What have you just BOUGHT?

Spent way too much already this month

summicron.jpg

1954 Leitz 5cm f/2 Summicron in LTM

That collapsible Summicron is gorgeous!

Just received a Zeiss Jena Tessar 3.5/50 T in Exakta mount. The distance scale is in feet, but there is a meter scale with red digits on top of the focus ring. This was an export model for the US market made in 1954, and the last batch produced with this type of housing. It looks like it was the standard lens supplied with the Exakta VX export model. It needs lubrication, but that seems to be rather straightforward. These lenses are supposed to have aperture pre-set, but I cannot figure out how it works. Sometimes when I go past the minimum aperture mark there is a click, but it's not consistent. Has anyone used pre-set on this lens?

TessarExa1.jpg

TessarExa2.jpg

50mmm Collapsible Summicron f2.0. ,I use mine almost always on my M3. Yes! Lens is older than M3, 56 year my use! Get a modern coated filter, to prevent haze and reflections. My one printer thought it the best Summicron! Except here! Used M6TTL.

Mine 2nd version, less radioactive.

Attachments

• 000065180010.jpg
    000065180010.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Just received a Zeiss Jena Tessar 3.5/50 T in Exakta mount. The distance scale is in feet, but there is a meter scale with red digits on top of the focus ring. This was an export model for the US market made in 1954, and the last batch produced with this type of housing. It looks like it was the standard lens supplied with the Exakta VX export model. It needs lubrication, but that seems to be rather straightforward. These lenses are supposed to have aperture pre-set, but I cannot figure out how it works. Sometimes when I go past the minimum aperture mark there is a click, but it's not consistent. Has anyone used pre-set on this lens?

View attachment 4815434

View attachment 4815435

I have a variety of pre-set type lenses, most of them are for Exaktas

The easiest to use and understand is where there are two rings - you set the preset to, for example f/8, and then the actual aperture ring will travel between wide open for focusing and f/8 as your shooting aperture.

Another one has a little knob, you set your minimum aperture by lifting and lowering the knob at that aperture. The ring will then travel between maximum aperture and your set aperture.

A third one, most difficult to figure out, was where you had two rings and you have to pull out the setting ring, set it for your minimum aperture, and then release it. The main aperture ring will then travel between maximum aperture and the set aperture.

I will make some photos of these later this evening and post them. None of my Exakta lenses look like yours though.

I'm all-in with my Bronicas S2A! Just purchased a 645 back, chimney finder, and 50mm f/2.8 Nikkor OC (the late, rare, multicoated version). All that for about $500. Try that with a Hasselblad, oh oops, there is no 50/2.8! Seriously, this camera is fast becoming my favorite 6x6. Bomb-proof, gorgeous, and the lenses are as good as the Hassy's. Different rendition, but Nikkor quality all the way. And the chimney finder is a beautifully finished, solid casting that puts every other to shame.

Here is an Exakta mount preset lens where the button must be pressed and the ring turned to specify the minimum aperture to be used (here f/8). The lens is currently at f/4.5. When turning the ring, it will stop at f/8.

This doesn’t directly answer the question above, but it does give an idea about how most of these preset lenses function.

899E5161-6077-4BD5-8227-47B925D1AB2F.jpeg

Here is an Exakta mount preset lens where the button must be pressed and the ring turned to specify the minimum aperture to be used (here f/8). The lens is currently at f/4.5. When turning the ring, it will stop at f/8.

This doesn’t directly answer the question above, but it does give an idea about how most of these preset lenses function.

View attachment 4815465

Thanks Pál_K! There is no button on my lens and it has only one ring, so it is most likely not a pre-set type lens. What lens is yours, I have not seen that one before?

well it took a couple of months to make up my mind but I wound up with a tt Artisan 50mm f 0.95 Sharper than I expected, yes it's heavy and the front glass is very pretty. If I get the focus correct it's a real gem, practice, practice, practice plus a good work out.....

After selling my beloved Hassy 500c/m I bought a Fujifilm X-Pro 3. I have loved my X100 (original version) for many years and decided to take the plunge to what I consider the most fun RF digi out there. Haven't done any shooting with it yet but soon! BTW I love that it encourages shooting with zero chimping.

Thanks Out. I bought adapters for M mount, LTM and Nikon F. I am going to go crazy with this thing using all my film glass. Plus, with all the film sims, I am shooting JPEG again. Are we having fun or what...lol.

Thanks Pál_K! There is no button on my lens and it has only one ring, so it is most likely not a pre-set type lens. What lens is yours, I have not seen that one before?

It is a Rodenstock Rotelar 180/4.5 which lives among my Exaktas and other lenses:

42666ADF-91F2-41F2-9EEE-CDF79BFA8B6C.jpg

If you try gently, does the aperture ring on your lens pull out or push in?

You may wish to look at these pages just as a source of general information about Exakta lenses:

Canon z115. I had one in the 90s,but lost it when I was burgled. Figured I may want af sometimes and it takes a good picture without the crazy prices that other film compacts demand these days.

It is a Rodenstock Rotelar 180/4.5 which lives among my Exaktas and other lenses:

View attachment 4815504

If you try gently, does the aperture ring on your lens pull out or push in?

You may wish to look at these pages just as a source of general information about Exakta lenses:

It is not possible to either push or pull the aperture ring. I've carefully re-read the German page I use, and it seems that it is the model following this one that has pre-set. The page I'm using has a lot of detailed info on various lenses for Exa/Exakta, you can find it here: Photo but More - by Horst Neuhaus
I've got 8 different lenses for Exa/Exakta from 20 to 100mm, but no long tele-lenses. I very seldom use any longer than 100mm, so I've stopped buying them.
Thanks for your help!

Back