Vintage 3rd Party Lenses for Contax RF

keytarjunkie

no longer addicted
Local time
11:34 AM
I am not an expert in Contax rangefinders, in fact I don't even own one. When I was doing research on vintage 3rd party lenses for Nikon RF mount, I found many interesting ones for Contax along the way, so I decided to start a new thread.

Here is my list so far, but I'm definitely forgetting some. Please help me by adding suggestions below, and if you own one of these lenses or have more information, please share!

Berthiot 28mm f/3.3
Canon CT 28mm f/3.5 (shared with Nikon)

Zunow 35mm f/1.7 (?)
Angénieux 3.5cm f/2.5 (Type R1 retrofocus)
Dr. Rudolph Hugo Meyer 3.5cm f/2.7 Makro Plasmat (prototype)
W. Komura 35mm f/2.8 (?)
W Tanar 35mm f/2.8 (?)
Angénieux 35mm f/3.5
Old Delft Minor 3.5cm f/3.5
Soligor 35mm f/3.5
Berthiot 38mm f/5.7 Olor
Meyer Görlitz 4cm f/4.5 Weitwinkel Doppel Anastigmat (prototype)

Zunow 50mm f/1.1
Hugo Meyer 5cm f/1.5 Kino Plasmat
Voigtländer 5cm f/1.5 Nokton (conversion?)
Meyer Görlitz 5cm f/1.9 Primoplan
Rodenstock 5cm f/1.9 Heligon (prototype?)
Schneider 5cm f/2 Xenon (prototype)
Taylor & Hobson 2in f/2 Cooke Amotal Anastigmat (ported from Bell & Howell Foton)

Dr. Rudolph Hugo Meyer 7.5cm f/1.5 Kino Plasmat (prototype)
Berthiot 75mm f/2.8 Flor
Komura 80mm f/1.8 (?)
Nikkor-S 8.5cm f/1.5
Nikkor-P 8.5cm f/2
Steinheil 85mm f/2.8 Culminon
Angénieux 90mm f/2.5
Berthiot 90mm f/3.5 Flor
Ross 3 1/2" f/3.5 Definex

Zunow 100mm f/2 (?)
Meyer Görlitz 10cm f/2.8 Trioplan
Optimar 100mm f/3.5
Komura 105mm f/2 (?)
Nikkor-P 10.5cm f/2.5
Komura 105mm f/2.8

Acall 135mm f/3.5 (?)
Komura 135mm f/3.5 (?)
Nikkor-Q 13.5cm f/3.5
Soligor 135mm f/3.5 (?)
Tanar 135mm f/3.5
Rodenstock 13.5cm f/4.5 Eurynar

C.P. Goerz 18cm f/4.5 Dogmar
Schneider 18cm f/5.5 Tele-Xenar

I recently picked up a Contax II and am quite enjoying it, despite it's... quirks. Wouldn't say no to a wide angle a bit more predictable than the Jupiter 12, but can I safely assume that everything wider than 50mm in this list is ~£500 on average?

Coldkennels many of the items on the list are rare enough that they scarcely come up for auction, and buy-it-now prices are quite high. But there are a few, like the Komura and Tanar 35mm lenses, that are very good shooters and reasonably priced too. Just look for the C on the rear of the lens mount lock, instead of N (contrary to popular belief, the difference between Nikon and Contax mounts can be seen on wide angles if you look closely). And there is the modern Voigtlander SC Skopar 35mm f/2.5 which is usually around $250-350 used.

(contrary to popular belief, the difference between Nikon and Contax mounts can be seen on wide angles if you look closely).

I can believe that. I've noticed the focus discrepancy on the LTM Jupiter 12 on a Leica often enough to know that Nikon and Contax wides aren't really interchangeable. Maybe I'll keep a look out for the Komura ones, but eBay doesn't show a single listing for a 35mm Komura in Contax mount at the mo - even in the completed listings.

Also, I thought all the VC "Contax" mount lenses were for the Nikon system? That's what it says on the Cameraquest page about them, anyway.

My experience with Nikon 3.5 cm f/2.5 and 2.8 cm f/3.5 has been that DOF will cover focusing discrepancies. I haven't used either of them much wide open and close up where this might be more of a problem. My 21 mm f/4 Voightlander has also been fine, but again, I don't typically use it close up at full aperture. If you have a Contax II, then you can use the pre-war Biogon which often shows up on eBay for the $250-300 range in decent condition. This lens will not fit a post-war IIa or IIIa though.

Ross Definex review
RossDefinex01.jpg

Mine mounted on a Contax I(e)
RossDefinexsm.jpg

And some results from this lens.
BOD180601.jpg

BOD180609.jpg

The only 3rd party lens I have for my Contax iia is the Nikkor P.C 105mm f2.5 It is a nice lens, but really big in comaprison to the Contax. It is not always easy to handhold (need higher shutter speeds). Both shots on ADOX CHS 100 II, HC110

stump by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

White Bird by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Just finished a roll of Tri-X with my 10.5 cm f/2.5 Nikkor and Contax IIIa. I find it a reasonable package to use, but then I'm used to much heavier DSLRs and zoom lenses for my commercial work so this combination feels small and light by comparison.

Just finished a roll of Tri-X with my 10.5 cm f/2.5 Nikkor and Contax IIIa. I find it a reasonable package to use, but then I'm used to much heavier DSLRs and zoom lenses for my commercial work so this combination feels small and light by comparison.

Truth is, even a 135mm f4 Sonnar is a little unwieldy on a Contax rangefinder, but it is significantly smaller (diameter) because it is a slow slower lens. With the 105mm I am really holding the camera with teh lens rather than vice versa. It has been a while since I shot the 135mm, and I think it is a similar situation.

Since I've used a lot of heavier cameras/lenses I don't find the 105 Nikkor or the 135 Sonnar that hard to work with. I also have a 18 cm f/6.3 Tele Tessar that I use on my Contax III which I also find hand holdable. I do shoot with Tri-X, so higher shutter speeds are easier to use than they would be with a slower film, and I mostly shoot on sunny days so light isn't a problem.

I found a new lens I hadn't heard of. Very rare Som Berthiot 28mm f/3.3! From Approximately 1950, I guess this beats the Canon 28mm f/3.5 as the first "fast" "ultra-wide" lens.

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.2 KB ID:	4788785 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l16001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.7 KB ID:	4788786

The only 3rd party lens I have for my Contax iia is the Nikkor P.C 105mm f2.5 It is a nice lens, but really big in comparison to the Contax. It is not always easy to handhold (need higher shutter speeds). ...

Actually that is not true- I have the Voigtlander SC Skopar 21mm f4. The Nikkor is the only "vintage"3rd party lens I have. It would not be unfair to call the Voigtlander "vintage" also, but I consider it a newer lens.

I see there are no Soviet lenses for Contax on the list, maybe they are not considered third party? I recently purchased a Zorki ZK 1:2 f=5cm collapsible lens in Contax mount for $45. A limited batch of these were issued in 1949-50, and according to experts on this forum it has Zeiss glass. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, but I have the same lens in LTM which is quite good. Here is a link to info on Sovietcams, it's the PT3520:

https://mikeeckman.com/sovietcams/i...o=middle&tmpl_id=472&_m_e_id=5&_menu_i_id=460

med_U73354.1653914297.0.jpg

med_U73354.1653914317.0.jpg

I see there are no Soviet lenses for Contax on the list, maybe they are not considered third party? I recently purchased a Zorki ZK 1:2 f=5cm collapsible lens in Contax mount for $45. A limited batch of these were issued in 1949-50, and according to experts on this forum it has Zeiss glass. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, but I have the same lens in LTM which is quite good. Here is a link to info on Sovietcams, it's the PT3520:

https://mikeeckman.com/sovietcams/i...o=middle&tmpl_id=472&_m_e_id=5&_menu_i_id=460

Quite interesting, it looks like the pre-war collapsible Sonnar which is quite hard to find with clean glass, but makes very interesting "vintage looking" images IMO.

I found a new lens I hadn't heard of. Very rare Som Berthiot 28mm f/3.3! From Approximately 1950, I guess this beats the Canon 28mm f/3.5 as the first "fast" "ultra-wide" lens.

What a beautiful lens. I noticed there are two for sale on eBay, both over $5000. I think worth it though - what an amazing rarity.

Back