Vertical Line Problem

Vertical Line Problem

• I am using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it does not exist.

Votes: 35 25.0%
  • I am using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem and it exists.

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • I am not using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it does not exist.

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • I am not using my M8 extensively and I check it for the problem but it exists.

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • I have never check my M8 for this problem.

Votes: 23 16.4%

• Total voters
well nick, that post got my *ignore* vote

As I said, flame away, or ignore. That's my opinion of the M8 - agree/disagree/flame/ignore. As I said, be my guest. No other camera manufacturer, I'd argue in history, has "gotten away with" selling a camera with this many issues - and yet? Folks still buy'em. (Shakes head - which should be a "Smilie")

As I said, flame away, or ignore. That's my opinion of the M8 - agree/disagree/flame/ignore. As I said, be my guest. No other camera manufacturer, I'd argue in history, has "gotten away with" selling a camera with this many issues - and yet? Folks still buy'em. (Shakes head - which should be a "Smilie")

I don't know enough facts to compare to other cameras. My last two digitals have been a Nikon D700 and a M9, and they have had aprox the same reliance :p. But this doesnt make a statistical sound representation.

My point is that reading in a forum where we post problems and try to deduce quality from this might not be the most objective way :p.

Im not arguing pro or cons, but even if I had been aware of my current small problems I would have done the same purchase. I even considered to buy a backup M9, but could afford it. I guess one have to try the camera and watch the results to understand this. But all others that doesn't share this "madness" have my full sympathy (living a duller life :D:rolleyes: )

Hi guys. I had the bloody problem on a second hand M8 I recently bought, green vertical line on high isos.. it is never immediately apparent when the sensor is still cold. When I checked the camera, it wasn't evident, then when it was too late, the seller would not return my calls.. Well, there had to be a reason for a low price

Now the good part - Leica store in Moscow fixed mine for free, no sending to Solms, out of warranty, no money, no nothing. Less than a week total. Greetings fly out to Timur the repairman. I was and am astounded ))

Be warned and try your local Leica service centers, they know how to remap the sensor.. ask and you shall receive

Good luck

Stereotypes do not a fact make.

Those of us who own one know. Those of you, who like to regurgitate whatever you cherry-pick which supports your point of view, bring any credibility you may have on other subjects down to cable talking head territory.

Yup, I knew. My M8 went back to the factory 3 times before I sold it. I only owned it for 16 months too. 7 of those months it was at Leica NJ.
I had a classmate who bought an M8 and it had issues apparent on the first day so he sent it back to Tamarkin, got a refund. Same guy turned around and got an M8 from BCC to learn on the 4th day that it had issues so he sent it back and got a refund.
Another friend had an M8 with the problem, had it fixed, it resurfaced in the same place then he sent it to Leica, had it repaired then sold it.
The local shop here in Philly that services Leica sent 3 other M8 bodies in to Leica NJ within 1 week for the same problem.

The same problem exists with the M9 but it's more easily repaired.
My M9 has been to Leica NJ three times as well. Owned it now for 17 months and this time only 7 of those months have been spent out for repair. I've had the vertical line problem twice, a horizontal magenta banding that was intermittent and numerous shutter faults as well. Had the sensor and shutter replaced last time in.
This is the reason that Leica had to allow for an extension of the warranty as of 9/9/11 because there would have been a lot of angry Leica die hards out there having to pay out of pocket for known camera issues.

After that, I still love the camera in spite of it being a pain in the ass. It gives me the best files to work with. That said, I'm used to the reliability of my M4 and M4-P which neither the M8 nor the M9 are or ever will be.

Enjoy.

Phil Forrest

I really feel sorry for folks that spend good hard earned money on cameras that don't work properly.

Have you tried different cards with different capacity?

Hope it works out for you guys.

https://cameraderie.org/threads/leica-m-monochrom.37659/page-37#post-343526

My M Monochrom picked up a dark line about a year ago. I use my own code to process DNG files. One of my projects is to make it more general, let the user make an input file to specify the bad lines. It runs under Windows, batch processes all the files in a directory. I just run it on the SD card.

On my camera, and on many cameras: the lines are not dead. They lose charge passing through a "leaky" pixel. That means the line can be restored.

My M8- 12 years old now, does not have any bad lines.

From what I wrote before:

I found a recent article on restoring pixel values from columns that have been "dragged down" as happened on my camera.

The article does a good job of listing types of "bad Pixels", mine was the first type:
• Linear pixels with false bias: a category where the pixel output behaves linearly with illumination intensity or exposure time, but due to either a low or high bias compared to its neighbours, values displayed by this pixel differs considerably from the ones around it, given an homogeneous illumination;
• Nonlinear pixels: a subset of defect pixels, where the output signal displayed on an image does not relate to the illumination intensity or exposure time in a linear fashion;
• Dead pixels: are those who have very low sensitivity to illumination intensity variations, consistently presenting low grey values;
• Hot pixels: this category is highly sensible to illumination intensity variations, presenting persistent high grey values.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/772/1/012002/pdf

Back