W/NW Ruins...Derelicts...Abandonments

^ dourbalistar, great photograph and thank you for including the Sutro Baths link; I found it quite fascinating.

All the best,
Mike

38939409200_4ae0b75c13_c.jpg

Flickr
Arco, Italy Leica, CV 21 Tri-X

^ dourbalistar, great photograph and thank you for including the Sutro Baths link; I found it quite fascinating.

All the best,
Mike

Thank you for the kind words, Mike! It's a popular landmark and recreation area locally in the San Francisco Bay Area, but yes, the history is quite interesting. It's also part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, one of the largest urban parks in the world. You may be familiar with another famous historical landmark there, Alcatraz Island.

If you ever watch the end of the film (Dirty Harry) Magnum Force, the film ends at this location on two old WWII era CVL's and the Richmond Bridge in the background. What you see today is one set of the pillons of the dock that led out two the two ships.

18968816484_00c85746c7_b.jpg

^^^ Could this have once been the place of Jimmy Durante's "great big dubbleya"? Somehow it reminds me of that scene late in the MadMadMadMadWorld movie when the protagonists see the palm trees forming that letter...

^
Dourbalistar, thanks for posting the image, it’s very good.

I had never heard of Angel Island State Park. So, of course I googled it and looked at the images, it looks like a great place to visit. Also, thanks for the link to the Library of Congress, I enjoyed looking at the Camp Reynolds Hospital pictures.

All the best,
Mike

^
Dourbalistar, thanks for posting the image, it’s very good.

I had never heard of Angel Island State Park. So, of course I googled it and looked at the images, it looks like a great place to visit. Also, thanks for the link to the Library of Congress, I enjoyed looking at the Camp Reynolds Hospital pictures.

All the best,
Mike

Thank you, Mike! Angel Island is a bit lesser known (to non-locals) compared to the more infamous island in San Francisco Bay, Alcatraz Island. Nevertheless, it's a wonderful place to visit for a day trip, or if you're lucky enough, for overnight camping. There are only 9 environmental campsites on the island so getting a reservation can be tricky, but once the last ferry leaves in the late afternoon, the island is very quiet and secluded. You can hike around most of the island after dark, and enjoy night-time city light views of San Francisco across the bay. :D

Back