What is is the best USED film Leica M camera for the money?

Which used film Leica M camera is the best value for the money?

• Leica M3

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Leica M2

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Leica M4

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Leica M4-2

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Leica M4-P

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Leica M5

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Leica CL

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Leica M6 Classic / TTL

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Leica M7

• Leica MP

• Total voters
The M5 is the one M I should’ve bought instead of an extra M3 and extra M6.

Two things I may never know about Leica is why they chose the meter on a stick for the M5 instead of the white patch on the curtain as they did for the M6. Maybe the technology wasn’t good enough. The other puzzle is why they chose 50-90-135 for the M3. Perhaps their intent was that if you like the longer focal lengths, get the M3, otherwise get the M2.

As for Edsels, in 1960 they looked good. My understanding is that the car failed due to its price point and features relative to the Mercury and Lincoln.

View attachment 4820875View attachment 4820876

I actually prefer the stick/needle metering. Like it on the Canon FTb too. Hate the diodes. That's just me though.

I actually prefer the stick/needle metering. Like it on the Canon FTb too. Hate the diodes. That's just me though.
Me too! The M6 diodes are too bright. The analog meter gives a much better indication of how many stops away from recommended exposure.

Me too! The M6 diodes are too bright. The analog meter gives a much better indication of how many stops away from recommended exposure.

Until it's dark outside and you can't see a damned thing. Think: FM3a vs FM2n viewfinder.

By the “metering stick”, I’m not referring to match needle metering in the viewfinder, but rather the meter stick that pops up in front of the focal plane shutter and which has to duck down when the release is pressed.

Until it's dark outside and you can't see a damned thing. Think: FM3a vs FM2n viewfinder.
When it's dark enough to not see I'm usually not shooting. :D

Seriously, the other factor with diodes is when there is quickly varying lighting. It can drive one a bit batty trying to chase the diodes.

This happened when I shot concerts with a Nikon FM, which also uses LED indicators. Shooting transparencies which had little exposure latitude, I had to de-program my brain to not be so dependent on matching the diodes.

Like every tool, how it handles for the user is at least as important as its specifications (true of cars, guitars, hand tools etc).
Amen.

The wisdom you've shared applies to any camera (as well as cars, guitars, hand tools, etc.) and not just Leica M film cameras. When it comes to photography, it is undeniable that the camera itself plays a major role in the user experience. This is a big part of why I still enjoy shooting film — I like the experience of using film cameras. I also like having the resulting negatives & transparencies, but beyond that the extra expense and effort can be hard to justify at times.

As far as best used film Leica M for the money goes, I would have a hard time choosing/recommending any of them given today's prices. Personally I'm not concerned about the sort of things that others are such as brass top plates or "adjust and fit" assembly processes. I'm under the impression that all Leica M film cameras are quality photographic tools regardless of these things. No doubt they'll all easily outlast myself. I would have guessed that any of the Canadian models would be the best for the money given that so many people seemingly turned their noses up at them as compared to the German made models — is this no longer the case?

Ultimately a person would be wise to learn as much about the various models as possible to determine if any of them hold greater appeal, or if some do not appeal at all. Make a list of what models would work for you and go from there. I would guess that the best for the money is probably going to be determined by the market at any given time depending on what camera can be found in the best condition for the lowest price. What particular model that might end up being will likely change from day to day.

Back