W/NW: Shot from the hip

R

Rich Silfver

I've never been a huge fan of 'from the hip shot' - but did shoot a few last weekend and here are three of them.

Camera: Leica M3
Lens: Summicron 50/2
Film: Tri-X 400

62072448.jpg

62072449.jpg

62072450.jpg

If nothing else - it reminded me how much I like the 50mm focal length for candid snaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am a coward. Although seriously I think sometimes you have to shoot and worry about technical niceties later.

Attachments

• walking3.jpg
    walking3.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 0
Rich Silfver said:
I've never been a huge fan of 'from the hip shot' - but did shoot a few last weekend and here are three of them.

You might not be a huge 'fan' but those are pretty good hip shots with a 50. Dude, you must be very aware of your distances. Are those shots from about six feet away? Even stopped down a bit, not too much wiggle room with a 50.

bobomoon said:
You might not be a huge 'fan' but those are pretty good hip shots with a 50. Dude, you must be very aware of your distances. Are those shots from about six feet away? Even stopped down a bit, not too much wiggle room with a 50.

Good guess. I pre-focued at about 1.5-2 metres and held the camera about my waist and chest.

From standing position w/Bronica RF, chatting while she wrote a receipt...

Attachments

• 050628-32.jpg
    050628-32.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
Shooting a hip shoot you rely on your luck! Most of them are waste of film but some are really genius

ARS said:
Shooting a hip shoot you rely on your luck! Most of them are waste of film but some are really genius

I don't see why its luck. And it isn't a waste of film either. If you take each shot seriously and plan it as time allows, you shouldn't have too much trouble. You will need to practice aiming, timing, exposure, and holding-it-still without looking. But since there is nothing magical about looking through the viewfinder anyway (its still all done in your head), it shouldn't make any difference in the long run. Use the force Luke.

10020314-md.jpg

Toby said:
I too am a coward. Although seriously I think sometimes you have to shoot and worry about technical niceties later.

I started out doing it because I thought I was a coward, but it gives a completely different point of view (I'm reasonably tall), allows for much faster shooting, and makes it easier to see the 'decisive moment' if there is one. It also allows for you to wait prepared for that moment without subjects ducking out of your way. I'm not saying that it is the only way to shoot - I still do tripod work and eye-level work as well, but it is enormous fun.

10020318-md.jpg

Back