W/NW: Cambodia

Angkor Thom, Cambodia. Dec 2014

Angkor Thom, Cambodia. Dec 2014

U776I1426112367.SEQ.0.jpg

Pacco I remember these from your flickr, and that I had chosen most as favorites :) great the boat shot, and very good portraits

the central market in Phnom Phen, or Phsar Thom Thmei, a stunning colonial Art Deco building:
5023167418_8186f83853_z.jpg

5022559031_68c93b6a6f_z.jpg

selling inside is all kind of bling bling
5024123246_2155984a1d_b.jpg

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr

Thanks to the guys from L'Atelier Argentique, I finally found a darkroom in Phnom Penh. This allowed me to start film photograph again and print selected pictures.

On the way to Koh Dach ("Silk Island"), an island in the Mekong River near Phnom Penh:

Ferry ride by Pacco Racco, on Flickr

A "selfie" in one of the many restaurants at the riverside of Phnom Penh:

Restaurant windows selfie by Pacco Racco, on Flickr

Just completed a 10-day trip to Cambodia - Phnom Penh and Siem Reap primarily with a day trip to seaside Sihanoukville. What an amazing country and beautiful people. I will be posting photos over time.

This is probably my favorite and happened within seconds:

I grabbed this shot very quickly as we were leaving the Ta Prohm Temple at Angkor Wat. My phone battery was depleted, the sun was setting quickly, and I didn’t want to miss the shot.

I asked my lady friend to pass me her Samsung Galaxy and captured this. One of the many sentry/guard statues which adorn the roadway on both sides as you approach the 4-Buddha faced gate tower.

Sentry/Guard at Ta Prohm Temple Gate, Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia by rdc154, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank you OTL. Unfortunately, I am still working and can’t leave for long extended periods but may work on my manger and coax him to let me do a working vacation next year for an extended stay. I’m fortunate that my work is cloud-based.

I hope you'll succeed. Internet speed should not be a concern since it's blazing fast in SE Asia, and at a fraction of the cost in North America. Cheers, OtL

I hope you'll succeed. Internet speed should not be a concern since it's blazing fast in SE Asia, and at a fraction of the cost in North America. Cheers, OtL

Thanks OTL. Yes I found that true, and the cost of living is very reasonable. I was very comfortable in Cambodia. But the driving... ...not so much! I left that to my lady friend. I am still processing it lol :) but I got in my Tuk-Tuk rides with her and a 6-hour bus ride from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. Got to see a lot of the country side. That was a nice experience.

This one is about 400km out from Phnom Penh on my connecting flight from Seoul. Not sure where this is.

On the way - from Seoul to Phnom Penh by rdc154, on Flickr

She had this little springy bobble-doll on her dashboard.

As we traversed the traffic, congestion, and streets of Phnom Penh, it gave me comfort and kept me entertained as we avoided numerous collisions and had some near misses. I was in sensory-overload and was trying to process what I was seeing and experiencing. I have never experienced traffic like that before - vehicles buzzing in-and-out and around from all directions with no sense of lane or pattern. But it was cool!

What is fascinating, is that there is a sort of hive-mind vibe in the driving over there; people making up their own lanes; getting into your path; cutting-in, nudging into your lane; but it was all OK and acceptable. And more fascinating; no accidents or road rage! Everyone there were very respectful to each other. A formality, politeness, and respect I find endearing in Asian cultures. That would not happen here in Boston. :)

Smile by rdc154, on Flickr

The traffic is manic but most road users have a live and let live attitude. In Saigon, it doesn't make much sense to buy a car since you'll never get out of second gear, and you can't park it anywhere. The way to go around is by scooter. If you plan to stay longer, I'd recommend getting a license in the USA and converting it into a Cambodian one in PP. Cheers, OtL

Back