Vince Lupo's Mapping the West

Vince Lupo

Nobody's Mentor
Local time
8:42 AM

Join photographer Vince Lupo at the Leica Store DC Gallery for the opening of his solo photography exhibition, Mapping the West.
This exhibition provides a glimpse into Vince's fascination with the West, particularly New Mexico and Montana:

"Both possess that special quality of light that has inspired artists for centuries. I find personal renewal with each journey there,
and am particularly drawn to the people, the landscape and the backroads."

None of the images are planned or staged. Oftentimes, the juxtaposition of seemingly disconnected elements within a scene can
create tension and contrast, reveal a subtle metaphor, a striking irony, or a conversation among them. Although humans may not
always be included in these photos, their impact is apparent. Vince's role has been to catch these threads that bind these elements
together to present a compelling narrative sometimes humorous, sometimes poignant, other times evoking the old West.

The exhibition runs from September 30th thru November 9th, and the public is invited to attend the opening reception on
Friday September 30th from 7-9pm. There will also be an artist's talk on Sunday October 2nd beginning at 2pm.

Leica Store DC
977 F St. NW
Washington, DC 20004

Congrats, Vince. I will be in DC some time in October on a work related brief visit. I hope that I can go to this show.

sounds very interesting - I would like to see it.
Hope you can take the exhibit to the Leica Store in San Francisco at a later date.

Congratulations, Vince! Don't know as I can make the opening, as I'll be coming back from Indiana that week, but if I make the Photorama show the next day, I'll try to get to the store.

PF

This is awesome, dude! (I just had to use a recently un-banned word) Absolutely love your work.

I'm done with DC for this year. Wish I could attend the opening, or at least visit the store and view the exhibit.

Maybe you'll bring this to the west coast? Leica Store Seattle is my vote.

Many thanks guys -- it's an ongoing project, so hopefully it will present okay. The show only has 15 pieces in it, and they were all chosen by the exhibits coordinator. Interesting when you have someone else do the choosing -- a few photos I would not have considered!

Many thanks guys -- it's an ongoing project, so hopefully it will present okay. The show only has 15 pieces in it, and they were all chosen by the exhibits coordinator. Interesting when you have someone else do the choosing -- a few photos I would not have considered!

Your gallery has so many stellar photos that it would be difficult to choose fifteen. It looks to me like they were selecting to be representative of your work and the location. I think they put together a very good set.

BTW, your Flickr presentation is among the best I've seen. I'm not a fan of that product, but you make it look good. Personally, I think there should be an option to change one's default destination to albums rather than stream.

John

Back