W/NW: Whisky, Whiskey

Hasselblad 500c/m, Zeiss Planar T* 80mm f/2.8 CF, 8mm extension tube, Ilford HP5+.

2017.08.12 Roll #124-01396-Pano-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Dourbalistar, I just bought/acquired a bottle of pure Nikka Unobtainium... yes, a bottle of "From The Barrel". The local liquor store I've patronized for the last 40 something years held a bottle for me, swore me to secrecy, told me not to tell anyone that they sold a bottle too me... and, there was no price gouging!

So, keep this a secret between me and you! Okay?

All the best,
Mike

kevins-stove.jpg

A friend's kitchen
Brilliant picture.

Dourbalistar, I just bought/acquired a bottle of pure Nikka Unobtainium... yes, a bottle of "From The Barrel". The local liquor store I've patronized for the last 40 something years held a bottle for me, swore me to secrecy, told me not to tell anyone that they sold a bottle too me... and, there was no price gouging!

So, keep this a secret between me and you! Okay?

All the best,
Mike
@Yokosuka_Mike, kanpai! I actually bought that bottle from Japan in 2016. It seemed readily available on shelves in Japan, but at that time wasn't available in the US. I believe there are some arcane liquor laws that prevent importing 500mL bottles of distilled spirits. They now import this to the US, but in a larger, less proportional 750ml bottle.

At any rate, Nikka Whisky From the Barrel also seems to have lost the ability to call itself "Japanese" whisky:

Kavalan Distillery, Yilan County.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2023.11.24 Roll #344-08406-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Dourbalistar, I bought a couple bottles of the Kavalan Classic Single Malt Whisky the last time I was in Taiwan (a few years ago). Excellent stuff! A superb world class whisky! I bought from Duty Free, if I ever go back to Taiwan I'd love to tour the distillery.

All the best,
Mike

The local heritage railway had a "whisky train" sampling English whiskies (they were not good, TBH.) Took the opportunity to play with a WINTU for the first time. Definitely not the easiest thing to use, but surprisingly more effective and usable than I thought it would be:

Winko.jpg
(Leica IIIf, Summar w/ WINTU, and Fomapan 100 in Rodinal; exposed at f/2 & 1/60)

Dourbalistar, I bought a couple bottles of the Kavalan Classic Single Malt Whisky the last time I was in Taiwan (a few years ago). Excellent stuff! A superb world class whisky! I bought from Duty Free, if I ever go back to Taiwan I'd love to tour the distillery.

All the best,
Mike
@Yokosuka_Mike, the distillery is located in Yilan County, a little over an hour outside of Taipei by car. You can reserve a free distillery tour 7 days before your visit on their website, and I believe there's also a self-guided tour. The entrance is just below this sign for Distillery #1.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2023.11.24 Roll #344-08386-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

The local heritage railway had a "whisky train" sampling English whiskies (they were not good, TBH.) Took the opportunity to play with a WINTU for the first time. Definitely not the easiest thing to use, but surprisingly more effective and usable than I thought it would be:

View attachment 4834786
(Leica IIIf, Summar w/ WINTU, and Fomapan 100 in Rodinal; exposed at f/2 & 1/60)
I remember adverts for a 90 degree ‘stealth’ mirror hood accessory to fit to your slr, back in my youth. I’m sure that an iPhone is now stealthier

Edited to add - you. Am still get them

Spy mirror lens

Still not stealthy

The different types of barrels that Kavalan uses: Vinho, Brandy, Port, Bourbon.

2023.11.24 Roll #344-08387-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr
Lovely

I barely drink whisky these days - not for any reason really, I still like malts - but a few years ago I took my father in law to visit a famous distillery on Islay and we started the 1030 tour. Within 2 minutes we bumped into the head distiller, who is a renowned stalwart of the industry and a genius, and he invited us into the bonding warehouse where we had a ‘tour’ of the stock. Needless to say, the rest of the day was quiet but a real treat and a privilege.

Back