W/NW Diptych, Triptych

lynnb

Mentor
Local time
6:59 AM
Let's see your diptychs and triptychs...

I'll start:

Wetlands diptych
U27021I1616331611.SEQ.0.jpg

EOS100 EF24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
HP5+ in Ilfotec HC 1+47

I have several tryptichs i made with a yashica T4. But they have been printed (professionally) and framed. I don't have a scanner, so guess cannot contribute.

I kind of like representing images as Triptychs now and then. Some seem to work quite well as an alternate way of representing images. I generally do it by cutting up a single image. It provides a new and interesting way of picturing something that can make you think more carefully about what is going on in the images. I think they can be particularly good at showing the busy-busy nature of urban streets as there is a discontinuity about a triptych that somehow reflects the hectic jumble of a busy street scene. Some examples.

South Bank Esplanade Melbourne Tryptich by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Scenes on the Street -Triptych by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Tryptich - Scenes from City Life by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

I've made quite a few polyptychs, but more as a way of making panoramic landscapes with separate frames, a bit like a stitched panoramic that has been left unstiched.
This pentaptych is made from 5 separate consecutive 6x4.5 frames of Kodak Ektar shot using a Pentax 645N.

Crater Lake Pentaptych by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Pentax 645N
SMC Pentax-FA 645 45-85mm f/4.5
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500​

Ice forms along the cliffside at Grohman Narrows Provincial Park near Nelson, BC - Pentax SV/55 Takumar f1.8; Ilford FP4 in Rodinal(Blazinal)

U76197I1616452466.SEQ.0.jpg

I think the thing I like about them is that they can be a good way of telling a story. I often look for ways to make photos into something that forces the viewer to stop and think more deeply about what is happening in the image. Dividing a picture in this manner is like dividing a poem into stanzas or a novel into chapters. Same concept I suppose.

Urban Tryptich by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Two views by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

f1.8 Ultron, Berggerr Pancro 400 (panchromatic); Mamiya Sekor 135mm f4.5, Rollei IR 400 (hyperpanchromatic); 50mm f2 Jupiter 8, Fuji Superia 400 XTRA (color)

In case you are wondering: all 50mm, f2.8 Tessar, ADOX CHS 100 II; f2 Heligon, Ilford HP5+; f1.8 Ultron, ADOX Silvermax 100

Back