Walking around a port

A view of Star Ferry Terminal from the exit ramp. Central Harbour Hong Kong

btRBsDy.jpg

This port on Lake Michigan is at the mouth of the Calumet River, just south of Chicago. It used to be a major shipping site, particularly for the steel industry, but all that's all gone. Now, basically gravel, road salt, and recycled metal. Not sure if you can actually walk around this port; I'm on a boat heading upriver.

Incidentally, this location starts the river/canal route between Lake Michigan and the Mississippi, which folks on "The Great Loop" trip take to the Gulf of Mexico.

51874374904_d085f32e78_b.jpg

M6 | ZM 35 C Biogon | HP5+

This port on Lake Michigan is at the mouth of the Calumet River, just south of Chicago. It used to be a major shipping site, particularly for the steel industry, but all that's all gone. Now, basically gravel, road salt, and recycled metal. Not sure if you can actually walk around this port; I'm on a boat heading upriver.

Incidentally, this location starts the river/canal route between Lake Michigan and the Mississippi, which folks on "The Great Loop" trip take to the Gulf of Mexico.

M6 | ZM 35 C Biogon | HP5+

Thank you John for the history... and the picture. These words, "all that's all gone"... make me think in Bilbao, a basque industrial city in the XX century, but all that was all gone and now it is a turistic city. From the big iron industry to the "Guggenheim architecture"...

B&W and colours, so many good pictures in this thread, thanks everybody.

My small contribution, not many ports near my town!

This is Camogli in Liguria, north of Italy.

U3692.1644614296.0.jpg
Leica M10, 35 cron.

Back