Visiting Chicago or New York or San Francisco

When I lived in SF back in the 90’s the crimes that are prominently featured in the news and social media now like anti Asian knock out games, car break ins, etc were already happening with the former more likely in Oakland but the press don’t report them or buried them without giving much details. Statistically if such crimes are up by 100% and given such frequency now didn’t the information gate keepers thought it newsworthy back then even if it was a mere half? Surveillance cameras may be Orwellian to some but seems every business and residential front and back door should have one.

I am waiting to see who will be the next mayor of New York. That’ll be interesting.

Excuse me, maybe you can clarify what you mean by this statement?

For better or worse, I read you as saying that rape is not of concern to men. Which I vehemently disagree with. When 1 out of 4 women will be victims of sexual violence in their lives, rape affects all of us.

Not at all, I've been quoting shootings/ gun deaths. Rape statistics are a separate class of data all together, as such they are not related to firearm fatalities. Both violent crimes....but different data sets & no neither are unimportant.

Unfortunately it's an everyday everywhere thing. In my hood (Hayes Valley) many people empty the car completely, leave glovebox opened and put a note inside of window that would read "nothing in the car. please don't break the window." I park my car in a gated garage but still don't leave anything in the car.

Enjoy the city! :) (great move skipping the rental car)

There are signs all over the parking curbs not to leave anything of value inside the car.
I have not seen any police car in this tourist area to look into the multiple car break-ins.

Raid -since it sounds like you're still in town, try heading over to the Exploratorium. It's between Pier 9 and 19 (where Green hits Embarcadero). While it's closed, they have a publicly accessible small bridge between two piers that recreates the SF Fog that goes off every hour and on the hour. Your kids will love the experience and the photos you can get of them (and anyone passing by on the bridge) will be great.

med_U35273I1522303201.SEQ.0.jpg

33181953468_4c54cce91b_b.jpg

(thanks for pulling all that unneeded stuff in this thread)
:cool:

Chicago is not that safe despite what people are saying... Even the Magnificent Mile a whole family was robbed Tues evening a couple of days ago....Most of the bad stuff is in the south and west parts... But crime these days is all over the place and can happen at anytime of day... keep your head on a swivel... I live 30min north of the city took the EL train all the time when I worked downtown... I wouldn't recommend taking it very late... after midnight.... I've done it nothing ever happened to me but you always have to be alert...keep valuables like your phone in your pocket...These days I have ZERO desire to go to the city..I don't work there, just nothing interesting for me to photograh... I'll go for an event or something but that's about it... Proceed at your own risk...

I enjoyed not having to haul around a heavy camera during the brief trip to SF. I switched between two views (50mm and 100mm), and when I needed a wide angle lens I used the phone camera.

I am looking forward to use my Leica M cameras again, though.

Back