Voigtlander Ultron 35mm F2 Aspherical Images

M2, Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f2 II, Tri-x

52262304679_448e778e58_b.jpg

Both 35mm Ultron f/2 versions have the same lens formula, but v. II is slightly heavier (brass), has a dual distance scale, and has a traditional tab.

Although I like the performance of my v. 1, I've not been particularly happy with its handling. Does anyone think it would be worth the "upgrade" cost (about $250) from v.1 to v. II?

Both 35mm Ultron f/2 versions have the same lens formula, but v. II is slightly heavier (brass), has a dual distance scale, and has a traditional tab.

Although I like the performance of my v. 1, I've not been particularly happy with its handling. Does anyone think it would be worth the "upgrade" cost (about $250) from v.1 to v. II?

It really just comes down to personal preference. As you say, optical performance is identical between the two versions, so...
- Do you want feet on the distance scale?
- Do you prefer a tab to a stick?
- Is $250 a significant about of money to you?

Personally I'm perfectly happy with the v1, but I'm not you :)

It really just comes down to personal preference. As you say, optical performance is identical between the two versions, so...
- Do you want feet on the distance scale?
- Do you prefer a tab to a stick?
- Is $250 a significant about of money to you?

Personally I'm perfectly happy with the v1, but I'm not you :)
I know I wasn't particularly clear, but what I really want to know is: has anyone made the "upgrade" from v. 1 to v. II and are you satisfied with the change given the cost to do so?

My Ultron 35 is version 1 with the focusing stick. I’m ok w/ it and have no intention of replacing it w/ version 2.

I know I wasn't particularly clear, but what I really want to know is: has anyone made the "upgrade" from v. 1 to v. II and are you satisfied with the change given the cost to do so?

I had a version 1. Sold it. Got the version 2. I liked the overall aesthetic of the v1 - I thought it looked very nice. In hindsight, I really didn't mind the focusing stick...but I convinced myself that I'd like the tab more. The v2 felt much nicer in hand (black paint on brass is v classy...the chromed aluminum accents on the 1 seemed soft/dentable), but it always struck me as a barrel design that was a retro-fit (for all I know Cosina always planned on making a version 2 rather than releasing it as reaction to the complaints about the focus stick on the version one...it just looks like they tried to redesign the barrel as an after thought...the proportions of it aren't pleasing to my eye...I know that's being nit-picky). If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have just stuck with the v1. The v2 does feel very, very nice though...

I ended up selling the v2 to buy a LLL 8-element. It's slightly smaller, with slightly better build quality (at least at first glance...we'll see how it holds up). That being said, the Ultron is sharper at all apertures.

It's a great little lens,good build quality and superb optics, with rendering that just avoids looking too modern. Highly recommended

... I ended up selling the v2 to buy a LLL 8-element. It's slightly smaller, with slightly better build quality (at least at first glance...we'll see how it holds up). That being said, the Ultron is sharper at all apertures.
Ironically, I've been eyeing the LLL 8-element for some time. I just can't bring myself to buy it (reported copy variations and QC issues). IMHO, they're trying to get too much money for it.

I have decided to purchase the v. II Ultron to replace my v. 1 copy. I believe the handling and weight of the v. II will be more to my liking.

Ironically, I've been eyeing the LLL 8-element for some time. I just can't bring myself to buy it (reported copy variations and QC issues). IMHO, they're trying to get too much money for it.

I have decided to purchase the v. II Ultron to replace my v. 1 copy. I believe the handling and weight of the v. II will be more to my liking.

I bet you’ll enjoy the V2. It’s a very nice lens.

I also understand your point about the LLL. I’d been eyeing it for a while…but it’s a fair chunk of change. Thankfully, a local store (Blue Moon Camera) is stocking them, so I was able to hold it in hand before making the purchase (and have the freedom to return it if anything goes wrong).

So I've had the version 1 Ultron 35mm f2.0 since late 2019 and have taken hundreds of photos w/ it, but all on a digital camera. At the end of June, I took advantage of a nearby classic car show to put the lens on my new to me M6 classic, and load up some Kodak Color Plus 200. Here are a couple results:

Vintage by Steve Macfarlane, on Flickr

Vintage by Steve Macfarlane, on Flickr

Back