W/NW: "Street" on the Beach

Yeah, that's the killer shot...''tits and ass'' as per Lenny Bruces's '61 performance at Carnegie Hall... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axEGY1zWe8g ... OK, in this case, minus the tits but still the killer shot.

haha, right!!
For tits, here in Bali, one must look for the..very old ladies. Some of them still walk around topless as they used to do here before Westeners told them that this wasn't decent. Well, now Westerners again do it on some beaches, local watchmen may tell them to cover up because that was not decent, the Westerners responding indignant, complaining how backwards locals were..

A few days ago I was in the car with an Australian photographer. We had passed a very old local lady, obviously very poor woman, carrying a heavy load of dry palm leaves and other wood she had collected on top of her head she will use for cooking, and she was topless. He immediately turned around, passed her again to then waylay her for getting some "shots". She realized it, was not happy about it, stopped walking and talked half loud complaining. So he drove further, around a corner, waited for her there and in the end, using a 800mm lens, did get a few decent photos of her.

One I particularly liked, her look, her eyes and her hand, shriveled skin, fragile looking fingers clasping her walking staff. But of course, not for Balinese but most others, it will be her sagging tits that is the attraction, that make the photo "special"! Maybe, after all, we westerners aren't all that cleared up or enlightened.. yet ;)

Melasti
by andreas, on Flickr, OM Zuiko f2.8/24mm, Sony A7, Bali 2018

Black College reunion at Daytona Beach back in the early 2000's. When shown on the old ContaxG.com website back then, it was the only photo ever to be scored by a member as 1 on the 1-10 scale, 1 being the absolute worst. I was pleased that it evoked such a strong reaction from someone, even if negatively.

BCR-2-girls-on-Boardwalk.jpg

Before the Dutch clergymen were able to instill and enforce their notions of 'decency', Balinese women went around topless.

right Peter! When I wrote westerners told them that topless wasn't decent I was referring to the colonial power and their exponents at that time.

Black College reunion at Daytona Beach back in the early 2000's. When shown on the old ContaxG.com website back then, it was the only photo ever to be scored by a member as 1 on the 1-10 scale, 1 being the absolute worst. I was pleased that it evoked such a strong reaction from someone, even if negatively.

hahaha, where is the thumbs up button? ;)

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr, "Pen-F" Zuiko f1.4/40mm, Sony NEX5n, Vung Tau, Vietnam 2013

Today, there are no more Dutch clergymen...instead, the Indonesian majority is pushing to enforce notions of what is right or wrong. Let's hope, the Balinese will be able to protect their unique culture and way of life.

Today, there are no more Dutch clergymen...instead, the Indonesian majority is pushing to enforce notions of what is right or wrong. Let's hope, the Balinese will be able to protect their unique culture and way of life.

Open chested women, for Balinese, still is something normal, I believe nobody would turn his head. Well, not if it was a local and not so young woman..
Bali is keeping up quite well. In a few days, the day before and the night of the New, or rather Dark Moon there will be Nyepi celebrated, the Balinese New Year. It's a "silent day". 24 hours nobody is allowed on the street, no noise allowed, during night use of light not allowed asf. Years ago Bali succeeded to have the international airport closed for 24 hours too and this year, supposedly, for the first time internet will be shut for 24 hours too.
( great night for taking photos of the sky, the milkyway https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/39058410520/ )

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr, "Pen-F Zuiko f1.8/38mm, Ricoh GXR M, Bali 2014

That is a great picture...and I hope that you are right, and that I am wrong.

thank's Peter and right, I hope I am right too ;)
now it's time for bed.. tomorrow very early I should head for the Masceti beach for this years Melasti that starts early morning . Last year I had arrived late. Another of last year's Melasti:

Melasti
by andreas, on Flickr, Om Zuiko f2.8/24mm, Sony A7, Bali 2018

Leica M2. Super Angulon-M 21/3.4. Kodak Eastman KX SP718 rated 250 ASA, expired 2011. Rodinal 1+50. Epson 4990.
-Beach Tour- 15 Jun 2019-
789x1200x1.jpg

Tsukuihama Beach​
DSC00408.jpg

Sony A7III, Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 lens
Sony Std. Color JPEG
Miura Peninsula, Japan - July 2023
Image is lower resolution than original​

Back