Other/Uncategorized What is happening with apparently new Barnack copies? My Shanghai 58 puzzle.

Other Screw mount bodies/lenses

neal3k

Well-known
Local time
5:00 PM
I've written the Etsy shop owner and he said he has his own shop and makes cameras to order. There seems to be a bit of a communication problem with my more complex questions. I'm not sure what is happening but the copy looks new. I have not shot mine yet but everything seems to be well made and working properly.

First, my original Shanghai 58.

Shanghai 58 by Neal Wellons, on Flickr

Note the slow speed dial. You may notice the viewfinder is different from the Leica III which it mostly copies. The Shanghai 58 has a combined viewfinder/rangefinder.

Now the new kid. I don't know anything about it except I got it on Etsy from a Ukrainian dealer. I'm not so sure but here are some shots for your entertainment/comments.

it has no slow speed dial so it is more like the Zorki 1, based on the Leica II. The rangefinder cam is solid as in the Zorki also. The viewfinder and rangefinder are separate.

Shanghai 58 New Copy by Neal Wellons, on Flickr

Shanghai 58 New Copy Front by Neal Wellons, on Flickr

Shanghai 58 New Copy Top by Neal Wellons, on Flickr

Shanghai 58 New Copy Bottom by Neal Wellons, on Flickr

This one will really catch your attention:

Shanghai 58 New Copy Inside by Neal Wellons, on Flickr

Does anyone have more information on the apparently new camera? The Etsy seller also has really bright ones and odd ones with inscriptions like the Hindenberg and Titanic. It's really odd, at least to me.

Thanks Nathan, I believe you are right. While everything seems like new and smooth, I found a problem loading it. The rewind knob is so tight it will not allow film to move from the cassette nor will it turn in the rewind direction without lots of force. Worse, it doesn't extend so it is like turning the knob on my Leica I, except much, much tighter. I've written the builder for help. Hopefully we can get past the language gap.

If they put as much care and attention to making the Zorki and Feds wotk reliably as they do making them look good, they would probably sell the cameras for just as much and have content buyers. Many of the Ebay sellers advertise the cameras as "Copies".

That's pretty neat, but the "B" character by the rewind lever, plus the distinctive way the leatherette wraps around the lens mount, looks very Zorki.

I'm sure it is a Zorki now. I've freed the pop up function of the rewind (maybe it was stuck paint) and am exercising it. It looks like I may be able to load and shoot it soon.

I've always wanted one of those black paint Zorki's, but not if it's been re-engraved into something else.

PF

I'm pretty sure I know who is making those. He's a Russian guy named Vadim Aniskov. He makes fake Leicas painted in often ridiculous colors and sells them on Ebay and Facebook. Here's some examples of his work:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=999295277325754&set=g.360490091319202

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=999295390659076&set=g.360490091319202

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=999295427325739&set=g.360490091319202

He posts these in a Facebook group I belong to. I haven't seen him post any photos purporting to be Chinese cameras, but the pics neal3k posted look like his handiwork.

That's probably him. I've seen hideous colored ones on his site. What amazes me is how new this camera looks, inside and outside. I wonder where he sourced it.

These Zorki 1 cameras are also re-labeled as Tanack and Leotax and Nicca cameras...as Japanese Leica copies are more desirable to own then these common FSU cameras.
They really fool no one and a pristine Zorki 1 or Fed 1 is more desirable to own in my opinion.

I still would like to see somebody offer mechanically well sorted and custom painted FSU rangefinders. And would be willing to pay moderately serious money for one.
Something like a black or dark blue painted Zorki 3M with green "leather" appeals to me. The re-paints that are trying to fool people are repugnant to me but a camera that is just built to look cool can be quite fun I think.
Not sure there is a huge market for such a thing but I do think there is one.

I get the impression that this dealer/craftsman could do a custom job anyway you like. What impressed me was how new looking my camera is, especially the inside and that is why I wanted to get it. An almost new Zorki with any label was alright with me, except for the garish ones. I'm hoping it will be a fine shooter.

Back