Voigtlander 50/2 Collapsible Heliar

Voigtlander 50mm f2.0 Heliar Classic VM lens Silver (Limited Edition) , Sony A7III
Yokohama, Japan - April 2018

DSC00575.JPG

Mike

I find this lens a bit of an enigma. I bought it because I wanted a modern collapsible for walkabout purposes, expecting performance much like my other Voigtlander lenses. Instead what I’ve got, my copy at least, is a lens that behaves much like a 1950s lens but with modern coatings etc. It’s probably the softest overall 50mm that I own, only getting to its best at f8/11, and even there not perfect at the edges. It does however have a lovely “calm” quality about it, probably because it’s not got the modern bite, and mechanically I love it. So I use it far more than I should and won’t be selling it anytime soon.

I find this lens a bit of an enigma. I bought it because I wanted a modern collapsible for walkabout purposes, expecting performance much like my other Voigtlander lenses. Instead what I’ve got, my copy at least, is a lens that behaves much like a 1950s lens but with modern coatings etc. It’s probably the softest overall 50mm that I own, only getting to its best at f8/11, and even there not perfect at the edges. It does however have a lovely “calm” quality about it, probably because it’s not got the modern bite, and mechanically I love it. So I use it far more than I should and won’t be selling it anytime soon.

I can't agree with what you say about "bite". Maybe this depends on what you're used to. Maybe there is a problem with the extension mechanism of yours. Mine had a problem with this when I got it. It took me some time to repair it. The lenshead must be locked very tight to the focusing mechanism. No play or wobble is permitted. The same is true for the collapsible Leica lenses of course.

Erik.

As I already said there are many good photos in this thread. But I'm a little confused about this lens and the various version therefore I have a question.

Is the Voigtlander 50mm f/2 Nickel Heliar Leica Screw Mount "2009 -- 50th Anniversary of Cosina and 10th Anniversary of Cosina Voigtlander Limited Edition" different from the lens Mike and Erik are using and discussed in this thread?

Probably yes, because the Anniversary lens is not collapsible and from what Erik writes the one he uses is.

But I'm interested to know if this is the only difference and the "optic scheme" is the same or not. According to this note it should be the same scheme but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

robert

PS : the lens I refer is on the Camera Quest website among the other 50s middle page but I cannot supply a direct link to the lens.

I think optically it is exactly the same lens. In M-mount 800 were produced in chrome and 1700 in black paint as part of the Voigtlander 250th Anniversary R2M or R3M sets. 600 pieces were made later in a nickel coloured non collapsible LTM-lens. It makes no sense to design a lens and then making only 2.500 copies of it and start all over again when later the decision is made to produce another 600.

I guess that the LTM version in nickel is not a brass lens but an aluminium one with some nickel colour on it. Examples that were used a lot look awful. True nickel on brass lenses, like the old Elmars from Leitz, look much nicer when worn.

The black M-mount version is black paint, but not over brass like the Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5. It is however much heavier than the LTM-version, almost as heavy as a Summicron rigid. Apart from the shiny bayonet for the shade it is a very nice looking lens. Great performer too.

Erik.

Mine is the silver collapsible M-mount one and the fit-feel-finish is fantastic; it's built like a cosina made Zeiss lens.

Voigtlander 50mm f2.0 Heliar Classic VM lens Silver (Limited Edition) , Sony A7III

DSC00604.JPG

DSC00585.JPG

Mike

Thanbks Erik for your answer, which makes sense.

I have the LTM nickel but do not use it very much, maybe I should use more! It was originally bought to be used on my Bessa R

U3692I1327355160.SEQ.0.jpg

Here a portrait of my wife I took years ago ...

U3692I1275503294.SEQ.0.jpg

...with the Heliar on the M7 on Kodak Ektar later converted in B&W

and this is again with the M7 and Cinestill 50 film

U3692I1437131211.SEQ.1.jpg

robert

^ Very nice, Robert, please share more images if you can.

These 3 shots were taken at f2.0

DSC00689.JPG

DSC00690.JPG

DSC00693.JPG

Mike

Fashion shoot, photographer on fire escape. Downtown Yakima Washington.
U77I1461993372.SEQ.1.jpg

f/4.8 with Heliar Classic collapsible

Victorian Sundown
U77I1447562293.SEQ.1.jpg

f/4 with Heliar Classic collapsible

The bull calmly presides over togetherness at the pavilion plaza
U77I1447468226.SEQ.2.jpg

f/6.7 with Heliar Classic collapsible

Evening on Front Street, Lahaina, West Maui Hawaii
U77I1312526194.SEQ.0.jpg

f/2.0 with Heliar Classic collapsible

^Great shots, Doug, if you have more please share them.

DSC00618.JPG

DSC00684.JPG

DSC00687.JPG

Mike

I guess that the LTM version in nickel is not a brass lens but an aluminium one with some nickel colour on it. Examples that were used a lot look awful. True nickel on brass lenses, like the old Elmars from Leitz, look much nicer when worn.

Erik.

I have never seen a nickel Heliar 50mm 2.0 that was used a lot, and subsequently 'looked awful'. Picture please???

And I am certain it is a brass lens, it's pretty heavy. Just weighed mine, it is 194 grammes naked, no hood or caps. For reference, my early 1950s Jupiter-8 is aluminium for sure, and it is 116 grammes naked.

Maybe the Japanese aluminium is a lot heavier than the Russian metal, Erik?

I have never seen a nickel Heliar 50mm 2.0 that was used a lot, and subsequently 'looked awful'. Picture please???

And I am certain it is a brass lens, it's pretty heavy. Just weighed mine, it is 194 grammes naked, no hood or caps. For reference, my early 1950s Jupiter-8 is aluminium for sure, and it is 116 grammes naked.

Johan, the black lens weights 261 grammes, Leica 12550 shade (5g) included.

I've seen on the internet some heavy used examples of the nickel lens, they didn't look nice.

When I see one again, I'll post it here.

Here you go:

s-l1600.jpg

Erik.

^Great shots, Doug, if you have more please share them.
Mike
Thanks Mike! I do have others, as I like this lens.

Date Tonight...
U77I1361598430.SEQ.0.jpg

M9, Heliar at f/5.6

Sax at sunset, Lahaina waterfront, Maui
U77I1312609778.SEQ.0.jpg

M8, Heliar at f/3.5, 1/8 sec.

Gallery owner Monique with the strong French accent
U77I1312350918.SEQ.0.jpg

M8, Heliar at f/2.8

Tourists in a Lahaina jewelry store, Pops opts out...
U77I1312262798.SEQ.0.jpg

M8, Heliar at f/2.4

...And I am certain it is a brass lens, it's pretty heavy. Just weighed mine, it is 194 grammes naked, no hood or caps. For reference, my early 1950s Jupiter-8 is aluminium for sure, and it is 116 grammes naked.

Johan, the black lens weights 261 grammes, Leica 12550 shade (5g) included.

I have both versions of the f/2 Heliar... The specs have the collapsible M-mount one at 260g and the nickel LTM one at 191g. And the f/2.5 Color Skopar is 208g for comparison.

I have both versions of the f/2 Heliar... The specs have the collapsible M-mount one at 260g and the nickel LTM one at 191g. And the f/2.5 Color Skopar is 208g for comparison.

Doug, don't you think that the "nickel" Heliar is painted? On the picture above it looks painted, not plated. If the lens was brass, it would be much heavier. When it was nickel plated on brass, the lens would be more like a nickel Summar.

Erik.

This may or may not be of much help. Per the Voightlander Archives page

http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/archives/Limited.pdf

Translated
HELIAR 50mm F2 <Limited>
The Heliar 50mm F2 was released in 2006 exclusively
The lens that was set in the 250th anniversary model
The lens barrel design from the retractable type to the rigid type while
It is completely new. A model using nickel plating for the overall finish
It is 5 pieces of 3 groups invented in the original heliar
The latest ultra-high refractive index glass while utilizing the lens configuration of
F2.8 was considered to be the limit in the conventional design by adopting
The open F-number is raised to F2.0.
Metal hood is included.

Specification
Focal length: 50 mm
Aperture ratio:1: 2.0
Minimum aperture:F16
Lens configuration: 5 in 3 groups
Angle of view: 46
Number of aperture blades: 11 sheets
Minimum shooting distance: 1 m
Rangefinder interlocking range: ~ 1 m
Filter size φ 39 mm
Maximum diameter Overall length: φ 47.0 37.5 mm (except for lever and hood)
Weight: 191 g (excluding hood)
Lens hood: Standard hood included
Mount : L mount

Doug, don't you think that the "nickel" Heliar is painted? On the picture above it looks painted, not plated. If the lens was brass, it would be much heavier. When it was nickel plated on brass, the lens would be more like a nickel Summar.

Erik.
Hi Erik... I just got out the lens to hold and refresh my memory. It's a small lens, and feels too heavy to be mainly aluminum. Moving the focus lever to extend the helical, the barrel has a brass color in the revealed extension "gap". Odd that it is ~70g lighter in weight than the collapsible version, but perhaps that extra weight is in the barrel support and locking.

As to the finish, Nickel is softer than Chromium...

The Cameraquest website points out that the Heliar type lenses have been more suited to formats larger than 35mm and of modest aperture. Also that the symmetrical 2-1-2 formula is well-suited to macro lenses. This Cosina-made pair represents the fastest Heliars ever made.

Back