what camera for street shooting?

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
8:34 PM
strictly for shooting street...no other use, what camera would you choose?

some criteria to use...

must be digital...quick auto focus...interchangeable lens option would be a plus...smallish...

The new Q ticks my boxes, though I can't afford one...and the GR looks nice, too, though I haven't tried it. When I shoot street on film I usually like to zone focus and use a 28.

BUT, if you're going to have AF, maybe face detection could be a useful option. How about one of the smaller, more inexpensive X-series Fujis, with the 18 or compact 27?

X-M1_Silver_Top_27mm-580-100.jpg

strictly for shooting street...no other use, what camera would you choose?

some criteria to use...

must be digital...quick auto focus...interchangeable lens option would be a plus...smallish...

You should have a look at the Olympus Pen Joe. Quick focusing, interchangeable lenses, etc.. With the 28 equivalent lens attached, it will easily fit in a coat/jacket pocket.

Digital with really quick AF is DSLR only for me. EF-S Pancake is available to keep it smallish at Canon SL.
But for really fast and reliable focusing I would go with old MF OM. Zuiko 28mm lens. Very small lens and exеtremelly fast to switch focus between only two necessary positions.
It was my last and most effective street lens on digital camera, before I went film only for the street.

I use a Nikon Df (mostly with the 58mm), a Sony A7 II (mostly with the 35mm), and a Ricoh GR. They seem to cover everything I need.

how very helpful...miss your morning coffee today?

No, had my coffee, did my exercises, now sitting at work, reading your posts. ;-)
Why would my coffee matter? Just like why would any camera matter?
What can you shoot with Leica that you positively cannot shoot with SLR or TLR (on a street that is)?

Sony NEX
full

full

Leica M6
full

full

Canon EOS Elan II
full

Phone camera (Android phone)
full

full

Holga 6x6
full

New106982.jpg

Bessa R
full

Rolleicord III
45796_original.jpg

0434-reallysmall.jpg

0454-reallysmall.jpg

have to agree though, any camera will do for street but depends on your definition of street, still urbanscape, people portrait, candid moments, documentary

if i could choose only one though it would be the GR, who needs fast AF when you have snap mode :p

I like John Free free lessons on the street photography. He is Nikon SLR user.
I was wondering why it is so important for him to mention about training how to focus.
No shots, but a lot of training for focusing. Well, with SLR focusing screen it is.
TLR even worst.
In opposite, RF VF is always ready for framing and focus is fast with the tab.

Back