W/NW: Megaliths

chris000

Landscaper
Local time
3:23 PM
I live less than two miles from Stonehenge, which I guess most people have heard of. But Stonehenge is one of many thousands of megalithic monuments in the UK and around the world. Let's see your images of your local (or not so local) monument - I'll start you off with a couple from Avebury, Wiltshire's 'other' big stone monument.

PS: The Oxford English Dictionary defines Megalith as:

"A large stone, especially one placed upright as a monument, or part of one"

1429443584_c86eca5403_o.jpg

1428562491_560be5cf74_o.jpg

Both images - R3M

Nice work, guys.

I need to scan the images from our last UK trip in 2000. We went henge hopping, mostly to smaller and less visited sites - Hurlers on Bodmin Moor in was the most powerful one we walked. I'm a good Pagan boy, so this was the equivalent of hitting all the classical cathedrals for others.

The construction guy just down the road was playing with his new front end loader.
Rob

Attachments

• billys megalith.JPG
    billys megalith.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 0
A couple more from Wales which demonstrate that megaliths are not always large and dramatic:

This one is Buwch a'r llo (I can write it but don't ask me how to pronounce it :confused: )

1433677441_d7902cee99_o.jpg

and Llan Fraith:

1433677675_9041dc2bda_o.jpg

Tarxien Temple Complex.
taken by a 25mm Canon Lens on a Leica M3.

Attachments

• a  lintel from a   megalith.JPG
    a lintel from a megalith.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
Hi Chris, I don't have shots of megaliths for you, but 20 km from my house there is a great circle of stones (not like Stonehenge or similar: the stones are not so big, and in contact one to the other, to create a wall): the problem is that it's hidden by the trees, so it's very difficult to make shots.
Ten years ago I visited Stonehenge, and several megalithics sites in England and Cornwall... I remember a strange site called "Men an Tol" ( or something similar), with a big circular stone with an hole in the center, and two menhir on the sides. Me and my friend passed through the hole (contemporary - not simple to do! :) ), and an old man with his wife said "double luck to you", then he and his wife made the same thing (one first, then the other)... Strange enough, do you can say me something about this thing? It seems to be a reminescence of some old ritual ...
Very strange...

Ciao
Franco

ps: sorry for my bad English...

How about a Menhir
set-72157601945092092
- this one's not an ancient original, but does date from 1797 - it's in Brittany, on the Cornuaille peninsula near Quimper, as is the Dolmen. Both by Leica MP + 25mm CZ Biogon on Pan-F+
set-72157601945092092

Attachments

• 070826 029 s.jpg
    070826 029 s.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 070828 033 s.jpg
    070828 033 s.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 070828 034 s.jpg
    070828 034 s.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Poulnabrone Dolmen Portal Tomb about 3 weeks ago.

M6 + ZM21 + Orange & ND3.0 ( to 'delete' tourists ) on Acros / Rodinal.
I need to get into the darkroom to make some decent prints from the trip. I can never work photoshop :-(

Attachments

• Poulnabrone.jpg
    Poulnabrone.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
spiderfrank said:
I remember a strange site called "Men an Tol" ( or something similar), with a big circular stone with an hole in the center, and two menhir on the sides. Me and my friend passed through the hole (contemporary - not simple to do! :) ), and an old man with his wife said "double luck to you", then he and his wife made the same thing (one first, then the other)... Strange enough, do you can say me something about this thing? It seems to be a reminescence of some old ritual ...
Very strange...

Franco,

You have the name right, it is 'Men An Tol' and is near Madron in Cornwall. Holed stones are traditionally regarded as having healing powers.

Try this link for information:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/aburnham/eng/menan.htm

As for the people, well they are a bit strange in Cornwall (nice ..... but strange) whereas those of us from Wiltshire are of course completely normal! :D

Thank you for the link, Chris!! I must say I met all nice and fun people during my little trip there...

Ciao
Franco
ps: I like "strange" people!

polylithic type of megalith (cairn)

polylithic type of megalith (cairn)

In the Upper Michigan town where I used to have a summer house, the locals build and rebuild cairns on the shore of Green Bay. This past summer my grandson and his friend built several; here are some photos.

click the photo for a larger view

l

Back