Voigtlander FE 35/2 APO, M 35/2 APO, M 35/2 Ultron II's SHIPPING

It makes sense to get the CV 50/2 APO and also the 35/2 APO for a Dream Team lens set.

It makes sense to get the CV 50/2 APO and also the 35/2 APO for a Dream Team lens set.

been thinking the same. but in case of Voigtländer am little wary. do they release second version in just few years, undermining this first gen?

I am usually content with the first version lenses. I have the original CV Heliar 50/2 and 50/3.5.
The Nickel version may look nicer, but these lenses are not optically superior.

Frankly, I'm baffled. $150 more compared to the v.1 just for the privilege of having a feet + meters scale? The lens formulas are identical.

With returning to normal, classic, compact RF lens design this lens is directly aimed at 35 ASPH Cron. Which is 3.7K USD.
For many it means they could enter RF big time with used M240 and this new Ultron and still been paying less than 35 ASPH Cron.
While greedy Leica peed on its own shoe by ending Summarit-M line.

I don’t think these lenses are, or will, collector’s items.

agreed. I was refering Voigtländers tendency to deliver small incremental improvements just few years apart (in still quite expensive products).

if I would buy both APO's 50 and 35 now, would like to "be done with it" for next decade and preferably longer.

re: APO, isn't that 'Magic' best used with digital...comes to Life with pixels !
Does it not lose it's strength potency on film, or am I wrong on that ?

yes I shoot digi, but slowing down, just bought lots of film, giggles :D

The APO's are designed with the thickness of the glass in front of the sensor in mind and therefore the two mounts are optically different.
C/V does not recommend using the M mount APO on Sony with adapter for example - These APO's are not designed with film in mind.
Whether they perform outstanding on film is just speculations at this point.

With returning to normal, classic, compact RF lens design this lens is directly aimed at 35 ASPH Cron. Which is 3.7K USD.
For many it means they could enter RF big time with used M240 and this new Ultron and still been paying less than 35 ASPH Cron.
While greedy Leica peed on its own shoe by ending Summarit-M line.

I like the visual.

In any event, the luxury marketing people run the show at Leica where the M is concerned. “Lifestyle”. So you get your $8300 35 APO, that whilst smaller and likely superior to the CV in certain attributes, is most definitely not 8x better in its performance. The timing of the shift to luxury lifestyle accessory could not have come at a worse moment in time. Bad luck. This was one of the reasons Erwin Puts parted company with Wetzlar.

The timing of the shift to luxury lifestyle accessory could not have come at a worse moment in time. Bad luck. This was one of the reasons Erwin Puts parted company with Wetzlar.

Are you saying that the switch to a luxury focused brand has been bad for Leica as a company? And are you saying Erwin Puts worked for Leica?

No. The seemingly endless Covid crisis, the economic impact and absence of travel have a lasting impact

As for Erwin, he’s best seen nowadays as an ‘influencer’. As such, he wrote technical pieces for Leica over the years in addition to his own work.

I like the visual.

In any event, the luxury marketing people run the show at Leica where the M is concerned. “Lifestyle”. So you get your $8300 35 APO, that whilst smaller and likely superior to the CV in certain attributes, is most definitely not 8x better in its performance. The timing of the shift to luxury lifestyle accessory could not have come at a worse moment in time. Bad luck. This was one of the reasons Erwin Puts parted company with Wetzlar.

I agree. "Made in Germany" is the gold now. Might be still somewhat practical for some with tax write off and insurance. But how many professionals are willing to deal with Leica service now? And where. Leica Camera AG not even exist in G7 country like Canada. Canon makes 2K-3K USD lenses, but service is within same region. With status of repair updated on-line.

As for APO, it is not something new for Cosina Viogtlander and many others. Cosina makes no big deal price wise on it.

The V2 has a brass barrel and tab, the v1 is aluminium.

bingo

plus the black paint lenses will brass out nicely with wear

a beautiful classic look

Cosina wants to offer customers choices

the same optics in the customers choice of 3 different lens barrels to better suit their own preferences

These APO's are not designed with film in mind.

The few test shots I took on T-Max 400 with the VM 50 APO came out pretty good.

I was checking to see if an old bag of XTOL was still good, so nothing fancy, but also nothing to indicate that film is going to present any specific challenge for the lens.

The few test shots I took on T-Max 400 with the VM 50 APO came out pretty good.

I was checking to see if an old bag of XTOL was still good, so nothing fancy, but also nothing to indicate that film is going to present any specific challenge for the lens.

?? We are talking about 35mm APO, so like I said, just speculations. And it doesn’t change the fact that they are designed with 2 different thicknesses of sensor glass in mind, not film. Digital is where they are designed to excel.

Ahh sorry, I saw some comments about both 35 and 50 APOs above and misinterpreted your comment. No doubt these lenses are obviously designed for digital - there's not even an FE mount film camera.

The APO's are designed with the thickness of the glass in front of the sensor in mind and therefore the two mounts are optically different.
C/V does not recommend using the M mount APO on Sony with adapter for example - These APO's are not designed with film in mind.

well I Thank You 'nitroplait'
for your observations
and fully agree ...
It puts this APO more in 'focus'

Cheers ~

??

Helen is never wrong.

Sometimes she is just off course a bit ....

ha, some Truth to that indeed... Thank You Stephen

The Beauty of 'Glass' (Apo or no Apo)
and Light can makes this World seem more Mysterious & Beautiful

look forward to the Photos taken with these new lenses...

?? We are talking about 35mm APO, so like I said, just speculations. And it doesn’t change the fact that they are designed with 2 different thicknesses of sensor glass in mind, not film. Digital is where they are designed to excel.

x2 ?? What APO has to do with BW?

The lens which I bet to be cool on BW film is new CV 35/2.

:)

Back