji Travel Kit by Narsuitus, on Flickr

I have both lenses. The 23/1.4 is capable of extraordinary results. Photos done with it have beautiful tonality. My particular lens is not really very sharp at f/1.4 but it's more than acceptable at other apertures. However, the lens is big and it's heavy in comparison to my other Fuji lenses. Used on an X-Pro body, especially when using the optional Fuji lens hood, it will intrude significantly into the OVF frame lines.

The 23/2 is small, light, focuses fast and quietly and is weather resistant. Optically, it's fine but not extraordinary. It's sharp and contrasty but somewhat clinical in its rendering. It's a much more user friendly choice for X-Pro owners who primarily use the OVF (I'm one myself) since it doesn't intrude into the bright lines of the viewfinder.

Personally, the 23/2 is permanently attached to one of my X-Pro1 bodies. Although I like the rendering of the f/1.4 version better, the XP1-23/2 package handles better for me and the resulting photographs look fine. The 23/1.4 sees occasional use on an X-T1 body where it doesn't have to contend with an OVF.

Never tried the 1.4 (though the rendering is Lovely)
But Loved the f2... faaast, clean, beautifully sharp

I chose the 23mm f2.0 and never considered the f1.4.

The 6 ounces less weight of the f2.0makes a constant difference carrying the camera and lens all day.

I have yet to find a lighting situation where the extra stop of the f1.4 was critical.

The reduced DOF of shooting at f1.4 is something I never need shooting a lens of this focal length.

Rendering makes no difference to me as I will simply edit out any photo where the image content does not overwhelm lens characteristics.

Thanks! I committed to the XT2 with the 23 f2 & 27mm(which I really like- reminds me of my x100 from a form standpoint)- worked the XT2 and 23/f2mm (top 2) sat & the 27mm Sunday (bottom 2) below- my problem is getting the raw images into Aperture, which I started a separate thread. here is a few from the weekend as I learn the camera & lens- though these are JPEGS- who needs raw!... thanks all- appreciate the help.

36657754046_7313146934_c.jpg

36308303420_f6b71d056d_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4437/36308303420_f6b71d056d_c.jpg

36634714106_f1e3cf6e8e_c.jpg

35893451223_ed2d36170a_c.jpg

Rendering makes no difference to me as I will simply edit out any photo where the image content does not overwhelm lens characteristics.

A Profound Point to ponder for Pixel Peepers

Thanks, Bob, as always.

Edit: I'm no Pixel Peeper, nevertheless, it's a lesson I've been trying to teach myself for years.

For environmental portraiture I use the 23mm F1.4 for the bokeh. For a walking around lens, I have the 23mm F2 (it came with my X-E3).

Example from 23mm F1.4

26850405_417391115363220_5530088269204044699_o.jpg

Wow Bob Michaels - this belong on the Quote of The Day - we should have on here...
Profound for a "sharpness"perfectionist or Bokeh Hipsters. This ain't me though, but I like the what you said anyway.

Back