Using vintage Nikon and Contax RF lenses on a Leica CL digital

Bingley

Mentor
Local time
1:19 AM
A number of members here, including me, are fans of the little Leica CL digital (alas, now discontinued by Leica). In particular, I’ve enjoyed using Leica M-mount and LTM mount lenses on the CL digital via adapters. I recently obtained an adapter, made by Rayqual in Japan, that mounts external-mount classic Nikon rangefinder and Contax rangefinder lenses on the CL digital (it adapts Nikon SC and Contax rangefinder mount lenses to any L-mount camera; I just happen to have the CL digital). Thus, I can use a Voigtlander Skopar 25mm f4.0 SC lens on the CL digital (doing so gives you an effective focal length of 37mm b/c of the crop factor). Ditto the Nikkor-PC 85mm f2.0 and the Zeiss Sonnar 85mm f2.0. This may be old news to a lot of CL digital fans here; it does open up some interesting possibilities with these vintage Nikkor and Contax lenses.

What I was really pleased to discover about this Rayqual adapter is that it will mount the Zeiss Biogon 35mm f2.8 (the version of this lens from the 1950s). This is one of my favorite vintage 35s, and I’ve loved shooting it on my Contax IIa and Nikon S2 cameras. But, as noted elsewhere on RFF (I looked for the thread but couldn’t find it), there is no adapter, that I’m aware of, that will allow this lens to be used on an M-mount body, bc of the diameter of the rear element. I’ve tried it w/ Amedeo adapters; doesn’t work. But it DOES work on the Rayqual adapter, so this famous and fabulous lens can now be used on an L-mount camera like the CL digital.

So a great travel kit could be a Nikon S2 (or a Contax IIa) and Leica CL digital, using all Nikkor SC or Contax RF external mount lenses. The adapter is for external mount lenses only. If you want to shoot your Nikkor-SC 50mm f1.4 or Opton Sonnar lenses, you’ll need to double up adapters (e.g. SC to M-mount, and then M-mount to L-mount); I haven’t tried that yet to see if it works.

The Head Bartender sells the Rayqual SC to L adapter on the Cameraquest website or you can buy directly from Japan.

Thanks for posting your findings, Bingley.

I wonder if it can mount the Biogon because there’s no rangefinder cam?

I don’t know the answer to that, Miles. The adapter can mount all of the S-mount and Contax RF mount external mount lenses I’ve got, including the Biogon. But the Biogon can’t be mounted on an Amedeo Contax RF to Leica M mount adapter. Would the absence of a rangefinder cam explain that?

I believe that's the case, the rear part of the lens conflicts with the RF cam when used with adapters like the Amedeo.

Does this mean that those lenses can also be mounted on a full frame L mount camera? Even more fun awaits you...

I think these lenses can be mounted on any L mount camera w/ this adapter. However, the Leica SL is large and pricey. The CL, in contrast, is about the same size as a Barnack Leica, so even though it has a crop sensor it’s still a great camera. In June I did a trip from Prague to Berlin, and extensively shot w/ the Voigtlander Ultron 35/2 and the Summicron 50/2 v. III on the CL digital. These lenses worked great! So to be able to use the Biogon 35/2.8 and the Voigtlander lenses for S-mount opens up even more possibilities.

Back