What’s Contax RF good for as a user system, compared to Leica and Nikon RF systems?

I was curious, so I got a IIa and IIIa. The Zeiss lenses are amazingly good. The cameras were less to my liking.

I was curious, so I got a IIa and IIIa. The Zeiss lenses are amazingly good. The cameras were less to my liking.

I think that IIa body should show up in the Classifieds shortly. Maybe? Ha!!! My wife would kill me, but have been looking for one in good shape for a while now.

Best,
-Tim

I’ve been enjoying using my iiia as an everyday shooter, but if I’m honest with myself the body is not a patch on an M3 or M2, both of which are much faster to use, are ergonomically far superior and have finders with higher accuracy. However, iso love the Contax and lenses are superb. It’s quirky, but fun to use and I enjoy the battle and slight surprises when seeing resultant photos. It’s helping me loosen up a bit - I’ve shot 4x5” but mostly 8x10” and digital MF on a Linhof exclusively for 10 years and could do with a change up to refresh my eyes.

A Nikon S2 may be better - I’ve never seen one, just used Leica extensively - but the Contax presented itself and was comparatively peanuts in comparison. No regrets thus far.

Follow up to my last post (#34): My Contax IIa came back from Henry Scherer late in 2020. He repaired the shutter, replaced the leather covering, and cleaned and adjusted the camera thoroughly. He also cleaned my Sonnar 50/1.5. The camera now works like new. I took it along on a road trip to the southwest in June, and it performed like a champ. The smallish form factor, quiet shutter, and sharp rangefinder patch are all plusses. In addition to the Sonnar 50, I love the Biogon 35/2.8, particularly with color film. I use the Biogon on Contax and the Nikon S2.

That said, I have not been using the Contax IIIa, especially since the IIa came back from repair. The IIIa was a very nice intro into the world of Contax, but since getting a Nikon S2 and a Bessa R2S I intend to sell the IIIa so that someone else can enjoy it (it’s been CLA’d, but not by Henry Scherer). Watch the Classifieds in the next few days …

The Nikon S2 is one of my favorite cameras; I have an original black one (chrome dial) with matching all black Nikkor 50mm f1.4.

gelatin silver print (nikon s2 black) all black nikkor 50mm f1.4

Erik.

48413194917_c7eb6c4912_b.jpg

The Nikon S2 is one of my favorite cameras; I have an original black one (chrome dial) with matching all black Nikkor 50mm f1.4.

gelatin silver print (nikon s2 black) all black nikkor 50mm f1.4

Erik.

Beautiful shot, Erik! I like my S2 as well. As for the lens, I’ve noticed that you often criticize the Nikkor 50/1.4 (in comparison to other lenses), but you sure take good photos with it.

I fully expect to be drawn, quartered and hanged by the Purists for saying this, but - I use a Contax G1 (in fact I own four of these babies) and five Zeiss Contax G lenses. Entirely happy with these, the cameras have their quirks and there have been small glitches, but overall they've never, ever let me down.

If I could find an affordable (and still functional) Nikon rangefinder I would buy it in a lightning flash. Those Nikkor lenses are the best.

I wouldn't buy into one of the older Contaxes as these are now ancient and they have too many technical problems. Age does that to humans as well...

Back