What have you just BOUGHT?

Spent a cold Sunday afternoon at the flea market, and came home with a Sekonic-Master lV meter in perfect working order for $18.00, complete with invercone and case, and dead accurate after at least 50 years! This is a total nostalgia trip, as this was the first hand meter I ever owned, back in my college days.

Popflash dropped the price of the TTArtisans 50/0.95 Titanium version to just under $550. I caved in... I know the seller, and am curious about this lens.

I just had a peek and Popflash is no longer advertising the TTArtisan 0.95/50. It is, however, still discounting the titanium version of the TTArtisan 5.6/28 -a lovely lens, for $298. Cheers, OtL

Check on Ebay, Popflash is putting them up as a BIN- but not advertising on the website.
The Titanium version has a tapered front, 62mm filters rather than 67mm of the silver and black versions. Also a little lighter.

Just bought off Craigslist a Welta Welti, dating from 1936/37 (based on the lens and shutter serial numbers; the body itself has no serial number). 35mm viewfinder folder; Steinheil 50/2.9 Cassar triplet, uncoated, front cell focus; Welta-Compur shutter (1/300 top speed). The seller bought the camera (along with the house and all the rest of its contents) 40+ years ago. The shutter seems right on; glass appeared a little hazy and I cleaned a few internal surfaces, but really that's more a function of the lack of coating. Evidence of prior owner names on and inside the camera, and on the case.

It looks its age -- "honest wear," as they say, but all intact and smoothly functional. Along the way, apparently the cone on the bottom with the tripod mount must have gotten loose, because someone with a file or grinder cut three symmetrical flat ledges into it and tapped threaded holes through it and into the body. Very professional job. Screwed onto the back is a beautifully executed enameled metal depth of field table; quite detailed and perfectly legible. They don't do details like this anymore.

The case isn't original to the camera; it is not a fitted case but rectangular with a top flap. Marked "E.K. 1943" so it's likely a Kodak case of some sort. Heavy leather, quite well made; stitching all intact. A leather and brass closure. The whole thing is reminiscent of a cartridge box. It's probably been with the camera for close to 80 years at this point.

Looking forward to seeing how it does!

Digital camera kit compaction program underway. Of course, it starts with an expansion ... The goal is to end up with matched Leica digital Ms, one B&W and one color, that share all accessories and lenses, and sell all the other digital cameras (and all unneeded lenses). This compaction program will reduce the camera decision confusion ... Most of the time I'll just reach for whichever of the two bodies I want on a given session based on whether I'm thinking in B&W or Color that moment.

I have the M10-M already. So I ordered a nice Leica M10-R black chrome and a Summicron-M 28 ASPH ... secondhand, mint ... from my favorite Leica dealer.

Now to set about selling the other stuff...

G

I bought a B+W 20mm olive-green/yellow-green/light-green (hard to describe green) push on filter for my altitx III, unfortunately it is marginally too small. I bought this because I'd previously bought what was sold as a 20mm green filter made by Actina which had had the back of the body as well as the tabs squished in a bit to make it fit by previous owner, but as I prefer the B+W style tabs I bought the B+W. I also bought a Kodak 210-250 push on sort of combined step-up filter holder, which pushes onto 21mm and holds 25mm filters. This fits the front of my Altix III and I'll be using it as a lens-hood. Dunno if the bit at the front which screws off to fit the filter into the holder will cause vignetting, but I'll try using the whole thing with the front screwed out half-way as without that bit I'd be using as the hood is a bit shallow.

Artisan & Artist Red 76 Pouch, OpTech 253 Fold-over Pouch, and OpTech 301 Fold-over Pouch. The 253 fits the Voigtländer SC 25mm with Finder, or will fit the Nikkor S 50mm f1,4 with hood attached. The 301 fits a couple 43mm filters, 43mm lens cap, film canister cap to fit the rear of the Nikkor S 50mm, and a Doomo Meter S. All of that fits into the Artisan & Artist 76 bag with my Nikon S3 2000. This is all intended to fit in another bag, or with clothing in luggage, making a tidy travel-ready package.

Attachments

• D72EABC8-762A-403C-B89B-A0A62BF23A9D.jpeg
    D72EABC8-762A-403C-B89B-A0A62BF23A9D.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 4
  • BAF0B03D-EBB3-4F64-9A44-044E8916C6BC.jpeg
    BAF0B03D-EBB3-4F64-9A44-044E8916C6BC.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 98B03CF2-24E0-44A2-B3E5-48536095CD04.jpeg
    98B03CF2-24E0-44A2-B3E5-48536095CD04.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 5
  • B2D3BC91-ABD8-4B31-8608-DB5571061469.jpeg
    B2D3BC91-ABD8-4B31-8608-DB5571061469.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 5
Found an 8 element Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4 listed on a used dealer amongst all the 7 element versions at a comparable price. The SP500 was another $21.

52656119506_35fed03c3a_c.jpg

52656119426_510dec73ed_c.jpg

Both need a little bit of work. Aperture gets a little stiffer at f8 and above. The camera doesn't always fire properly when the metering switch is up, it sometimes moves the meter up but doesn't really fire the shutter. Is fine without the meter though.

Shawn

One more thing that arrived today.
52657578860_e23eb603df_c.jpg

Found at KEH listed as inoperative for the price of a couple of rolls of C41.

Kind of a basket case. Mismatched replacement leather on one side that was applied ugly and is too small, very dim RF patch, helicoid was really stiff and the shutter was not firing on slow speeds. The edge of the film take up spool is cracked too but doesn't seem like it will be a problem.

Opened it up and cleaned and realigned the rangefinder. The front glass in the rangefinder has a crack in it and the prism has a crack in it too. Neither is noticeable when looking through the viewfinder though. Now the RF patch is much better and aligned better too. Removed the shutter and cleaned it, and relubricated the helicoid and cleaned some of the film counter mechanism. Someone was in it before and put it back together kind of rough so I hope it is all correct now as it was tough to get the top plate back on without throwing something off.

On the plus side the Ektar lens is just about perfect...

52657414519_1c07d9202d_c.jpg

Shawn

Wow!! I have never even heard of this! Fascinating. So is there a stereo viewer for this camera too?

Yes there is a dedicated viewer for this camera, but I think you could use a Revere viewer as well. It does 24x24mm pairs across a vertically-running roll of 120. I have some ideas for it, we’ll see if they pan out!

BTW the company (ISO) also made that beautiful rangefinder called the Reporter.

Last edited:
Found an 8 element Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4 listed on a used dealer amongst all the 7 element versions at a comparable price. The SP500 was another $21.

52656119426_510dec73ed_c.jpg
The serial number of your SP500 isn’t too far off of mine, bought new in 1971. Looks good and should last a long time. I don’t understand the reputation these 8-element 50/1.4’s have - try as I might, my 8-element is not as sharp as my ordinary 55/2.

Back