W/NW: Cambodia

Thanks OTL, I love those little scooters. I noticed a heavy predominance of Toyota and Lexus vehicles also. When we drove the new toll expressway from PP to Sihanoukville on a Sunday, it reminded me of the early days of our interstate system here in the USA and families going out for a Sunday drive to the beach. Simpler times...

Approaching Storm, Preah Sihanouk Province (Sihanoukville), Cambodia by rdc154, on Flickr

Approaching Storm, Boat, Preah Sihanouk Province (Sihanoukville), Cambodia by rdc154, on Flickr

Ta Prohm Temple at the Angkor Wat Temple complex. Known for its trees overgrowing the temple ruins:

The trees growing out of the ruins are perhaps the most distinctive feature of Ta Prohm, and "have prompted more writers to descriptive excess than any other feature of Angkor."[SUP][6][/SUP] Two species predominate, but sources disagree on their identification: the larger is either the silk-cotton tree (Ceiba pentandra) or thitpok Tetrameles nudiflora,[SUP][11][/SUP] and the smaller is either the strangler fig (Ficus gibbosa).[SUP][12][/SUP] or gold apple (Diospyros decandra).[SUP][11][/SUP] Angkor scholar Maurice Glaize observed, "On every side, in fantastic over-scale, the trunks of the silk-cotton trees soar skywards under a shadowy green canopy, their long spreading skirts trailing the ground and their endless roots coiling more like reptiles than plants."[SUP][13][/SUP]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta_Prohm

Tree, Ta Prohm Temple, Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia by rdc154, on Flickr

Wonderful pictures. Goes to show the limits of power and empire. Both the 9th Century Borobudur and 12th Century Angkor Wat were covered by jungle canopy for centuries before being 're-discovered' by European explorers.

Beautiful detail picture, thanks for the amazing tour. I like the wall engraving. What's the size of the balustrade?

Thank you very much! I would guess they are about 4 feet tall. There were so many located throughout the temple.

You have some great shots in your RFF Gallery.

In Phnom Penh again for 23-days.

Accompanied my fiancΓ© to the bridal shop. I am really intrigued by the beauty and tastefulness of their traditional dress.

F76A6128-D08A-45C1-9A59-E03AE9110F13.jpeg

Phnom Penh is a beautiful city and slowly turning into a playground for westerners suspiciously men travelling alone hanging out by riverside bars. The first time we traveled to Siem Reap our driver was talking about an American friend named Mr. Denny an NGO rep helping villagers install wells for clean water. He was saying with fondness how kind he was to the local children. Mr Denny had a gated residence in the village and he placed candy on the ground leading up to his door. It’s so sad Mr, Denny is not coming back, our driver said ruefully. We looked at each other with like WTF! Back in the hotel I did a search and some American pedo named Dennis was arrested for multiple counts of sexual abuse.

Back