Voigtlander M 35/1.2 Nokton photos...

Leica All Day

Mentor
Local time
7:57 AM
Hello everybody....I just bought this lens the other day and I am pretty happy with the results so far. I have never shot with a 35mm focal length lens before and it is starting to grow on me. I am going to go to Laos next week for a photo trip and I plan on taking this lens with me. As for now, I'm carrying it everywhere I go so I can get used to it. Here are a couple of shots that were taken in my neighborhood. I would love to see what others are doing with this lens as well...please excuse the poor scans (local lab)...I am in the process of purchasing a scanner......

cheers, michael

Last edited:
The performance of the lens is good, both for sharpness at the focussed distance and for out-of-focus areas. I assume that the pictures were taken at or near full open aperture. My guess is that you won't part with this lens too soon.

Sorry, I think the title of my post could be a bit misleading....not all of the shots above were taken at 1.2.....I am going to edit the original post now.......cheers, michael....

I use it wide open quite often (one of the main but by no means exclusive reasons to put up with The Beast), especially on the M8 when I'm trying to eek out every last bit of light to avoid the dreaded banding of high iso shots in dim lit interiors. On film it produces a distinctively elegant softness with smooth transitions and inimitable depth of field effects.

Michael, what is your general lens since you say you never shot w the 35?

Good question...well, for the last 3 months since I came back from the states, I have been shooting mostly with a 50mm Summicron rigid (thanks to MikeL)...but that doesn't really count...

For the last 7-9 years I have been shooting with a CV 15mm, 28mm Elmarit v3, 50mm Summilux v1 and an old version of the 90mm Summicron... I never really felt the need for a 35mm focal length lens... but a local store had a couple of these lenses (35mm 1.2) in chrome for about $720 and I had been thinking about purchasing one for the last 2 months... Well, the other day I asked how many they had left in stock, and he said one... so, I figured what the heck... I am never going to be able to buy a brand new one for this price, so I bought it... Everything in Bangkok that concerns Leica (or rangefinder gear) is more expensive than back in the states... with this one lens being the exception... It is a big lens, but it's still smaller than my 90mm Summicron, and it fits good in my hands... that said, I usually buy Leica lenses if I can, but since Leica doesn't make such a lens and it is sort of a specialty lens, I figured why not... cheers, Michael

Last edited:
800px-081102-FUJI-proplusII-036-web.jpg

800px-081102-FUJI-proplusII-033-web.jpg

heres mine all on wide open,

Michael, buck pago, nice shots from both of you !!

About the 35/1.2 ... How big is the difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 in practical use ? When comparing to one of the small 35/1.4 lenses out there (35mm Summilux pre-ASPH, CV 35/1.4 MC & SC), does the advantage of having f/1.2 justify for the larger size and weight of the 35/1.2 ?

About the 35/1.2 ... How big is the difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 in practical use ? When comparing to one of the small 35/1.4 lenses out there (35mm Summilux pre-ASPH, CV 35/1.4 MC & SC), does the advantage of having f/1.2 justify for the larger size and weight of the 35/1.2 ?

I think in this particular case of CV 35/1.2, its not just advantage of 1.2 vs 1.4, but rather the signature of this particular lens. I dont know any other lens that draws quite like it. Plus, yes - in some cases it does make a difference - here in caves it did to me:
2594206196_5dcce5f9f5_o.jpg

2594206112_f172785ca2_o.jpg

2593519022_b66c8ae3f6_o.jpg

Hello Gabor, and thanks for the compliment.....I am probably not the right person to answer this question because I have never had a small 35mm lens before...but one of the main reasons that I bought this lens is along the lines of what Krosya said about its look (signature)....and the fact that I wanted a fast lens...that said, as far as how I shoot and my style is concerned, will 1.2 make a difference to me instead of 1.4, probably not.....but I am going to try to use this lens to create some images that my other lenses wont allow me to do, I think that is one of the main reasons for me buying this lens...that and the fact that I wanted to try a 35mm focal length to see what I am missing.......and it was at a good price ....I guess when I add it all up....I blame it on GAS...cheers, michael

Your pictures have really gotten me on a real hunger for this lens too!
Price and size have somewhat thrown me off and made me look at the Canon 1.2, but after looking at your photos i'm really taking a liking to this lens.
It renders portraits beautifully at both 1.2 and 1.4

Forget size concerns, i'm definitely gunning for this one now!

P.s. - Bokeh signature reminds me of my own M-hexanon f2 (which i love) , but of course at f2, how is it ever enough?!

Last edited:
I love the shots, shallow depth of field with a 35mm = perfect for me. this looks like a great lens and its a relative bargain, shame its so big. lovely looking subject, you're lucky she poses for photos mine hate me taking her picture :(

i've had this lens for almost a year now and it hardly ever leaves my m7. its an incredible lens for the price.
some shots at f/1.2:

2874532193_fd415905dc.jpg

2684404553_e925f201b0.jpg

3233224057_4ee02de2c5.jpg

3437415695_f6faa9f5eb.jpg

beautiful shots! perfect way to convince everyone to go out and buy this lens!

although i take the 35/1.7 Ultron out more for everyday shooting, the 35/1.2 Nokton come out when ever i plan on staying out late :eek:)

a few more to help people decide that they need this lens hehe

Back