Visiting Chicago or New York or San Francisco

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
6:48 PM
How safe is it these days to visit such large cities?
Is it wise to leave valuable camera gear at hone?
Any experience?
Thanks.

They are probably fine, as long as you stay alert. NYC is Disneyland, compared to most other big cities in the US, especially where I live in Philadelphia. There are less desirable neighborhoods in every city, so plan your trip and enjoy yourself!

Phil Forrest

Chicago isn't far from me; I've photographed there several times over the years. Chicago is a very large city, and not just in population. It is spread out over an enormous land area and is surrounded by several 'layers' of suburbs that are economically part of the city. Chicago has some of the most violent and deeply impoverished 'ghetto' neighborhoods in the United States. The city also has large middle class neighborhoods where crime is virtually non-existent.

If you stay downtown, crime isn't a problem during the day. The streets are full of people and the police are very visible. I would avoid the city's residential areas unless you're visiting someone who lives in Chicago and can tell you what areas to avoid. The south side and parts of the west side of the city are the most dangerous areas.

chicago-lgb.jpg

Downtown Chicago has some of the most beautiful architecture in the USA. This is the London Guarantee Building, located on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive in downtown Chicago.

chicago3.jpg

There is an active street life downtown, too!

I would skip NYC, except if you want to see FSU culture at Brighton Beach. And just do it in Manhattan. Awesome place on Earth. Because of Helen Hill. Where are many traditional tourist thing.
I liked bus excursions. In Harlem they get splashed by water. I went there with three daughters.

On my previous job I went to Chicago client. Amazing city, not toronto disaster. Super public transit, best waterfront I have seen. It is Tamarkin Camera ground and one of the best digital Leica photographer I ever meet.
I had one day off where and went on streets at my own.
Went to Ukrainian district on subway and then mobile maps navigated me to same name subway but via area called as Phoenix; if I’m not mistaken. Hour or so walk with some empty lots where fences been crashed by cars. Nice booze store in where as well. Simple, but with cider and beer which was keeping my hydration level all day long.
After I quit from crappie job; we went to Chicago with family. We’re staying in clean and quiet hotel, from twenty or so walking distance from subway. It was very close to downtown and it was surprising how run down area was. But we feel ok.

Last time I went frequently to Frisco it was 1998.
If you like seafood by icecold waterfront and climbing on hillls..::

I lived and worked in San Francisco for close to 40 years. Moved north, I won't go into The City now. A once beautiful place has been defaced.

As with most big cities, in Chicago it depends what part of town you're in. But if you stay it touristy areas it's very safe. Obviously you take normal precautions.

If you're thinking of visiting now, I suggest waiting a bit. Lots of things still not open. The beaches, for example. Still restrictions at Millennium Park, and most restaurants are still in take-out mode. Outdoor movies, festivals and such are set to resume later this summer. Overall, though, the city is still missing its normal energy.

John

NYC is a drag at the moment...
So many businesses closed , never to reopen

Today I was down in Soho having to drop off some samples to a client
I was shocked and surprised to see lines of the very Young and hip (giggles)
waiting to shop in the chic boutiques on a sweltering hot day with masks on

It is all rather unfortunate
The economics due to Covid

The HUGE fall ... foid lines, homeless, crime, hate
the extreme of those that have and those that do not
Each day really getting no better

New York to me is unrecognisable...

Chicago is fine. I was out yesterday on the streets M10 in hand. Energy was pretty good yesterday. Riverwalk was packed with people.

I am now focusing on visiting San Francisco with the family. Our daughters have not been yet to California, and this is for them. Dana has been my RFF "model" for all lens tests since she was 3 years old, and she is going to college in the coming fall. It is still too early for a trip to Europe due to COVID-19 restrictions, so the SF visit is meant to somehow provide an alternative visit.

We will stay safe.

I am now focusing on visiting San Francisco with the family. Our daughters have not been yet to California, and this is for them. Dana has been my RFF "model" for all lens tests since she was 3 years old, and she is going to college in the coming fall. It is still too early for a trip to Europe due to COVID-19 restrictions, so the SF visit is meant to somehow provide an alternative visit.

We will stay safe.

PM me when planning. I'll try to help with suggestions.
pkr

Raid,

San Francisco is a wonderful city.

I attended school in San Francisco for the Navy, a long time ago. It was on Treasure Island which the Navy sold and, as I understand, is being developed into residential. I was fortunate to have my car, a 1969 VW bug, and drove it to many places that I photographed.

Take some warm clothes, wear in layers, as it can be chilly, especially at night. Lots of sites to see. Years later, I remember taking my family there walking with them across the Golden Gate bridge with beautiful views especially of the city.

Check out some info on wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco

Raid,

San Francisco is a wonderful city.

I attended school in San Francisco for the Navy, a long time ago. It was on Treasure Island which the Navy sold and, as I understand, is being developed into residential. I was fortunate to have my car, a 1969 VW bug, and drove it to many places that I photographed.

Take some warm clothes, wear in layers, as it can be chilly, especially at night. Lots of sites to see. Years later, I remember taking my family there walking with them across the Golden Gate bridge with beautiful views especially of the city.

Check your out some info on wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco

Hi Bill,

We're likely close in age. I'm an SF native. I lived in the City for many years. I moved out in about 2000 but kept my photo business active in SF until just a few years ago.

I don't want to get political but, both my liberal and conservative friends agree that, SF City government has been corrupt for many years. Vote fraud, missing public funds, unending.

The corruption got way beyond the highly unsafe Cable Car system, etc. Most native's of SF won't go near one. It crept into displacing most middle income workers in around 2000, the first DotCom Boom. My local lab closed and rented their mid-sized building to a DotCom for $46k/month. Most of us left the neighborhood.

It continues to go down hill. City services money is pocketed and, those in need see little to nothing.

TI is now an encampment of former politicians and the Tech people.

There are still many nice places to visit but, you must be careful to avoid areas of The City now.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=b6fab720912642b6aedafdb02a76d2a4

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-p...ntrol-Organized-crime-drives-S-F-16175755.php

My last visit to the SF Bay Area was late 2019. I think if you use a bit of common sense when carrying around $10K+ worth of photo equipment, you'll be fine. When the weather's mild, a stroll around the Embarcadero can be entertaining, though the big photo gallery at Pier 24 still appears to be closed to the public due the pandemic.

Thank you, BIll. Things change over time.

Pete: I may just take with me my two m 4/3 small cameras. I don't need the headache.
Thanks!

I lived in SF back in the 90’s and will move back there at the end of the year. Just know where and when to avoid like everywhere else. I used to be walk around the Tenderloin daily but not these days.

I would avoid all three. Due to business I've been there through the Covid stuff. Homeless, trash, most stores closed and boarded up. There are still places o visit in those states but I would avoid downtown areas. was in Boston last week still pretty nice except for the Hamas / Israel protests.

You can’t visit NYC and have a car so you are stuck with what the city has to offer. I haven’t been in Manhattan in two years but then I could spend two weeks easy. San Francisco to me is really about the access to the Bay Area and beyond. Do the PCH drive, historical Rt49 drive then onto Yosemite, Eastern Sierras, up north there’s Sonoma County, and my favorite Point Reyes. I wouldn’t risk street parking in SF unless you know the area in case your rental has out of state plates so keep that in mind. In tourist areas it’s worth it to use a parking garage. I have travelled through Asia in the worse slums with a Leica around my neck but won’t do that in my own country that’s for sure. I’ll have a Ricoh GR for that.

Back