Image is lower resolution than original​

A beautiful Volvo
When did chrome trim become a thing of the past?​
DSCF8294.jpg

Fujifilm X-H1, Fujinon 23mm f1.4 lens
Astia film simulation
Kurihama, Japan - April 2023
I knew a guy who owned one of those P1800ES models, his was red. It's the sort of car that really stands out in a sea of today's vehicles.

I would guess that the once commonly found chromed metal trim became a thing of the past sometime after 1974, when safety regulations pretty much did away with metal bumpers. Though the plastic bumper covers that followed allowed designers quite a bit more leeway, my favorite vehicle designs are almost always from the metal bumper era as automotive designers have had to contend with many other restrictions since the mid-70's. Thus I subconsciously tend to break cars down into metal bumper era or post-metal bumper era groups. While there have been plenty of beautiful cars created after 1974, for me personally the most attractive car designs all came to be before 1974. Don't get me wrong, I can't help but appreciate cars becoming safer overall. Yet given the regulations that today's designers must contend with there simply are no more cars being made today that strike me as truly timeless designs. This is a big reason why I appreciate so many of the images that you've shared here over the years Mike.

I knew a guy who owned one of those P1800ES models, his was red. It's the sort of car that really stands out in a sea of today's vehicles.

I would guess that the once commonly found chromed metal trim became a thing of the past sometime after 1974, when safety regulations pretty much did away with metal bumpers. Though the plastic bumper covers that followed allowed designers quite a bit more leeway, my favorite vehicle designs are almost always from the metal bumper era as automotive designers have had to contend with many other restrictions since the mid-70's. Thus I subconsciously tend to break cars down into metal bumper era or post-metal bumper era groups. While there have been plenty of beautiful cars created after 1974, for me personally the most attractive car designs all came to be before 1974. Don't get me wrong, I can't help but appreciate cars becoming safer overall. Yet given the regulations that today's designers must contend with there simply are no more cars being made today that strike me as truly timeless designs. This is a big reason why I appreciate so many of the images that you've shared here over the years Mike.

Thank you, Guth, and I appreciate your thoughts on the beauty and demise of chrome.

All the best,
Mike

Morris Minor Traveller​
DSCF8238.jpg

Fujifilm X-H1, Fujinon XF 23mm f1.4 lens
Astia film simulation
Kurihama, Japan - April 2023

Beautiful VW Convertible.
I just wonder, if it's the beetle with the so called "Pretzl window" or the oval window. Btw, the exhaust looks interesting.

Beautiful VW Convertible.
I just wonder, if it's the beetle with the so called "Pretzl window" or the oval window. Btw, the exhaust looks interesting.

The license plate on that Bug indicates that it's a '57, which places it in the oval category. Ovals were made from '53 to '57. The split or "pretzl" windows came before the ovals, up to '52.

Here's a hot rod '52 (notice the semaphore turn signal on the b-pillar):
_GM18372.jpg

Cellphone photo Nevada desert.

Attachments

• 82810B00-ECC6-43D6-9886-5AE451F93220.jpeg
    82810B00-ECC6-43D6-9886-5AE451F93220.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2A3FA1E2-42A4-4195-A62A-B0EE593E6F26.jpeg
    2A3FA1E2-42A4-4195-A62A-B0EE593E6F26.jpeg
    518.6 KB · Views: 13
I'm interested in seeing images of automobiles that could be described as: Classic, Vintage, Collectible, Rare, Restored...
The Vehicles (Cars, Trucks, Vans...) don't have to be pristine museum pieces but they should be road worthy and drivable.
Please, no clunkers or cars abandoned in somebody's backyard or out in the woods to rot.

Thank you,
Mike

Just a reminder to everyone :) A repost of Post number 1.

All the best,
Mike

Last edited:
I've never heard of a Wolseley before, it's the first time for me to see one of these.

1968 Wolseley Hornet MKIII​
DSC09496.jpg

DSC09497.jpg

DSC09498.jpg

Sony A7III, Voigtländer 50mm f2 APO-Lanthar Aspherical (Sony E-mount) lens
Yokohama, Japan - May 2022

Reactions: JMF
"I've never heard of a Wolseley before, it's the first time for me to see one of these.

1968 Wolseley Hornet MKIII"

You should see it at night, the radiator badge lights up!

Have been seeing more, older, Japanese Domestic Market ("JDM") vehicles in the USA ever since many states started allowing them to be registered for use on public streets. This one sports license plates from Tokyo's Shinagawa Ward.

_DSC0797.jpg

Back